This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

my refund was accepted and now is being reviewed by the irs. does this mean im being audited?

• I recived a notice for more info two months ago and faxed it back there saying on that notice six to eight weeks
  • I had to go to my tax prepare to get them to fix lines on my return they said on the phone i should expect a return 6to 8weeks
No, it only means that your refund is being looked over to see i everything is accurate for you to be able to receive your refund
  • how long does a review take?
  • Up to 60 days
  • is 60 days the minimum? or maximum?
  • I was told by the irs rep that i should expected to wait a additional week from the original date they said i would receive it.
  • I was told an additional week as well by phone today.
  • Trbotax says 21 days.  They are jags
It means that you should wait for the notice to arrive in the mail, read the notice, and see if you understand it. If you do not understand, ask for an explanation, or take it to the place that did your taxes and ask them to explain.It also means that, after the notice has been explained, you should send whatever requests. You wil then, and only then, receive your refund
  • does everyone get served a notice?
  • no not everyone does
  • should i worry?! im stressing. i camt afford to randomly be audited.
  • i guess it depends; please visit the irs web page for more info in detail; http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Understanding-Your-IRS-Notice-or-Letter
  • dont worry, and dont be stressed out, the IRS is swamped with return request and they are slowly getting through it, take me for example, I was accepted on the 25th as part of a test group to test out the new system and im still in the processing fase
  • @Psueacpa that helps me none because idk how to identify my notice i got thru "wheres my refund"
  • @yas59 how backed up are they?
  • very, they are still fixing bugs in the programing, especially for the tax refund request with educational credits on them, they don't estimate being able to process them till abound if not after the 14th
  • from personal experience am i in the clear? how do i chat with tax professionals on here?
  • The IRS will mail you a notice via the US Postal Service - it will take a couple of weeks for you to receive it.
  • One other thing sheilapesa - was there any kind of an numeric code at WMR? If not then until you get the notice in the mail from the IRS you won't know what it is they are looking at so no one here or at Turbotax can provide specific information.
  • okay but my thing is will i recieve something in the mail for sure?
  • i guess If you are very concerned about it you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and see what the issue is.
  • how do i find the numeric code at WMR? and when i find it how do i look it up?
  • If the IRS determines that they need additional information you will definitely get a letter in the mail. If the IRS determines that there was some sort of error on your return and changes your refund in any way you will also definitely get a letter also. In either case it will take a couple of weeks.
  • PSUEACPA is right. If you want more information now then call the IRS.
  • it says it is being reviewed. and i will recieve something within 30 days for additional information. but i was also reading and some people got accepted thru the irs with this notice and got the dd. that was from my understanding
  • are they open now?
  • Of course - the IRS said is is reviewing the return - that means it could determine that everything is correct and issue a refund. If could mean that they will ask for more information. It could mean that they will find an error and change your refund. Regardless, you will have to wait to see what happens.
  • agreed definitely~~
  • okay. so ill have to keep checking back and see what happens? should i call anyways and see? or wait?
  • sorry this is my second year filing. i never had to go thru this. so i have no idea whats going on.
  • it is up to you~~
  • it says not to contact them til i get a notice. so im thinking maybe they wont give me information anyways. im sorry for all the questions. as i said im newer here.
  • There is something about your return that caused the computers to kick it out for a review. Until the IRS has done the review they will not have any additional information to give to you. That is whey they instruct you not to contact them until you get the notice. If you do decide to call the IRS, the Customer Service rep will only be able to tell you that your return is being reviewed - and you know that already.
  • no. then needelss to say you need to follow the ins given . do not contact them as told, you should wait for the notice to arrive in the mail. good luck~~
  • PSUEACPA is right. Whatever is going to happen will happen. You need to relax and just wait for additional information.
  • Any one receive refund or dd yet?
  • no not yet, still processing
  • Nope......processing
  • never gotten a msg that i was being under review and today when i called the lady told me i was randonly selected for a review i am super pissed about this!
  • Daniel I got the same news on Friday via letter in the mail. Wmr still says processing.
  • nfallen i havent even received a letter and when i called back the other irs person told me that I wasnt even being reviewed
  • I was told by every rep that I spoke to that I was fine with no errors just processing. And then I got that letter. I think it is their clever way to explain people not having their refund in 21 days by throwing us all under review.
  • well as of this morning with checking the wmr page i received a dd date for the 21st
  • Congratulations that's great!
  • i was told the same thing today as well by a irs rep the lady said that there is not any issues that i have simply been selected randomly to be reviewed and that it is mandatory and said i will not be receiving a letter or have to submit anything just keep checking wmr for a dd date.
  • efmayhem did you get the notice that says "take action now" when you checked wmr?
  • no i did not it only says that my refund is processing and a refund date will post when available. That is it and i filed simple return no education credit just 1 dependent on jan 30th been processing ever since.Only called them one time and that is what the lady told me...She Said every thing looks fine that there was no errors in my return no idea what is going on just have to wait like everyone else i guess.....
  • i filed my tax return 1/31/13 with edu credits, eic, child tax crdts, 1 dependent, accepted on 02/14, recieved a "REVIEW" letter dated 02/21/13, the letter states as follows"we are carefully  reviewing your tax return, it could be one of the following, education credits, child tax credits, and/or dependants. Called the IRS on 02/25/13 to verify the letter. Thenice young man states that you are not being audited, your just being revewed. The only way you are being audited if they ask for additional infrmation in the letter u recieved. It will up to 60days @ the most,but not the complete 60days. Now if you got a letter like me, u will get in the scheduled time frame of 21days.  My refund tracker says March 6.WISH ME LUCK, that i will get it 2morrow, bcuz now i cant get ay info on wmr!!!! was saying received, nw its saying that i have entered the wrong info. UGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!
  • same thing here nking called the irs and luckily got a nice person lol and he told me the same thing and im hoping for march the 6th as well but have not recieved my cp05 that he stated i would be getting soon so we are prolly on about the same time frame lets hope we get it.
  • whats cp05????? i just talked to a fiend & h sid that if u had the 3bars on wmr,earlier & it says they could not find u or the followin infois incorrect their getting ready to deposit u anyday now....i told him mine hasnt even been approved yet, he say his was nevr approved they just deposited,you just neve knowabout the IRS
  • Cp05 letter is a review letter doesnt mean anything bad just a delay on the return....Just checked the WMR and got a DD for March 14th!!!! Finally lol been waiting since january 30th...Best of luck to whoever is still waiting.
  • @efmayhem, i stil havent recieved my refund as of 03/12/13, i was able to order transcripts as of 03/07/13. Spoke to a nice lady @ the IRS this morning she says when you are able to order a transcript it is done prcessing & getting ready to recieve a DDD soon, she states that if i dont get by next friday call back...She can not give me a DDD bcuz it is still on hold but as of 03/11/13 all the 8863 filers have been released & receiving DDD, now. Im so frustrated, because I dont owe anybody or nothing, this is FOOLISHNESS!!!!!!
  • i ordered my transcripts the early part of last month, received them and still no ddd...called in and was told i was under review and to wait on my letter. i got my letter a couple of weeks ago which basically stated i did not have to do anything, i would either receive a ddd or another letter.
Reviewed means that they are processing your tax return. It does not necessarily mean a reject.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/2012-Tax-Season-Refund-Frequently-Asked-Questions