When will the IRS start accepting returns with 1098-T forms?

Turbo tax has said that my return is still pending because they are not accepting certain forms--the only one I have on there is a 1098-T for school, I filed a week ago and my federal return is "in line" but still pending...any ideas of when they will start accepting them and processing them?
  • My daughter filed her taxes a week ago and was able to claim the education credit, but when she calls to see if they have accepted it, they are still saying that it is pending!  After reading all of the prior posts on here, I am still really confused....is the IRS accpeting the tax credit or not and if they are accepting it, does anyone know how long it will take before the status is no longer pending?  ANY information would be appreciated!!  Thanks!
  • @roxie518 As of right now no the return will not be accepted. It will be mid February. For anyone like myself who filed prior to 1/28 they were accepted but will not be processed until mid feb. So mid feb for everything I would say refund around the first week of march.
  • Update. My return was accepted and refund was approved WITH education credits. Direct Deposit date is Feb 12, 2013.
  • Where did you get that info please?
  • I have the education credit as well... still pending... @jboogie when was yours accepted and approved
  • I filed mine Jan 28 and it's still pending (education) its driving me nutts!!
  • Would love to hear from Jboogie766?? On your refund acceptance????
  • Jboogie766..when did you file?
  • Mine also is still pending. Really upset about it need that money badly. I can't find any info anywhere on this.
  • When were you excepted jboogie?
  • I believe as of 2/08/2012 education credits are now being accepted.
  • As of today education credits are accepted by IRS pending means the IRS is receiving it and has not yet accepted it.
  • It was approved on the 6th, got notification today that my refund would be direct deposit on Feb 12, 2013. The where's my refund tool
  • How do you know they are accepting education credits today!!
  • Did you have the american opportunity credit
  • Mine is not pending, waiting to be accepted. It's a done deal. They have processed my refund, now I am waiting on my money. Hope everyone understands the difference. I understand the IRS and TT are telling you one thing, mine is finished.
  • How do you know this?
  • The Where's My Refund Tool. Yes I claimed the American Opportunity Credit
  • That's good for you!! Everyone return is different which makes it harder to know when my return will stop showing "pending".... Does tt send out an email saying your refund has been accepted
  • You can get right on turbo tax or go to irs.com, certain other forms are not being accepted until beginning of March
  • jboogie766 when did you file
  • IRS to Start Processing Delayed Returns on Feb. 14; Most People Unaffected and Can File Now
    IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service plans a Feb. 14 start date for processing tax returns delayed by last month’s tax law changes. The IRS reminded taxpayers affected by the delay they can begin preparing their tax returns immediately because many software providers are ready now to accept these returns.

Beginning Feb. 14, the IRS will start processing both paper and e-filed returns claiming itemized deductions on Schedule A, the higher education tuition and fees deduction on Form 8917 and the educator expenses deduction. Based on filings last year, about nine million tax returns claimed any of these deductions on returns received by the IRS before Feb. 14.

People using e-file for these delayed forms can get a head start because many major software providers have announced they will accept these impacted returns immediately. The software providers will hold onto the returns and then electronically submit them after the IRS systems open on Feb. 14 for the delayed forms.

Taxpayers using commercial software can check with their providers for specific instructions. Those who use a paid tax preparer should check with their preparer, who also may be holding returns until the updates are complete.

Most other returns, including those claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), education tax credits, child tax credit and other popular tax breaks, can be filed as normal, immediately.

The IRS needed the extra time to update its systems to accommodate the tax law changes without disrupting other operations tied to the filing season. The delay followed the Dec. 17 enactment of the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, which extended a number of expiring provisions including the state and local sales tax deduction, higher education tuition and fees deduction and educator expenses deduction
  • Super Bowl Sunday..lol. My brother's is still pending. This tax season is all messed up and IRS isn't being very forthcoming with information
  • This article old!
  • when did u file ur return
  • it should process today mine still pending and i am waiting as well
  • My return was accepted Valentine day just waiting on the money
  • I efiled mine on Feb. 10 and now its the 17th and mine still says pending. If they are accepting form 8863 starting on the 14th of Feb. why haven't I received some type of accepted or denied?
  • Mine is also still waiting in line or pending.  I called twice to turbo tax.  I have education credits also.  What they said is they were sent to IRS and they pick them up in there own time now...this sucks!! I filed the 6th of Feb, acceptance date for education credit was the 14th and I am still waiting for my taxes just to be accepted by the IRS!
  • I filed on the 1st of February and the IRS just accepted it this past Thursday. I had educational credits too
  • Mine still has not been accepted or denied and i have education credits, I call IRS they have no answer, just to wait and TT says its out of there hands...
  • I am in the same boat, but I just found out that I have another form that they are not accepting until March 14. Form 8582 which is connected to the renter we have living in our home. So now I guess I must wait until March 14.
February 14 they will be accepting 1098-T
  • Thank you!!!
  • where did you get an exact date?
  • I heard so many different dates. I wish they would just hurry up. When it comes to my money i'm very impatient, i have bills like the next person.
  • The irs is not processing form 8863 until mid february. This is the form filed if you have a 1098-T.  The irs has Not given the date to us of the 14. If they have directly please give a link otherwise I think people need to stop saying that. There has been some tax companies saying this to customers but that is to help ease the situation. I would assume mid february meaning around the 15th but this is the irs it could be today or march who knows. It is a code they are updating in the system and as soon as they get it right they will get them started.
    IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011

• That article is from 2011. There is an update on the Irs site that education credits will start on the 14th of February.
  • This is the email turbo tax sent me tonight (the above article is old)

Important Update About Your Federal Tax Return
    Good news! The IRS will start to process returns like yours soon.
    We will send your return to the IRS on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013. This is the date they will begin processing returns like yours that contain Education Credits, Form 8863.

Next step:
    We'll send you a message as soon your return(s) are accepted or rejected by the IRS.

Read the IRS statement

We recommend keeping copies of all status emails for your records.

Thanks for using TurboTax!

Note: This email was automatically generated. Please do not respond to this email address; it comes from our automated alert system, which is not monitored for responses.
The Form 1098-T is only used to input information to help determine if you qualify got the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit or the Student Tuition and Fees Deduction.  The TT program will determine which is best for you.  However, only if you use the Form 1098-T to fill in your educational expenses AND you end up utilizing the American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning Credit will your return be held up in processing, as these credits require the filing of the Form 8863. It is the Form 8863 (for the credits) which are holding up the return, not the inclusion of the Form 1098-T information.  If however, after filling in your 1098-T information you take the "Student Tuition and Fees" deduction you WILL NOT generate a form 8863 and your return will be accepted quickly.  I think it is the use of the term  that the 1098-T is holding up the return which is confusing people because it is incorrect.  It is the Form 8863 which "may" be generated once you enter the 1098-T information which is the root of the problem.

So yes some people who input 1098-T information will have no problem if you take the Tuition and Fees deduction, or if you were a lucky few who the IRS took in for testing the system and subsequently found out they could not read the form 8863 correctly.
    I, also, filed a 1098-T for my tuition/fees. I did not qualify for the AOC or Lifetime. I filed on 1-28, not realizing the delay for education credits. My State is set to be DD on 2-10, but my Federal is still "Pending". It has not yet been accepted, either.

Good luck, and the only advice I can give is to just wait it out. The only info I can find on IRS.gov is that these returns will begin to process "middle of February". Many people are assuming February 15th (also a local preparer told me the 15th), but I have not found a specific date via the IRS.
    Education credit will be accepted mid Feb.
    • IRS has already accepted my return WITH the education credit
    • If you filed prior to Jan 28 then it  was accepted but not after they are all being rejected until the problem is fixed.
    • I filed on Feb 3...
    • no one with the 1098T is being accepted....
    • Mine has been accepted as well.....
    • No one with the 1098T is being accepted.
    • @ mikeminer15 did you file before the 28th or after and did u claim the education credits AOC or Lifetime?
    • Mine WAS accepted with the 1098T form. Just trying to be informative
    • I claimed the AOC credit. I know most people haven't been accepted but I have. I can email someone a screenshot.
    • When were u accepted
    • @xatnam766 Mine was accepted to but I filed on 1/22 and was accepted early on 1/26. On 2/28 was when they stopped accepting returns who filed form 8863 but they still are not processing even the ones that were accepted.
    • I was accepted today around 11 30 am. Before that it had been in a pending status
    • xatnam766  you were excepted with a 1098t?
    • I am still pending with the 1098 T form for my daughter.... filed on Jan 29th or 30th...  State was accepted within 48 hours but no date of deposit on either one still...  For those being accepted with 1098 T form...  did they say they are rejecting and we need to do something further?
    • I'm guessing the reason my federal hasn't been processed is because of my 1098-T form? And I filed Jan 31st
    • i filed mine on Jan 23rd and still pending :(

