what is the daily per diem rate for truck drivers

• where do you enter per diem rate for truck drivers
  • For an employee, that would be an employee business expense.  However, there may be little or no tax benefit to claiming the deduction as employee business expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction, which is an itemized deduction.  Consequently, it must be to your advantage to itemize to claim them.  Even then, the deduction may be limited.  Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available if you qualify to itemize and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  

They are found under the deductions and credits tab for employment expenses.
  • .25 @ 20,200
  • Where do I claim the peir diem,cell phone, laundry, etc for over the road truck drivers?
  • Where does the amount of days worked x's  $59 per day deduction get  entered?
  • Where does the amount for days worked @ $59 per day deduction get entered?
  • I understand that the $59 per day deduction is for DOT truck drivers. Where do I enter this on the tax form to get the 80% claimable about?
  • It is my understanding there is no reduction, I beleive it is 100% of the math. I do not know where to enter the days on road in United States that is then mutiplied by the rate  per diem for DOT truck drivers, and where do I enter the days on road in Canada, that is then mutilplied by that rate per diem for DOT truck drivers?
The amount is $59/day overnight ($65 in Alaska or Hawaii) for DOT drivers.  Eighty percent is deductible, compared to 50% for non-DOT travel.

(The perdiem is intended to cover meals plus incidental expenses such asfFees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses and others on ships.)

• WHERE DO YOU ENTER THIS EXPENSE FOR PERDIEM
  • Start with Form 2106. That will automaticly place the amounts in schudule A.  FYI ,you may be able to deduct your Form 2106 amounts off of your local income and reduce your local income tax. Works in my town.
  • How do you deduct it from your local income and reduce your local income tax
  • How come no one can ever answer anything!?!?!? Can we get some answers and explanations!
  • @cindyball I am confused can you explain your answer more in detail
  • what do you mean that the 80% will show on the print out..
Lets say the appropriate days are 10, that quailfy in USA, so 10. times $59.00 equals 590.00, that is the figure you should enter.  Then the program will caculate it from there.  The wrong way...My first time around I did 59.00 x 10, x 80% and entered that figure, so I entered 472.00 then the program/software, did 80% again, 377.60.  I would of not of gotten the full benefit.  I used 10 days just to make it easy math, reality was, my husband was on the road about 150 days last year, Thank goodness, I have my daughter and her family, and my son and his family living with us right now, or I would of been lonely.  The print out, is what printed out when I was doing a review of the forms that would be going to the IRS. As I did not know how to print just that portion of the return.  I hope this helps.  Or are you asking, about the deduction, and what qualifies?
  • what form was the deduction taken on? Schedule A or 2106 Business Exp?
  • Form 2106.
I think I found it.  On the part that says meals & entertainment, you add up the appropriate days, and multiply it out at 59.00USA, and 65.00 for Canada days, enter that total into the box, and the print out will show the 80% amount.  I was so fustrated, I thought, try it and see what happens.  Whatever the DOT check box does I am still clueless.  I used H & R software last year, and that portion was easier to understand. Years prior I went to a brick and mortar place,  My complaint, is it is almost the 15th, and with the updates, you would of thought they would of did a better job at this date.  Or answered some of the blogs.