request 5 digit filing pin

#1 - If I try to get a 5 digit filing pin (from IRS) for 2012 - will I be told if I already received a 5 digit filing pin for 2012?

I forgot wheher I previously received a 5 digit pin for 2012.

#2- Does the 5 digit E- filing pin appear anywhere on the printed 1040? Is there any place on my TT that I can see if I entered the 5 digit E-filing number?

Can anyone PLEASE supply an answer??

Hi Bobby2,

To e-file your taxes, the IRS needs to verify your identity (and your spouse’s, if you're filing jointly) with a 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN.

Simply click here (or call 1-866-704-7388) to get your official PIN from the IRS's Electronic Filing Service.

The IRS will request a few pieces of information from last year's tax return for verification purposes. Once you've provided that, you'll get your 5-digit PIN so you can e-file your 2013 return. (You'll also need to request a separate PIN for your spouse if you're filing a joint return.)

Your assigned PIN can only be used to e-file your 2013 return, so there's no need to memorize it or write it down for next year.

What about the 6-digit IP PIN - is that the same thing?

No. The 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (or IP PIN) is only issued in cases of identity theft and is not related to the 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN.

Read more about the 6-digit IP PIN.

What if I can't get a PIN through the IRS's Electronic Filing Service?

If you didn't file a 2012 return, you won't be able to get an Electronic Filing PIN, nor will you need one.

As you step through the e-filing screens, make sure you select the option that indicates you didn't file a 2012 return.

A less common reason you can't get a PIN is that your 2012 return was processed by the IRS after November 23, 2013. In that case, use the alternate AGI verification method.

What if the PIN I used last year doesn't work?

Last year's PIN most likely won't work with this year's return.

You'll need to get a new PIN from the IRS's Electronic Filing Service. Simply click here (or call 1-866-704-7388) to get your PIN.

What if my IRS-issued PIN keeps getting rejected?

If your return gets rejected for an incorrect PIN, here's a few suggestions:

• First, verify your PIN by requesting it again. Maybe you entered it wrong or wrote it down incorrectly?
    • If you're positive that your PIN is correct, use the alternate AGI verification method.
    • Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to talk to an agent. They can verify the 2012 filing information you need to get a valid PIN.
    • Instead of e-filing, consider filing your return by mail.
    Related Information:

The only PIN that will work this year is the Electronic Filing PIN issued by the IRS. If you recycle last year's 5-digit PIN, your return will get rejected.

You can quickly get a new PIN, or more detailed instructions and troubleshooting tips, by following the instructions at this link:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN12249

• After the code is input on the final part of the E-filing process does the code show anywhere on the final printed copy that I see on TT? Or does the code only show on the copy that the IRS receives?