Can't e-file because I received an IP PIN?

I'm trying to file my taxes for 2012 twice, but under both circumstances they have been rejected.

Last year for 2011's taxes I was the victim of identity theft. This December I received the IP PIN that I am required to use when I file either by mail or through e-file.

I was able to find the location where I enter in the IP PIN with out issue, but that isn't my problem. My problem is that the e-file PIN that I'm supposed to be using and my prior year AGI aren't being accepted. I called the IRS for assistance, and the man I spoke with advised me that I don't enter in EITHER of those two options; either the e-file PIN or the previous years AGI. That the IP PIN should be the sole verification process for my taxes, and I shouldn't use any thing else.

Well, I tried that; I left the e-file PIN field blank and I didn't use the AGI option, but it was still rejected.

Am I unable to e-file? Do I actually have to mail in my return? The process generally takes 4-6 weeks, and because of the Identity Protection on my account I was advised that it could take even longer than that.

I'd really like to e-file, but I need clarification whether Turbo Tax, and the e-filing IRS system simply won't allow us to do so because of this IP PIN.
  • Doing some search on Google I ran across this article

https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/File-Electronically--current-year-/Get-Your-Electronic-Filing-PIN-from-the-IRS/GEN12249.html?direct=true

it sounds like the IRS should have had provided me with a new e-filing PIN as well; is this true? Again, as I was advised I shouldn't be entering in an e-file PIN or the prior years AGI, only the 6 digit IP PIN assigned to me by mail through the IRS, which I've already added.
  • *****UPDATE*******
    I just got off the phone with the IRS; the agent I spoke with advised me that the agent I had spoken with yesterday was incorrect, and you WILL need some form of digital signature by the IRS.

he advised me that as of yesterday they were informed that so long as your previous case has been closed, they are allowed to give out the prior year AGI that was filed (the one e-file is looking for).

I was given the prior AGI, and have re-filed with turbo tax. Nothing yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, will update once more if it's declined or accepted
  • *****UPDATE*****

It has been accepted - so for any one having a similar issue call the IRS with the number and extension provided on your IP PIN sheet, and speak with the representative. They should be able to provide you with the prior year AGI and get it all straighten away.
  • Yay!!!
  • I tried that n I'm still having problem. Do I call the IRS again
  • Thank you so much for posting this rakashu! I've been battling for the past 2 weeks trying to efile my return and this finally worked for me. Thanks alot.
  • I just tried this and it seems since our identity theft case hasn't been closed yet, the irs representatives are unable to even access our information.
  • You are a life saver!! This got my taxes filed, even if the hold for the new AGI number was really long!
  • I will try this out. Hopefully it works.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WHEN YOU FILE YOUR ONLINE RETURN (ATLEAST IN H&R BLOCK) UNDER FEDERAL WRAP UP: YOU WILL GET TO A SCREEN THAT SAYS "CHECK ANY THAT APPLY" THE LAST OPTION IS "Received a letter from the Office of Identity Protection with an identity protection PIN (uncommon)" ONCE YOU SELECT THAT YOU WILL BE PROMPTED TO ENTER YOUR IP PIN. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND TO READ ALL THE INFORMATION PRIOR TO SUBMITTED YOUR RETURN TO ENSURE YOU DONT MAKE ANY ERRORS. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON SINCE PEOPLE DO NOT READ. THANK YOU! :)
  • I'm having the same problem. Two years of craziness with TurboTax. This is probably my last year with them.
  • I have no idea why the IRS issues an ip pin, because no matter what you have to file a paper return. Then, it gets thrown on a desk for months, until the they review the return, don't expect your return for 6 months. The only way to get around it is through the tax advocate. If you are having a crises such as shut off notices, eviction, foreclosure, and etc., you can file for a hardship and mail or fax your return to the advocate, and they will review it and get your return to you within a month. Unfortunately, you will have to go through this procedure for three years after your identity has been stolen. I hope this helps, Good Luck!! Hollie (Accounting Major)