Turbo tax has said that my return is still pending because they are not accepting certain forms--the only one I have on there is a 1098-T for school, I filed a week ago and my federal return is "in line" but still pending...any ideas of when they will start accepting them and processing them======> If your software company cannot provide you with any answers, call the IRS directly at 800-829-1040 for more accuarate  info in detail on your issue

Just read on IRS.GOV that they will start accepting the Educational Credits on the 14th.
    • This is correct I too saw that earlier today!
    I had an education credit on my taxes and used the form 1098-T, so is the IRS not accepting those returns with the education credit til mid February? 
    • no they are not accepting form 8863 which is the education credit?
    • Correct. If you have a form 1098-T and you are claiming one of the two higher education credits. AOC or Lifetime, then you would file form 8863 which will not be processed until mid feb butif you do not claim one of those and just claim tuition and fees then it will go on through.
    • what is mid feb that is all i am hearing can i get a date and how long wll the refund come
    • mine has been accepted but i dont have form 8863 just 1098 no education credits or deductions
    • i was accepted 1/31 @2am
      IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011

Mine was submited on 2/4 and is still pending with educational credits.   What I was told  when I called the IRS was to go ahead and file it to get in in line, and once they start accepting it will be first in first out.
      I just got email from turbotax saying the IRS will start processing returns on Feb. 14, 2013. They said they will be sending all returns with form 8863 to the IRS on 2-14-2013. The post above is old but I just received this email tonight. I am on my phone so cannot copy and paste until I get to my computer. Just wanted to update everyone in case you have not checked your email tonight. Finally a solid date to start processing our returns! Good news!
      • My return was accepted by the IRS on 2/14/13 @ 6:50am, which includes for 8863. Hopefully it wont take too long for my funds to be deposited!
      I filed mine monday and still nothing...I'm getting irritatedI
        Here's some updated info for those of us who filed our taxes using the Education Credits (form 8863 in reference to submitting a 1098T form) Spoke with IRS Wednesday February 20, 2013. Spoke with a wonderful woman named Miss Harris. I unfortunately was among the many people who not only was involved in the delay of education credits, but also I used my Blue-Bird Card for the set up of my direct deposit for refund. UGH! Bluebird! I later found out that Bluebird does not accept any deposits from federal government sources, whether its payroll or tax refunds. So I called Miss Harris and she luckily got mine switched to a check. She told me that they had just started processing my sort of returns with the education credits on Feb 19,2013.
        I filed on January 18 not knowing any of this BS about the delays, and thankfully mine was an early accept on the 25th of Jan. But here it is Feb 22 and my status on WMR website still says processing a date will be listed as soon as it is available.
        This year tax situation is terrible, and I hope that everyone getting refunds gets it soon because we all need it thanks to our current government representatives not being able to fix the mess America is in. And it's too bad we can't cause them this much of a delay when they want to take the taxes out of paychecks each week.
        Good Luck!
          I hope this helps some of you.   IRS to Start Processing Delayed Returns on Feb. 14; Most People Unaffected and Can File Now

IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011

The IRS needed the extra time to update its systems to accommodate the tax law changes without disrupting other operations tied to the filing season. The delay followed the Dec. 17 enactment of the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, which extended a number of expiring provisions including the state and local sales tax deduction, higher education tuition and fees deduction and educator expenses deduction.

Related Items:

• IR-2011-1, IRS Kicks Off 2011 Tax Season with Deadline Extended to April 18; Taxpayers Impacted by Recent Tax Breaks Can File Starting in Mid- to Late February
          • IR-2011-4, IRS e-file Launches Today; Most Taxpayers Can File Immediately
          • Is this an old article it says 2011??
          • Yes it is old, although the IRS will begin processing returns with education credits on 2/14/2013. I do not know why this person keeps posting that article. It is just by chance that (or maybe not) that they will begin processing thoswe returns on the same date this year! I have pasted an email from turbo tax I got tonight somewhere above!