what is meant by letter 5071C? I got this letter from IRS

It means the IRS thinks you are filing a fraudulent tax return. They will not process your tax return until you prove otherwise. Before you call the phone number on the letter, have you 2012 tax return, and the previous 3 years returns in front of you. You will be asked questions pertaining to those returns that only the "real" tax filer would be able to answer correctly. Once they confirm you are the 'real' tax filer, your 2012 tax return will be processed. Until then, nothing happens and you will not get your refund.
    • Hi Carl, thanks for your help. I have been staying here from the last one year only so I filed returns for only year-2012.
      This is the first time I am filing returns, not sure of the problem all my friends got return though they also filed for first time.
    • You won't know anything until you stop reading this message board, and actually call the phone number. <GG>
    • If you received a letter 5071c, there is a website address: idverify.irs.gov     it will give you prompts to questions relating to your personal information that you need to have and know.  Otherwise, they think it is a fraud claim.
    • Fraudulent tax return isn't probably the best term to use. According to the IRS, the letter is used to verify a person's identity before completely processing the person's return...not because they are filing a fraudulent return.
    • So basically we that got 5071 or the 8883 or what ever the other letter is that you have to call in at the end of refund processing cycle is that why some ppl r getting ddd in like 3-7 days been waiting since feb
    • Well said @ pxion129..
    • The letter is not saying anything about a fraudulent return. The letter is usually generated for one or more of several reasons. Some (but not all) of those reasons are:
      1) A return has already been received via mail, after your successful e-file, and they are questioning which one is valid with the possibility that you "may" have mailed, after you e-filed.
      2) Items carried forward on your 2013 return, don't mesh up with the previous year return that you are carrying items forward "from".
      3) Addresses don't seem to jive. For example, the address on a W-2 they received from your employer, does not match the address you reported on your copy of the W-2 filed electronically with your tax return.
      Those are just three that I can think of off the top of my head.
    • It was my address.
    i am not trying to file a fraudelant tax return if you think i do not qualify let me.
    • dpineda.   you will not be able to get any help on your problem on this forum.It is just an open internet chat forum for all practical purpose.  If you got a letter from the IRS  call the number that is on the letter and solve your issues with them.

I found it very helpful, thank you for help me understand on how to figure out how to do my taxes with the turbo tax