E-file got rejected due to Spouse PIN and ITIN/SSN change

Hi,

I am filing my 2012 tax returns jointly with my wife and my wife was on H4 till last year and had no SSN, but ITIN number. This year she got EAD and SSN. While I was e-filing my 2012 returns, I filled my wife's SSN that she got this year based EAD in place of ITIN that I used in 2011 tax filing.  I generated PIN using the ITIN that was on my spouse 2011 tax filing and used that PIN to authorize my 2012 tax e-filing.

However my e-file got rejected with the following message.

IND-032 - 'Spouse Prior Year PIN' or 'Spouse Electronic Filing PIN' or 'Spouse Prior Year AGI' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Please advise me on how to fix this and re-file my returns.

Thanks
-Naidu

Answer

11 people found this helpful

You cannot use a PIN that was associated with the ITIN.

You will have to file on paper this year.
Also, inform the IRS about the ITIN/SSN switch so they can merge the tax files.

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
SuperUser
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community