E-file got rejected due to Spouse PIN and ITIN/SSN change

Hi,

I am filing my 2012 tax returns jointly with my wife and my wife was on H4 till last year and had no SSN, but ITIN number. This year she got EAD and SSN. While I was e-filing my 2012 returns, I filled my wife's SSN that she got this year based EAD in place of ITIN that I used in 2011 tax filing.  I generated PIN using the ITIN that was on my spouse 2011 tax filing and used that PIN to authorize my 2012 tax e-filing.

However my e-file got rejected with the following message.

IND-032 - 'Spouse Prior Year PIN' or 'Spouse Electronic Filing PIN' or 'Spouse Prior Year AGI' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Please advise me on how to fix this and re-file my returns.

Thanks
-Naidu

You cannot use a PIN that was associated with the ITIN.

You will have to file on paper this year.
    Also, inform the IRS about the ITIN/SSN switch so they can merge the tax files.

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
    Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
         Austin, TX 73301-0057

• I have a similar but a little bit different problem. I used TurboTax to e-file our joint return with my SSN and my wife's new SSN that she got last July. During the e-file, I provided our last year's AGI and sign the return with our last year's PINs. It was rejected with the message: IND-032 - 'Spouse Prior Year PIN' or 'Spouse Electronic Filing PIN' or 'Spouse Prior Year AGI' in the Return Header must match the e-File database. So I think the problem with Naidu's rejection is not due to the PIN selection.

In 2012 and previous years, we filed our joint returns with her ITIN. Starting from this year, we file with her SSN. I thought the rejection was due to the change from ITIN to SSN. So I called IRS this morning for help. I was told that my wife's SSN is already on file because Social Security Administration sent the SSN to IRS. I was also told that since my SSN is the primary SSN and my wife's ITIN or SSN is the secondary number associated with our tax return, it does not matter whether or not I consolide her ITIN with her SSN. Maybe he's wrong. Or maybe there is a glitch in IRS' software that rejected our e-file.

According to bin22's answer, we can go to a local IRS office to consolidate my wife's ITIN with her SSN. My question is how long does it take to get it processed so that we can still e-file before the deadline? If it takes too long, we will have to file by paper. Then can we send with our tax return the letter explaining that we have now been assigned a SSN and want our tax records combined, or we have to send those separately?

Thanks a lot.

Jingsong
    • I don't know how long it would take when you go to an IRS office to consolidate the accounts.
      Depending on how far away the next IRS office is, I would probably just file on paper and send the letter to consolidate the accounts.
      Send 2 separate letters.
    • Thank bine22 very much. There are several threads in this forum that their federal joint return were rejected because spouse's ITIN is changing to SSN. So every one of us should file paper version this year, right? IRS should make some change in the system so that it is easier for people to e-file because they know about the new SSN sent by Social Security Administration. Regarding the local IRS office, there is one right in town so I can try to combine in the local office.

Best regards,

Jingsong
    • Aliens are definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to efiling. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Anyway, next year you should be able to efile.
    • Thanks to bine22 and huangj3 for your responses.

In this instance where one mails in the fed return, what do we do with the State return (s) ?

Do we mail to the relevant entities in each state or seek an extension?

Thanks again.
    • You may be able to file electronically instead of file by paper version. Following the suggestion of some threads on this forum, I changed my wife's AGI of last year to 0 and it was accepted by IRS.

For state return, I don't know. We don't have state return.
    • Thanks for getting back , huangj3, much appreciated.

Does this mean there's no need to inform them via mail regarding the merging of SSN/ITIN?

Thanks much.
    • Probably it does not matter according to my phone call to IRS. They said spouse's ITIN/SSN is secondary while yours is primary number that is associated with the IRS account by which they can pull out the information. However, I would still do it by a letter of request for consolidation, but at a later time after I get the refund.
    • Thanks for your response,  huangj3 - very sensible.
    Depending on your tax situation it also may be to your advantage to file amended returns for the past three years. For example: You have filed joint with your spouse using an ITIN since 2009. You could not claim the Earned Income Credit because of the ITIN. Now that she has a social security number you can file amended returns for 2009, 2010, & 2011. You have until April 15th of this year to file an amended return for 2009 after that you can not. That was only an example. You have to look at your tax situation and determine if is to your benefit to file amended returns for those years.
    • You cannot retroactively apply for the eIC if you werent eligible for an SSN in those years
    • Probably I wasn't eligible for EIC in those years and even this year anyway.
    • Just called IRS again about this. People like us who filed joint returns using own's SSN and spouse's ITIN in previous years and are filing joint return using SSNs this year need to file a paper version this year. Next year we should be able to e-file again, using SSNs. The lady who answered my phone said that I don't have to send a letter to explain that we are combining the ITIN with the SSN. But you know sometimes they give you incorrect answers. I'd rather send in a separate explanation with a copy of SSN and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, following the IRS instruction (see bine22's thread above). Thanks, bine22 and akadanak.