non resident of Virginia to pay income taxes on rental property there?

have a condo I own and rent in Virginia, but live in Florida... and turbo tax indicating i must file Virginia state income taxes.. why am I now paying Virginia state tax and I don't live there?  is this new law that requires Virginia to tax me because I own a property there and charge rent????? Never before required to do this....
  • I, too have a rental property in Virginia. ( Live  & work in SC).  However, I did not rent it for the full year & the income was below the "filing threshold".  Does that mean I do nothing this year with Va taxes?  I did pay for property management.
From the 2012 Virginia tax code:

Nonresidents of Virginia with Virginia Adjusted Gross Income at or above the filing threshold must file if any of their income
is from Virginia sources.  Income from Virginia sources is income received from labor performed, business done, or property located in Virginia, including gains from sales, exchanges or other dispositions of real estate and intangible personal property having a situs
 in Virginia.

The "filing threshold" is $11,950, $23,900 if married filing jointly.
  • Interesting..thanks for that information.. can you clarify the "threshold"?  Is that based on the rental property income only or based on my total income which I earn from Florida?  if only rental income in VA, I am below the $23,900 (filing joint) and still paying taxes..hmmm....
  • "Threshold" means the "Virginia adjusted gross income"  amount below which you're not required to file a Virginia return.
  • If rental income was $12,661 for a single non VA resident with rental property yet I had to pay $7,500 for roof repairs out of that rental income- is there a way to deduct that? or am I now just stuck paying VA taxes that I have never had to pay before?
  • Go to the "Rentals and Royalties" section of TurboTax (under Wages and Income) to enter your rental income - and expenses.  TurboTax will calculate what's taxable.