How do I take the daily IRS meal allowance for when on business trips?

Instead of keeping track of each meal, how do we opt for the daily IRS meal allowance when on overnight stays?  I heard it is around 30 or 40 a day.  Where can we put this in?
    Generally, you can use the “standard meal allowance” method as an alternative to the actual cost method. It allows you to use a set amount for your daily meals and incidental expenses (M&IE), instead of keeping records of your actual costs. The set amount varies depending on where and when you travel. In this publication, “standard meal allowance” refers to the federal rate for M&IE, discussed later under Amount of standard meal allowance . If you use the standard meal allowance, you still must keep records to prove the time, place, and business purpose of your travel. See the recordkeeping rules for travel in chapter 5 .

    Amount of standard meal allowance.
       The standard meal allowance is the federal M&IE rate. For travel in 2012, the rate for most small localities in the United States is $46 a day.

       Most major cities and many other localities in the United States are designated as high-cost areas, qualifying for higher standard meal allowances.

    You can find this information (organized by state) on the Internet at Enter a zip code or select a city and state for the per diem rates for the current fiscal year. Per diem rates for prior fiscal years are available by using the drop down menu under “Search by State.”

      Per diem rates are listed by the Federal government's fiscal year which runs from October 1 to September 30. You can choose to use the rates from the 2012 fiscal year per diem tables or the rates from the 2013 fiscal year tables, but you must consistently use the same tables for all travel you are reporting on your income tax return for the year.

      If you travel to more than one location in one day, use the rate in effect for the area where you stop for sleep or rest. If you work in the transportation industry, however, see Special rate for transportation workers , later.

    • Thank you so much for answering.  So do I report this in the same spot as where I would report specific costs of meals, and just make note that I am using the "standard meal allowance"?
    • I can't be sure since I don't use that particular deduction, however I would think that's what you do, and just be sure to have the required records of your travel should the IRS request verification.
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.