TurboTax AnswerXchange Home

Amended Tax Returns: What will I pay?

I filed my taxes a few weeks ago and on that tax return, I showed that I owed the IRS and state money.  So, I set up the money to be deduct out of my bank account on the days that the money is due for state and federal.  However, right after I did all of this,  I realize I made a few mistakes and didn't add my 2011 items that I wanted to file for this years tax.  During that time, I didn't know I could amend my tax return to correct it.

However, yesterday I told about being able to amend my taxes, so I went back and did the process.  Now, on the amended tax return, after correcting my mistakes and adding 2011 taxes to this, it turned out that I don't owe the IRS any money but I owe the state a money.  

My question is that on April 15th, since I set up the payments to be taking out of my bank account by the IRS and state for the amounts that were on my original tax return, will this money still be taking out even after the fact that I amended my tax return and now it turns out that I don't owe the money.  I mailed my amended taxes returns off today but I don't think they will get to the their destination in time before the tax deadline to pay.  

I just need to know what I will be paying on the 15 of April and the 15 of May?  Will I pay the original amounts or  will I pay the amended tax return money that I owe.  Please note the amended taxes haven't been received by IRS or state yet.
    It's not clear what you did to your return to add 2011 items. You can't put income or deductions that occurred in 2011 on a 2012 tax return. If that is what you did, you must amend your 2012 return again to remove them.

    Your amended return will not be processed in time to change your April 15 debit. If you are going to amend your return again to remove 2011 items that should not have been entered on your 2012 return, you will probably want to leave the scheduled debit in place. However, if you want to stop it, there is a number you can call at the IRS to do that. You must call at least 2 business days before the scheduled debit. Here is the number: 1-888-353-4537

    I don't have a state contact for you.
    • Thank you for your response.  While I was doing my taxes, it asked me did I have anything from 2011 that I wanted to bring over that was excluded out of my taxes in 2011.  I see what your saying now though.  I will have to amend each tax year and correct or add any thing that I need to, is this correct?  I didn't know that I had to do it that way.  How many years can you go back on your taxes and amend them to add deductions or correct informaton?
    • What TurboTax asks relates to any carryovers of something that couldn't be deducted or claimed on your prior year return such as a capital loss carryover or an energy-saving credit carryover. To enter income or items that could have been entered on a prior year return, you must amend the return for that year. You can amend a return for a refund for up to 3 years from the original filing date. So April 15 of 2013 would be the latest you could amend a 2009 tax return. There is no limit on the time you can go back to correct a return. You just can't get a refund for an amended return after 3 years from the filing deadline.
    • Oh ok, thank you for clearing this up for me.  I had no idea.  This was the first time doing my taxes myself.  Ok I'll just pay the original amount I owe and go through my prior years to see if I need to amend them.  Thank you again.
    • If you included anything on the amended return for 2012 that you just mailed that should not have been included, you must prepare, print, and mail a second amended return to correct the first amended return.
    • Yes, I'm working on it now
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

    Similar questions other people found helpful: