TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

I have Form RRB-1099 and Form RRB-1099-R. Where to I enter the info for RRB-1099-R?

I found the answer.  RRB-1099-R is there it is just hidden. Previous instructions I read were not complete enough to find it.  To get to RRB-1099-R follow these steps:
1.  Go to Federal Taxes.
2. Choose Wages & Income.
3. Hit "Explore on My Own".
4. Scroll down to "Retirement Plans & Social Security"
5. Select "IRA, 401K, Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099R)
6. Hit Update or Start 
7. At the bottom of this page there is a box "Add another 1099R".  Check it.
8. On the next page, select "I'll type it myself" and hit continue.
9. The screen you are looking for finally appears.  "What type of 1099R is this?"  A list of 4 different 1099's appear. The last one on the list is the RRB-1099-R.  Select it and you're on your way.  Follow the prompts.  
10.  Relax, try to replant the hair you have pulled out of your head.  Have a good day!
  • finally!
  • This answer was excellent.  I went right to the RRB-1099-R form and just continued to follow the prompts.  Thank you.

The form provided for RRB-1099-R under the Retirement Plans provides a set of questions as if the information is for an annuity.  The back of the RRB-1099-R states "Any amounts shown on your Form RRB-1099-R are considered a "normal distribution".  Use distribution code "7" if you are asked for a distribution code for those amounts.  Railroad retirement payments shown on Form RRB-1099-R are treated as private pensions for U.S. Federal income tax purposes."  Turbo Tax does not provide a way to select a distribution code.  In order to get Turbo Tax to calculate this correctly, I had to enter a supplemental 1099 form.  Without the distribution code, Turbo Tax reduces the amount based on a number of annuity payments.  

Secondly, Turbo Tax does not prompt the user to look for a 2nd 1099 form for Railroad Retirement.  As I just finished repaying the IRS $2700 for this mistake in 2013 and will probably have to again for the more recent 2014, I am very interested in this being fixed.  I have used Turbo Tax for at least 10 years, and use the step by step to insure nothing is overlooked.  Now that most of my income is SS and RRB ,  I would like to know I can count on the calculations and steps being correct.  

• The RRB-1099-R is entered as received.  The program specifically asks if this was for "a beneficiary of a railroad employee who passed away", for "a spousal annuitant beneficiary" or for a "railroad employee".  There is not an option stated on the Form RRB-1099-R for a distribution code.
    Another Form 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R or RRB-1099-R can be selected using the "Add Another 1099-R" link on the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen.
    See this IRS Publication 575 Pension and Annuity Income, pages 6 -9 for the RRB-1099-R - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p575.pdf
    See this RRB.gov website for further information - http://www.rrb.gov/forms/pands/tax/tl1099r.asp
  • I appreciate the information however none of these options allow a distribution code unless you answer that it is a 401K or IRA or add a supplimental 1099R form in lieu of the one provided by the RRB.  Turbo Tax is not addressing this issue.   It has cost me dearly in money and time.
  • There is not a distribution code on a TurboTax Form RRB-1099-R because the government form used by the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) does not require a distribution code.  TurboTax only uses the government approved RRB-1099-R format.  Each section of the form is entered into the TurboTax program as received.  Explanations of each section is shown on this RRB.gov website - http://www.rrb.gov/forms/PandS/tax/txl1099r.asp#1099r

Since TurboTax does not use distribution codes on a RRB-1099-R (because the government form does require distribution codes on this form) any amounts shown on your form RRB-1099-R are considered a "normal distribution".

Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to report when entering the RRB-1099-R that you received from the United States Railroad Retirement Board?

Similar questions other people found helpful: