Only Administrator can run Cal State tax

I could finish the Federal tax with no problem with the Macintosh version. The California State tax forms were downloaded with absolutely no problem. California State also shows up correctly in the state tax section. But when I reach the state tax preparation, the "prepare" button does nothing. Clicking on it gives absolutely no response.  No error message, just nothing happen.  When I ignore the missing state tax preparation and continued further. I got a pop up window that says "Type the name and password of a user in the "Developer Tools" group to allow atos to make changes." Since I don't have the Admin password on the machine, I had to click on "Cancel" TurboTax just quit.

So there seem to be 2 independent problems when Turbo Tax is run in a non-administrative account. 1. State tax does not prepare anything. 2. review won't continue without an Admin password.

I asked the administrator to try the same thing. He has no problem getting the state forms prepared and no problem going beyond the review step either.

Please suggest a fix so I can prepare my state return and review my Federal tax without Administrator access.
    Get admin rights. Sounds like you have something nonstandard going on.
    • Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer. However, I don't understand your comment about something non-standard going on. Can you be more specific on what TurboTax expects as standards?

We have a MacBook for family use. As in most family situations, the machine is set up with one Admin account plus one account for each member of the family. As on most multi-user machines, all software is installed by the Admin account. But all software is run from individual user account afterwards because each user still needs his/her own data privacy and write permission to individual home folders. Admin rights are not necessarily shared with all users in order to maintain a single control on the stable configuration of the computer. Besides it is a good practice not to run in admin mode on a daily basis in order to prevent accidental and unintentional changes to the machine. I would assume that what I described above is a very standard setup for any Macintosh or PC. It would be unreasonable for the software to require admin rights other than during software installation.  I'd suggest Intuit's QA team need to test TurboTax by running in non-administrator account, because that is a more standard configuration in my opinion.

The State Tax "prepare" button does nothing when clicked on is a bug all by itself.  It should at least post an error stating the software requires an admin account to run. Failing silently with no error message only confuses the users.  I don't believe regular users would be able to figure out what is going on when there is no error message.

The dialog that asks for user name and password in the "Developer Tools" group is scary to laymen. Why would anyone type in their admin name and password to allow "atos" to make changes when they don't even know what "atos" is?  One cannot even tell if this "atos" is part of the TurboTax software or a virus on the computer. Why would a TurboTax user needs to log in as a software developer to file the Tax return when the machine is not set up for software development?  The dialog comes up when TurboTax switches from "Review" to "Filing" stage.  It is possible that this problem is caused by the fact that State Tax preparation failed silently earlier. I suspect some developer at Intuit has left some untested and unfinished code in the software that is not meant for any regular user to reach.

I guess it is too late to wait for a patch release for this year. However, I hope Intuit would address this issue for next year.

Thanks for your attention.