I got a CP22A form from the IRS saying I owe money, what can I do?

I have filed through turbotax since 2005 and never had to owe money before.  I try to make the process as easy as possible.  I have one job.  No strange deductions.  I just file what was based on my W2.  I also had the same job for 7 years.

Anyway, in 2011 tax year I was the victim of identity theft.  And apparently the other person used turbotax and filed using my information.  They filed earlier so I couldn't file electronically.   I sent all the paperwork about the theft to the police and to the IRS.  I think they sent one form back (after a year) that they received the request.

For that 2011 tax year, I wasn't able to file electronically.  I file my information based on information from turbotax, through the mail.  Turbotax documents say I owe 9 dollars.  Now the IRS says I owe several thousand.  

I got the CP22A form that says I owe several thousand.   It basically says they corrected my 1040 tax form, you owe money.

I have to pay in a couple of weeks.  I will contact the IRS through the number, maybe visit a local office.  If they say I should just pay up.  What can I do?  Should I contact turbotax?  Should I get a tax lawyer?  I think the identity theft must of messed up information in their system.
    Carefully review the letter to determine what the IRS changed and if you disagree the letter clearly states how to respond.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Understanding-your-CP22A-Notice
    • What else can I do before hand or what do I tell them.  I am really just going based on information from turbotax.  What should I look for in my turbotax 1040 form?
    • It says increase in tax (11+ thousand) and increase in tax withheld (-8000).    You owe 3000.  Maybe that was related to the fraud incident.
    • You should look at the letter & the 1040 form to see what they changed then call the number on the letter for clarification and direction. They are increasing your tax & withholdings so they must also be adding income, do you agree with that or not.