Amended Tax Returns: What will I pay?

I filed my taxes a few weeks ago and on that tax return, I showed that I owed the IRS and state money.  So, I set up the money to be deduct out of my bank account on the days that the money is due for state and federal.  However, right after I did all of this,  I realize I made a few mistakes and didn't add my 2011 items that I wanted to file for this years tax.  During that time, I didn't know I could amend my tax return to correct it.

However, yesterday I told about being able to amend my taxes, so I went back and did the process.  Now, on the amended tax return, after correcting my mistakes and adding 2011 taxes to this, it turned out that I don't owe the IRS any money but I owe the state a money.  

My question is that on April 15th, since I set up the payments to be taking out of my bank account by the IRS and state for the amounts that were on my original tax return, will this money still be taking out even after the fact that I amended my tax return and now it turns out that I don't owe the money.  I mailed my amended taxes returns off today but I don't think they will get to the their destination in time before the tax deadline to pay.  

I just need to know what I will be paying on the 15 of April and the 15 of May?  Will I pay the original amounts or  will I pay the amended tax return money that I owe.  Please note the amended taxes haven't been received by IRS or state yet.

Answer

It's not clear what you did to your return to add 2011 items. You can't put income or deductions that occurred in 2011 on a 2012 tax return. If that is what you did, you must amend your 2012 return again to remove them.

Your amended return will not be processed in time to change your April 15 debit. If you are going to amend your return again to remove 2011 items that should not have been entered on your 2012 return, you will probably want to leave the scheduled debit in place. However, if you want to stop it, there is a number you can call at the IRS to do that. You must call at least 2 business days before the scheduled debit. Here is the number: 1-888-353-4537

I don't have a state contact for you.
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original d5efadcf497ea7b3d86c6f8d148d66633a29ce78fa8391af628adf32d9989354
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community