TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Same Sex Marriage filing

The guidance given on this site in FAQ about Same Sex Marriages is now wholly inaccurate as it relates to the Federal return: "How do I prepare a return if I am in a RDP, civil union, or same-sex marriage? Article ID: GEN12380  The federal government and many state governments do not recognize registered domestic partnerships (RDPs), civil unions, or same-sex marriages and therefore give same-sex couples no other choice than to file single tax returns.".  I was legally married in the State Of New York and will file a Federal Return as Married Filing Jointly.  I cannot file that status, however, in the State I live in (Arizona) and earned my income in.  How will Turbo Tax be handling this situation?  I want to continue to use Turbo Tax Online as I have for years, but want to know that these situations will be handled first.  Until the overturn of DOMA, it wasn't an issue.... I had to file single everywhere, as their (now outdated) FAQ states.  But that's not the case now, I can at least take advantage of the MFJ status on the Fed side.
  • Same-sex couples in Louisiana, legally married in another state, must use a filing status other that MARRIED (single, head of household).  I am filing my federal taxes as "Married Filing Jointly" but I must use "Single" for my Louisiana state taxes.  This protocol has been decided by the State of Louisiana DESPITE the fact that Louisiana state taxes are tied to the federal tax form. What process must I use to fill out my state taxes through TurboTax?
Here's the latest link, issued by TT, since the Supreme Court Ruling:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Correct--Amend--Return/How-does-the-Supreme-Court-overturning-...
    It is FAR too soon to evauate all of the ramifications of the DOMA decision. 

TTX will surely follow whatever the IRS, and each state eventually decides, and there will be a way for you to file in AZ, in some manner....

BUT

You should read the first  "Caution:" on page 1 of the following discussion:
    http://tax.cchgroup.com/downloads/files/pdfs/legislation/SupremeCourt-DOMA-ruling.pdf

and then wait 3-to-6 months for the rules to get ironed out.

I have no idea I feel asleep at some point

Similar questions other people found helpful: