How do you show dependents W2 information

My child is a dependent 20 years old. He has income of $4000 in W2. Federal Taxes deducted.Turbo Tax says child's income not to be added to my income. So does that mean that his W2 is not to be shown anywhere on my return. Or do I have to file seperately 1040 for him. Remember is a dependent on me.
  • If my dependent child earned $6,000 and is a college student do I need to add her income to mines or file hers separately?
  • You do not enter your dependent's income on your tax return. Your dependent must file their own tax return to claim the income.
  • You can claim the dependent child as a dependent in your Tax Return but not add the child's income in your Tax return. You will have to file a seperate return for the child. But don't forget to answer "YES" to the question that  - can you be claimed as a dependent in someone else's return. If you answer "NO" to that question one of the returns will be rejected by the IRS. Could be yours or the dependent child's.
  • my child just turned 25 is still a dependent but has a w2 he made 3900. does he claim this
  • christ0220,
    You child is not your dependent any more. he is too old to be a "Qualifying Child" and made too much money to be a standard dependent. But he did not make enough money  to have to file a tax return. A non-dependent  has to file if he makes more than $9750.

    A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:
    1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
    2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support
    3. He lived with the parent (or was away at school) for more than half the year

    A person can still be an other dependent (Qualifying relative in IRS parlance, even though they do not have to actually be related), if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:
    1. Closely Related OR live with you ALL year
    2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $3,800 (2012)
    3. You must have provided more than 1/2 his support

    In either case:
    4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
    5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse
    6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer
  • You are not allowed to add you dependents W-2 income to your return. If he had enough income (usually > $5950 see below for exceptions) he has to file his own return. Otherwise it does not get reported any where

You do not report his/her income on your return. If it has to be reported at all, it goes  on his own return. If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2012 if he had any of the following:

  1. Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $5,950.
  2. Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $950.
  3. Unearned income over $300 and gross income of more than $950
  4. Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $1800 ($5950 if under age 18)
  5.  Other self employment income  over $400

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

If his only income is from interest and dividends, there is a provision for entering it on your return, using form 8814. Enter at Less common income / Child's income. But, once he was W-2 income, you can no longer put any of his income on your return.

Furthermore, there is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim his own exemption. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $5950), he can & should still file taxes; he just doesn’t get his own $3800 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  

    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.