What are Lump-Sum social security payments?

I retired in 2011 and received some "adjustments" from Social Security in 2012 which were actually adjustments made for when I retired in 2011.  When TurboTax asked if I received any "Lump-Sum" payments in 2012 for previous years, I answered yes.  TTax wanted to know how much I was paid in 2012 for tax year 2011.  I called Social Security to get that answer but they told me to talk to my accountant (TurboTax in my case) about taxes.  I can calculate my adjustments from the checks I received but I don't know if this is what TurboTax is looking for.  The "adjustments" I received in 2012 for 2011 are included in my SSA-1099 box 5 for 2012.  It doesn't change my taxes regardless of what figure I put for Lump-Sum for previous year but since the IRS and Social Security are both Federal entities, I don't want to put the wrong figures in there.
So, what Lump-Sum payments are they looking for????
    In the "Description of amount in Box 3" on your SSA-1099, if it says something like "*Includes: ($x.xx) paid in 2012 for other tax years" , that's the lump sum amount to enter in TurboTax.
    • I thought lump sum is another way of saying paid in full.  I received a lump sum of a couple of hundred dollars, but I get monthly payments from SSA.  How do I proceed? Do I say yes to the lump sum or no?
    • A lump-sum payment from the Social Security Administration generally means that you received a payment in one year for benefits that you were eligible for in a prior year. It does not mean "paid in full". If you received a lump-sum payment, your social security benefits document (SSA-1099) will have an entry in the "Description of amount in Box 3" that says something like "Includes: ($x.xx) paid in 2012 for 2011". If your SSA-1099 has this information, answer Yes to the lump-sum question.
    • When I answer yes I get an error
    • What does the error message say?