Resident alien (H1-B visa) and non-resident alien spouse (F-1 OPT), Married Filing Jointly

I am a resident alien (H1-B visa) and my spouse is a non-resident alien (F-1 OPT), and we would like to file our taxes as Married Filing Jointly. The irs website* says that in order to do so we would have to attach a statement asking to treat my spouse as a resident alien, and it also explicitly mentions that my spouse "may still be treated as a nonresident alien for the purpose of withholding Social Security and Medicare tax". However, I have seen this question get asked several times on this site, and people have answered saying that the spouse may become liable for social security and medicare taxes. Can someone who has been in this situation please comment. 

Also, I understand that I can't e-file my taxes if I want to file this way. Can I print out the forms that Turbo Tax generates and file those by mail? Do any of the calculations that Turbo Tax generates change if I want a non-resident alien spouse to be treated as a resident? Is there anything else I need to be aware of while doing this?