This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

Should I join the class action lawsuit against Turbo Tax for charging me to use the "free" online edition, or will Turbo Tax refund my $30?

There is a class action lawsuit against Turbo Tax for advertising "free online" edition, but then charging to file it. I have used Turbo Tax several times in the past several years, and was never charged for their free online edition. This time (2013 for 2012 tax returns) I was charged $30. I'm wondering if I should join the class action, or just tell Turbo Tax if they refund my money I'll forgive them and keep using them...?
  • did you file a state return? Those are not in the free file promo.
  • You can join if you like but after several years of litigation, if you prevail,  the amount paid per plaintiff (after lawyer fees are taken)) will be just a couple of dollars each.  This will most likely not result in a payoff but just better wording on the web site about the free vs freedom editions. The other part of the suit is about the fee for having the TT cost withheld from the refund. This fee has been upheld in court before since it is a clearly defined option and not a forced requirement to efile.
  • The proposed settlement of the class action has nothing to do with charging for using Free Edition. It is for people who chose to use the Refund Processing service to have TurboTax fees deducted from their federal tax refund.
  • This just proves that we have to many lawyers trying to make an easy dollar. I have used Turbo Tax for years and I have never felt that they over charged or had hidden charges. The final outcome will be that we as users will pay the cost of any lawsuit. Just as mentioned in an earlier comment the option to have the cost withheld is a choice provided that a user opts to utilize. I would hate to loose that option as a result of play on words. There were times in my past where I didn't have the money to pay up front and Intuit let me file with no cash out of pocket. I personally  appreciate them doing that.
  • @rjs...thank you for clarifying this for everyone. Also Critter is trying to explain the argument that TT has but TT has already agreed on the settlement amount.  Now its just motions and the courts will agree and so on.
  • I just want a refund.  I often dont use anything special and go all free and still get charged $30 by the end of it and always wondered why it was never really free.  Charges for a service thats just basic and stuff.
  • When you use the Free Edition, it is free to prepare and file the federal return. However, there is a charge for preparing a state return. You must delete the state return to avoid the charge.

If you are not sure whether you are in the Settlement Class, or have any other questions about the Settlement, visit the Settlement website at www.turbotaxclassaction.com or call the toll free number 1-888-980-9394. You may also send questions to the Settlement Administrator through the 'Contact Us' section of the Settlement website or by mail addressed to TurboTax Class Action, Settlement Administrator, c/o Heffler Claims Group, P.O. Box 220, Philadelphia, PA 19105-0220.

NOTE: DO NOT CALL OR WRITE THE COURT, THE COURT CLERK’S OFFICE, INTUIT, OR INTUIT’S COUNSEL FOR MORE INFORMATION.