TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Rejected efile IND-510 - Spouse SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Primary SSN on another tax return." Spouses SSN stolen?

  • how do i get there to change it I inadvertently did that
Here is more info at http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Efile-status/E-file-rejection-errors-0508--IND-508--or-IND-510...

Copied verbatim ..

Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0508IND-508, or IND-510, along with this explanation:

The primary taxpayer's Social Security number was used as a secondary taxpayer's Social Security number on another return (the other return has a filing status of married filing jointly or head of household/claiming exemption for spouse) AND/OR The secondary taxpayer's Social Security number was used as the primary taxpayer's Social Security number on another return.

Note: The primary and secondary taxpayers are the persons listed first and second on the tax return: 

How to resolve this error

To correct an error relating to primary or secondary taxpayer's social security number, follow these steps:

  1. If you need to reference the e-file status information for this return at any time, select the File tab at the top of your screen, then select Check E-file Status.
  2. Select the Personal Info tab at the top.
  3. Select You and Your Family. At the Your Personal Info Summary screen, Press Edit to the right of the person whose SSN you'd like to check.
  4. Verify that the taxpayer's social security number (SSN) matches the information on their social security card.
    • If you used this social security number on a prior-year return for the current tax year, the primary or secondary taxpayer's SSN has been accepted on a previous tax return. This return is not eligible to be filed electronically for the current tax year. You must print and file this tax return by mail.
    • If you didn't use this social security number on a prior-year return, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 to verify what it has in its records for the primary and secondary taxpayer. The SSA may need to update its records. If so, it could take up to four weeks. When the records are updated, you can then re-transmit the tax return. You will not be charged to e-file the same tax return.

To print your tax return and file by mail, follow these steps:

  1. At the top of your screen, select the File tab.
  2. Select File by Mail. You'll see the Print Return(s) to Mail Interview topic.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to print your return and file by mail.
  • WOW, can't believe TurboTax does not have a handle on this error. TurboTax should be able to direct us to details about the error instead of leaving us in the dark by giving out telephone numbers to call the IRS and the SSA.
  • My husband and I are scared to death, hoping we are not the victims of SSN theft. I can't believe Turbo Tax so neglected on this issue. This is a serious matter and they are not providing and explaining much details. They are not helpful at all.
  • I am in the same boat. The IRS is closed today, so I called Turbotax. They called back in 5 mins. Although I didnt get a resolution, they confirmed there was no return filed this year (other than mine, which was rejected for IND-510). They told me to call the IRS when they open tomorrow and in the meantime call the cops because this is an identity theft. Be realistic people. What else can they do? It is the IRS that accepts returns from anybody, not Turbotax. They verified in their system, the other returns must have been filed by paper or through other means, not their system. Most likely the IRS will ask for paper returns, a letter explaining that this is the legitimate return, and to include a police report.
  • I received the same error when filing my taxes for my 2012 return.  My identity was stolen and a false return was filed.  First call the IRS to verify whether a return was already filed using your SSN.  Our filings were always married with my husband as the first SSN and me listed as the 2nd.  The bogus return had me listed as primary and someone other than my spouse listed as 2nd - they would not tell me the name of the 'spouse' but confirmed it was not my husband.  If you confirm that your identity was in fact stolen, there are certain steps to follow including (but not limited to), filing a Police Report, filling out IRS form 14039, calling the 3 credit bureaus to have a fraud alert placed on their files, contacting the FTC to file an Identity Theft Affidavit.  I also called my banks and they set up a password on my accounts so that anyone calling in for information on these accounts would need to provide the password.  You will also want to contact your state IRS; I thought there was no problem with my state return because my check had been cashed (I owed the state money).  However, the state return was also fraudulent and the state IRS contact helped me get that processed.  Be sure to document every conversation - who you spoke with and take notes.  I found that the person I contacted at the state IRS in Connecticut was far more helpful than the federal IRS staff.  They sent me a large booklet on what to do if your ID is stolen.  Also, call back every couple of weeks to get progress reports - it took me eleven months before I got my refund check.  This is a multi BILLION dollar problem.  Good Luck.
Could be or it could be an IRS glinch. Best to file on paper.
  • Dont just file on paper. Follow pnagle1's steps. There is a possibility that IF your identity has been stolen your refund will not be issued and the IRS will get in touch with you to STILL prove that you are who you say you are. COntact the IRS immediately. It took me 2 days to get someone on the phone, but the IRS was great at identifying the first steps and putting me on the right track. Most importantly, they put a freeze on the criminal's refund ( he / she was about to get it deposited on their debit card!). pnagle1 is right.
Check with the IRS to see if someone has filed a tax return using yours or your spouse's SSN.  1-800-908-4490 IRS identity theft hotline.
  • I have tried numerous times calling that number and cannot get any assistance.
Contribute an answer

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Similar questions other people found helpful: