1099B Cost basis for RSUs?

My 1099B reflects the sale of RSUs I received from my employer.  Taxes were witheld when the shares originally vested.  If the original number of shares was 100, and I received 50 after the initial taxes were witheld, is my cost basis 100*stock value at vest?  This makes my cost basis higher than the gross proceeds reported on the 1099B.  Turbotax thinks I took a loss?

Answer

11 people found this helpful

Your basis in the entire lot (100 shares) is the same as the compensation reported on the W-2 at vesting.  The compensation is calculated at 100 x per share FMV.

So a "same day" sale - which is a capital gain or loss event - should result in a small loss due to commissions and fees.

Rather than use the RSU Investment Type use the regular "Stock" investment type.  Tell TurboTax you purchased the stock on the day it vested using the appropriate per share basis.  Much, Much easier.

Tom Young
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser
5 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community