Specified private activity bond interest dividends the same as specified private activity bond interest?

Hi,

I am in the AMT interview questions and it is asking me to enter any specified private activity bond interest. Some of my 1099-DIV say "specified private activity bond interest dividend". The "dividend" part of it is confusing to me. Is interest and interest dividend the same thing? Or, should I only look at 1099-INT for this and ignore interest dividend?  We are talking about < $100 in either scenario, if that helps.

Thanks,

Gene
    The term is somehat variable and can be called either interest or dividends depending on the source..
    ...they are asking
    ...for the tax exempt $$ reported on THAT 1099-DIV, did the provider of that -DIV form indicate that there were private activity $$ that wre part of box 10.  Report them for that form..

IF you also have a 1099-INT form that has box 8 tax-exempt $$, there is an equivalent request.  But only related to the $$ reported on THAT 1099-INT form.
    • Hi Steamtrain, thank you.  

TT is asking specifically for the "private bond activity interest expense". It does not seem like the question is asking about tax exempt $.  Might you be thinking of another section of TT?  Sorry, if I was not clear in my question. (or maybe I am overlooking something in the TT question as you picked up on it that they are asking for tax exempt interest?"

so, would private activity interest expense be all #s that are in either one of these 2 boxes?

1099-DIV Box 11 "Specified private activity bond interest dividends"
      1099-INT Box 9 specified private activity bond interest

Thank you

Gene
    • Interest expense???
      Yeah..missed that....and the fact that you were on the AMT form at all!

What the heck is line 8 on the form 6251?
    • Instructions for that (line 8 form 6251)are on page 2 here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i6251.pdf

Sorry, but i'm clueless on many of those AMT items, but the 6251 instructions should help immensly.

.TTX looks like it doesn't help much at all..does it?