How to enter a 1099-G to my tax return?

I am entering my W-2's and I need to enter my 1099-G.  How do I enter the 1099-G?
  • What is it for?  Unemployment?  State tax refund?
  • It depends on what the 1099-G was for, there are several 1099-G forms all entered in different areas within TurboTax.
  • certain government payments 2012
  • Unemployment comp?  State tax refund?
What box is the amount in?  I'll answer for the 2 most common ones.

1099G BOX 1  
 Enter a 1099G for unemployment under 
 Federal Taxes Tab
Wages & Income
Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
Unemployment - Click the Start or Update Button

1099G BOX 2:
 Enter a 1099G for a State tax refund under 
 Federal Taxes Tab
Wages & Income
Then scroll down to Other Common Income

Then it's the line - STATE AND LOCAL TAX REFUNDS - Click the Start or Update button on the right. 
(You do not want the next line that says Other 1099-G Income. And not the top line that says Visit All).

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

Enter the amount and continue on and after a couple screens, it will ask you a couple questions to determine if it's taxable.  It may or may not be taxable.  It is taxable if you itemized deductions last year.  If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable.