Who can I claim as a dependent?
On your 2014 return, you might be able to claim any person who lived in your home all year, is not being claimed by someone else, is not filing jointly, was a U.S. citizen, national, or resident alien (or a Canadian or Mexican resident) for at least part of the year, had less than $3,950 gross income in 2014, and received more than 50% of their support from you.
When you go through the Personal Info section of TurboTax, we'll figure out if your dependent can be claimed and for how much. Every dependent you claim can increase your personal exemption by up to $3,950.
- Does a dependent have to live with me?
- What does "financially support another person" mean?
- Can I claim myself or my spouse as a dependent?
- Can I claim my parent as a dependent?
- Is my dog (cat, hamster, canary, goldfish, etc.) a dependent?