I gave the wrong account number for my refund deposit. What should I do?

I tried calling irs but all i got were machines and no representatives
  • how to fix my account number to ger my money back and how long will it take to get it?
  • what happends it i filed it on feb. 6 when will i get the check?
  • My account number is missing a digit? Can I fix it?
  • No. They will just mail you a check. I got mine one week after they said it was sent to my account so just give it time.
  • Even if it is a federal check account number error?
I goofed and typed in the wrong bank account also. Call the IRS at 1800-829-1040. Press 1 for English then press 2 for personal tax. Now you should press 0 about 3 times. This will transfer you to a real person. I was told that my refund was returned to the IRS and that a check will be mailed to my address.
  • Thank you. A day after I posted this I did receive a check in the mail. Thank you for taking the time to assist me though.
  • thanks for the number
  • how long it take to receive a check in the mail if u enter a wrong bank account number?
  • It took about 3 weeks for a check to come once the deposit was rejected. Maybe a little more.
Once you've filed your return, there's nothing you can do.  It's just like putting it in the mail.

If you e-filed and your return is rejected, you can make changes. 
If you f-filed and your return is accepted the IRS will attempt to deposit the funds into the wrong account, and the funds will be returned to the IRS.  The IRS will mail you a check.  Expect this to take a few weeks.
  • Thank you!
  • I did the same thing, and I used turbo tax suggestion and went to santa baraba tax group and was able to change it however its only good for federal, if you file state they will send you a check regardless. if you dont catch it in time they will send you a check in the mail
  • Am I able to go through santa baraba tax group? Did you call or what?
  • Tip: If you used Refund Processing Services and your return was accepted, you might still have time to correct your bank account information. Sign in to the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group website, and then click Online Account Change Request on the left.
    I copied this from the turbo tax question and this is what I did....
  • Is that only for residence in California?
ive been told there is no fixing this and i have to wait on a check
    The IRS say that turbo Tax has the money it did not go to my account 
      i typed in wrong account number , what do ido
      • I did to and just realized it when it was not in the bank!  Hoping to find answers as well
      • I found out that i types the wrong accoint number the same way. They ended up sending me a check in the mail that I received a week after the money was sent to the wrong account. So just give it time. As long as your address is correct, it will come
      • *account
      • *typed
      well correction...it came in the mail today
      and was suppose to be deposited today