This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

I recevied an email regarding settlement of a Class Action Lawsuit with TurboTax, but I am not cofortable going to an unsolicted website and giving my prsonal information- can anyone confirm that a settlement was reached in this lawsuit against TT?

• It is because they basically "loaned" customers the money to pay for a service that the customers would actually pay for when the customers tax refund came. The problem with that is: intuit did not disclose an apr (annual percentage rate) for this "loan".
  • Turbo Tax does not make "loans".  It is not a RAL.  You have the option of paying the Turbo Tax fees out of your federal refund.  There is a flat 29.99 service charge for that because your refund has to go through a third party bank to have the fees deducted.  Or you can pay with a credit card and avoid the extra service charge.
  • I called turbotax they said it was real but to contact them through mail or the number on turbotaxclassaction.com
  • I received the email also..I wasn't sure if it was legit or not. I was also a little unsure about sending my information with the website not being secure. Maybe I should call Turbotax to verify.
  • NOTE:  DO NOT CALL TURBOTAX
    : DO NOT CALL OR WRITE THE COURT,THE COURT CLERK’S OFFICE,INTUIT, OR INTUIT’S COUNSEL FOR MORE INFORMATION.

Court specific  published how to contact information;

If you are not sure whether you are in the Settlement Class, or have any other questions about the
    Settlement, visit the Settlement website at www.TurboTaxClassAction.com or call the toll free number 1-888-980-9394. You may also send questions to the Settlement Administrator through the ‘Contact Us’section of the Settlement website or by mail addressed to TurboTax Class Action, Settlement Administrator,c/o Heffler Claims Group, P.O.Box 220, Philadelphia, PA 19105-0220.
The e-mail is not spam.  There is a class action lawsuit against Intuit, the makers of TurboTax.
If you opted to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your Federal Tax refund when you used the online editions of TurboTax to complete your tax return during the timeframe January 12, 2008 through May 28, 2013.
This payment of TurboTax fees is called Refund Processing Service and a fee was deducted from your Federal refund to use this service.  This fee was, as noted, typically $29.95.

http://www.turbotaxclassaction.com/ 

You can call the toll free number or use the website noted in the e-mail to submit a claim.
I support Turbotax... sounds like dirty lawyers licking their chops at a chance to make money off a legitamite company and service.  Turbotax has a well thought-out program that keeps nothing but the best interest of their customer in mind.  It's the american way to offer a honest service for a fair price just like the butcher and the candlestick maker.
  • I agree, TT is not the only company that offers this service, they just have deep pockets so they are a large target. What do you have when there are 100 lawyers up to their necks in sand? NOT ENOUGH SAND !!!!  LOL
Is not worth it. TT have 24 Million customers divide that for the amount of the settlement. It equal .54 cents minus 25% of attorney fees.
  • Therealprincebor : You really have to read the entire e-mail prior responding an estimated figure you believe is correct. If your estimated figure (24 million) TT customers is correct , you must note that not (all) of TT customers received an e-mail and are eligible for this settlement. It only applies to TT customers that chose the (free edition) and so on. Now (we) can't determine how many TT customers chose the (free edition), can we ? If the ratio is (slim) it can be worth it - who knows ?
  • Very true...
  • Typo :": If You Used TurboTax Online and Opted to have your TurboTax Fees Deducted from your Tax Return for a Fee,
    You May Be Eligible for a Payment from a Class Action Settlement. "
  • Good luck
  • So for people that used the "free" version would they still be eligible for this? I got an email too but I only use the free version every year.
  • Is it called "Less BANK Refund Processing Service Fee"?

The state return is additional in all versions including the Federal Free Edition.  You can also pay the state fee by having it deducted from a Federal refund (not state refund).  There is an extra 29.99 Refund Processing Service Charge for that.
  • This case was brought as a class action alleging that Intuit engaged in violations of California and federal consumer protection laws in connection with the Refund Processing Service offered through TurboTax Online. More specifically, the lawsuit alleges, among other things, that Intuit failed to properly disclose the fee for the Refund Processing Service as a finance charge, and failed to properly disclose the Annual Percentage Rate (“APR”) of what Plaintiffs alleged was a loan. Plaintiffs allege that Intuit’s failure to make these disclosures violated California’s consumer protection laws as well as the federal Truth-in-Lending- Act.
    The complaint in the lawsuit is posted at www.TurboTaxClassAction.com, and contains all of the allegations and claims asserted against Intuit. Intuit denies these allegations; however, in order to avoid the expense, inconvenience, and distraction of continued litigation, Intuit has agreed to the settlement described herein.
  • Although TT doesn't make loans the lawsuit is twisting that around a little. It's premise is that the time it takes for the IRS to deposit the refund to pay the fee seems to constitute a "loan" of sorts in the state of CA instead of a transaction fe.  In lieu of further litigation large companies do 2 things. First they agree to settle a class action suit which means the people that take part will most likely get a few pennies  of the $30 fee that is being contested( If they are lucky) and only if they file a timely claim. This saves companies much more in time and money than fighting it further to prove their position and then second, the wording on the "fee" will be changed going forward until the next time it is challenged. .  As to the part of the suit on making the freedom edition ( thru the IRS)  easier to find I would not hold my breath if I were you since all the companies handle this the same way. They have to provide the service but they don't have to advertise it.

This happens every couple of years when some lawyers look to make some money filing these kinds of suits and they are the only ones making any real money on this situation. This is how the paperwork for those RAL's went from two 8X10 pages to eight legal sized sheets.
  • Well said mike, thanks.
  • Glad I could be of assistance.
  • That  would be the case if everyone actually fills out a claim form, the less people who care, the more money to be divided. Will only be about $10 I bet.... Still, today... $10 is $10, and when I filed with them this year with basic my fees came to $84....wish I knew how.....
  • any one going against t;turbo tax is a greedy dick this company offers an affordable service for poor Americans that is the only reason they are targeted
  • I agree, Turbo Tax is a far better service than many others that I wont name, it is also faster to go with turbo tax than to have to wait for the IRS. This is a fair price for the service and I for one will not complain or take part in any kind of negative action against Turbo Tax.
    I have been a happy customer with them for over 8 years and I'm still happy with them today. They make it easy to look up deductions and to figure out deductions. I can't say enough good things about them. Most people were happy when they first used the service and they should maintain that degree of content now. I also agree that his will seem to some, as a quick way of getting some quick cash! and I urge them to think before they leap! I see nothing wrong with the way Turbo Tax conducts itself and again, for all the assistance that they offer during the filling stage, that alone is worth the fee the ask for....
  • Yea right...I was told I would be charged $29.99 and in fact this year I was charged around $80... For what I have no idea this was the first time it has ever cost me that much in fees. Not greedy, just want my money back. I don't know if where u come from money goes on trees, but being over charged by $50 and wanting my money back does not make me greed. At least u r just less people who will claim, so more money for my greedy ass I suppose......
  • What version did you use?  State is additional in all versions and to have the fees deducted from a federal refund is an EXTRA 29.99 service charge.
    How to find your fees…
    Log in to your return
    Click on Tools
    Click on My Fees
    A window will pop up that shows the fees