Same Sex Marriage filing

The guidance given on this site in FAQ about Same Sex Marriages is now wholly inaccurate as it relates to the Federal return: "How do I prepare a return if I am in a RDP, civil union, or same-sex marriage? Article ID: GEN12380  The federal government and many state governments do not recognize registered domestic partnerships (RDPs), civil unions, or same-sex marriages and therefore give same-sex couples no other choice than to file single tax returns.".  I was legally married in the State Of New York and will file a Federal Return as Married Filing Jointly.  I cannot file that status, however, in the State I live in (Arizona) and earned my income in.  How will Turbo Tax be handling this situation?  I want to continue to use Turbo Tax Online as I have for years, but want to know that these situations will be handled first.  Until the overturn of DOMA, it wasn't an issue.... I had to file single everywhere, as their (now outdated) FAQ states.  But that's not the case now, I can at least take advantage of the MFJ status on the Fed side.

Answer

3 people found this helpful

Here's the latest link, issued by TT, since the Supreme Court Ruling:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Correct--Amend--Return/How-does-the-Supreme-Court-overturning-...
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
Kat
SuperUser
2 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community