I sold stock last year and am letting turbo tax figure out my cost basis. How do I account for stock splits and dividend reinvestments?

I have entered the stock I have purchased and pressed continue but got an error because the number of shares I purchased was not enough to cover the number I sold.  I don't know how to enter the additional stocks from stock splits and dividend reinvestments.
    I'm not following exactly what you are doing.  I tried having TT figure out the basis for the sale of 50 shares of Comcast, a stock that did a 1.5:1 split in 2007 (I think) and I didn't "tell" TT how many shares I bought, I simply told TT the date I bought them (11/18/2002) and whether I reinvested dividends or not.  TT deduced the number of shares I had originally purchased based on this.  I didn't tell TT how many shares I purchased in the first place, so there was no "shortage" in the amount of shares originally purchased.  The attachments show the flow for this.

What are you doing differently?

Tom Young
    • The shares I bought where through a company stock purchase plan so there were multiple purchases.  So, where you selected single lot, I selected multiple lots.  With the multiple lots, if you leave the # of shares purchased as zero, TT comes back with error message: "Invalid argument: Request.Purchases[0].Shares must be greater than 0.  Error #: 1,602".  When I specify the number of shares purchased, TT comes back with error message: "Sell FIFO 175 shares ANLY on 09/18/2012 cannot be recorded because only 166.9 shares are available on 09/18/2012.  Error #: 1,221"  During the time I held onto the stock, there were a number of dividend reinvestments, stock splits and even a reversal split.  I sold all the shares that I had left so I don't know if I need to be accounting for some activity in TT besides the purchases but don't know where or what I would need to be entering.
    • You should be using the ESPP Investment Type for this sale, and TT doesn't offer any basis calculation in this area.  I guess if I was in your shoes I'd try and boost a purchase or two up a share or two until I got enough shares to sell, then take the detail provided by TT for the sale and try and enter the detail (plus the other information TT needs for an ESPP sale) over in the ESPP Investment Type interview.  These sales are particularly difficult to deal with when you don't have good records.  Even TT's calculations are, at best, estimates.

Tom Young