E-file got rejected due to Spouse PIN and ITIN/SSN change


I am filing my 2012 tax returns jointly with my wife and my wife was on H4 till last year and had no SSN, but ITIN number. This year she got EAD and SSN. While I was e-filing my 2012 returns, I filled my wife's SSN that she got this year based EAD in place of ITIN that I used in 2011 tax filing.  I generated PIN using the ITIN that was on my spouse 2011 tax filing and used that PIN to authorize my 2012 tax e-filing.

However my e-file got rejected with the following message.

IND-032 - 'Spouse Prior Year PIN' or 'Spouse Electronic Filing PIN' or 'Spouse Prior Year AGI' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Please advise me on how to fix this and re-file my returns.



11 people found this helpful

You cannot use a PIN that was associated with the ITIN.

You will have to file on paper this year.
Also, inform the IRS about the ITIN/SSN switch so they can merge the tax files.

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

     Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community