TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Should a teacher who receives a 1099-MISC have to file Schedule C?

My wife is a full time school teacher and as such gets a W-2 every year. Last year the school's budget allowed for several teachers to get money from a technology account to buy a new computer for their personal use. They gave her $1000 and she bought a new computer. At year end, they sent her a 1099-MISC with $1000 showing in Box 3 as Other Income. My question is, where do we report this, on line 21, form 1040? Or does she need to file Sch C and Sch SE? As she is not running a trade or business as an independent contractor, I shouldn't think she would have to. Where and how do we report this?
  • Other income in Box 3 should get reported on Line 21, Other Income.  No need to file a schedule C.
  • Thanks for your quick reply.  I would think this would be correct as well, however, in searching on the web, I have only been able to find people making it sound like the receipt of a 1099-MISC automatically requires us to file a Schedule C and then Schedule SE.  Would you be able to point me to the exact spot where the IRS addresses this very question so I can feel comfortable about this choice?
  • I went back through Turbotax, knowing that my wife, as a teacher is NOT an independent contractor and looked for the correct reason TT asks as to why she was paid this technology amount to buy a computer for her use.  It was a choice between general extra income from her school but provided  her school was NOT her employer (which is not true), or that the money was prize money.  How do I characterize it?
  • Good question.  I think I would characterize it under "prize money" - because the school awarded her the money to buy a computer FOR PERSONAL USE.  It was not a business-related item.  (In fact, one could almost argue that it was a gift, and shouldn't be taxable at all to the teacher - and that the 1099 should never have been issued.)
  • Box 3 is generally used for prizes and awards and goes on Line 21.  Box 7 is self employment income and goes to Schedule C.  Box 1 is rents and goes to Schedule E.
Contribute an answer

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Similar questions other people found helpful: