TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Did the Child Tax Credit qualifications change for 2012/2013 ?

I qualified for the child tax credit last year & this year I didn't. The only thing that changed was I didn't work at all, but in 2011,  I only worked 2 months & made less then $1200., I have 2 children under age 11 ,  12 months a year. I qualified for a Federal & State tax return for over $3400+ and this year I don't get a Federal or state return.
So why I don't I qualify for child tax credit this year?  I had to use my student loans for income. ( My student loans & Pall Grants were the same as last year).
    I don't know your situation so I can only guess, but it's probably because you had no tax due and didn't qualify for any refundable credit:

From About.com (http://taxes.about.com/od/deductionscredits/qt/childtaxcredit.htm)
    For taxpayers with one or two children, the refundable portion of the child tax credit is the smaller of the unused portion of the child tax credit or fifteen percent of the person's earned income over $3,000.

Hope that helped.
      The Child Tax Credit cannot be used to reduce your tax liabliity below zero.  And since you had no earned income in 2012, the Additional Child Tax Credit does not apply to you either.

Similar questions other people found helpful: