This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

Refund Processing Service Fee** $29.99

Has TurboTax always charged an additional fee for Refund Processing Service Fee**  $29.99 or is this something new for 2012 tax year?  Sound like they are catching up with other tax services
  • Its ridiculous. It never mentioned a refund processing fee, just the one fee. They charged double. What a rip off. I am not using them again. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way.
  • agree
  • I agree. I'm pissed!! I'm trying to contact them but the wait is 51 minutes!!! I want a refund of this fee before my return goes through.
  • I tried calling too.....38 min wait time!!!
  • I was unaware of this ridiculous charge.  Don't we pay them enough to process the return to begin with?  I think this should be refunded to me as well.  I paid for the service as a whole, I don't need an additional fee that was conveniently inserted after the process was completed.  If I'm not refunded for this charge, I will not use Turbo Tax in the future.
  • can u update this after u speak with them please?
    thanks!
  • I will never use tt again. I paid for the premier edition so why am I being charged an extra 30 for the to process. That fee was never mentioned. I will surely be using someone else next year
  • I didn't pay squat.. is that the fee they charge just to have it issued to a card? The cards fee?  Thats nuts... when there are so many cards out there that are cough cough FREE to put money on!  Ugh.
  • I had my refund put on a card last year and it didn't cost me anything.
  • The fee is if you have the payment come out of your refund.  If I knew they charged $29.99 for that service, I would have paid with a checking account instead.  It just wasn't mentioned until the very end, under the assumption that it would cost the same for either option.
  • i was charged that fee also but i didnt apply for a card. its being sent to my bank
  • I totally agee hidden charges
  • I am in a big mess because I didn't want to pay thay $29. fee. I went back & used my credit card to pay & now my return keeps wanting info to have the fee taken from my refund. My wait time was 46 minutes. Ridiculus.
  • I thought that I would be saving money- I could have someone actually prepare them for that amount.  
    Lesson learned.
  • no the fee as I read it was for the bank they go thourgh to process your payment.
  • Can't even find the phone number to call them, can someone share it, please...I don't mind paying the fee because it's still cheaper than having someone else do my taxes, but I am pissed that $220 is missing from my refund...need to call and find out where my money is!!!
  • Turbo tax won't know where you're missing money is. You have to call the IRS.
  • Money is missing from my refund as well. ill pay the two stupid fees because its still cheaper than HR block or a private tax person, but now money is missing like over $200. im PISSED. ill NEVER use them again.
  • I have money missing too.  wait time is over 45 min.... this is ridiculous
  • You have to call the IRS!!! If your taxes were calculated wrong or you did not actually qualify for a certain credit or you were found to owe taxes from a previous year or you had an offset, those are all reasons why your refund could be different. And TT has no knowledge of it. They are the tax preparer. They do not process your refund or issue your money.
  • the money went missing after i filed. when i added my state and federal and subtracted both fees the total i got, and the total it told me i would get back were a out 250 dollars apart.
  • I give up!!!!
  • I agree with tink1975. It could be a past amount you owed, and that would get deducted from your overall refund. Normally, they send you a letter explaining this. Best to call the IRS if you think you were shorted on your refund. TT won't know anything, and they will probably advise you to call the IRS anyhow. And the $29.99 processing fee is a fee to have the filing fee deducted from your refund. It is a silly fee, which is why i just pay with my debit card. Still cheaper than going to a private tax preparer.
  • YES, I WON'T BE USING TURBO TAX AGAIN. RIDICULOUS CHARGE.
  • Tink1975 and others that troll around on this forum obviously work for Turbotax or is associated with them in some fashion. Just pay attention to his and others input, when the majority complain about a problem there is exists something that needs to be fixed.
  • If you're not asking questions or reporting a problem, why else would someoene be in this forum?
  • Yup...you got me. I'm undercover IRS lol. I really was just trying to help answer questions...because at some point in time I myself had a lot of questions. Tax time can be confusing for a lot of people. You didn't have to be rude to me though. I actually have a very big heart and you would see that if you bothered to look at some of my other posts to people.
  • I agree with the above!! I will not use them again!! I could have paid with my bank account if I KNEW that were charging an extra $30 to have it come out of my refund...they're making a killing of this..Go figure!
  • Tink1975 I do apologize for the gender error ma'am. But in all honesty and considering the number of complaints per day and reports about a "hidden" fee wouldn't you agree with that big heart of yours that they probably should make a better attempt to unhide this fee at least for others going forward? Take into consideration the majority of opinions and views of others besides your own.
  • I know I won't use it next year with that fee added I barely got anything back. Didn't even know it was there until I hit send...nice screw job from Turbo Tax NOT next year there is another new one you can use that is free. I will be checking them out next year for sure. Is there a number to call them at?
  • I.was aware of fee... But next year i will pay upfront.... Irs.sens the money to turbotax then they send to my acct ... I don't like having a middle man....next year i want irs to deposit directly to my acct.... It will be quicker
  • This $29.99 additional deposit processing fee is a rip off and they never mentioned it before I started the process.
    There are plenty of other options out there to get the refund done. It cost me a total of $101.11 out of my refund to get taxes done this year, very dissapointing for an online service to do that.
  • I agree-I was not notified of this charge--I am filing a complaint with BBB. Just like any other on-line business, the consumer should be notified of the final amount BEFORE they agree to use the product.
  • I thought the fee $30 fee was charged if you had them to take the charges for using Turbo Tax out of your refund as opposed to paying upfront.  I payed the fee last year because I did not pay upfront.  I read and was aware of that fee.  This year i opted to pay upfront.
  • I did not accept that charge.
    Not pleased.
    I would like a refund.
  • It shows up on the screens.  See my screen shots down at the very bottom.
  • Same here.
  • what did you do ?
  • I had no clue that there was an additional charge also! I was like where the hell is my 30 dollars that is missing....oh you took it without telling me that's right! Will never use turbo tax again! Before this I was completely satisfied now I am completely appalled!
  • There are two screen shots below that clearly show two pages that list the fee. And the verbiage clearly states it is an "additional" fee. I don't understand how so many people are missing it.
  • only if you doing your state they do federal for free
  • No you can file just the federal return in the Free Edition without having to pay for the state.  You only have to pay for the state if you started one.  You can delete the state and file the federal without paying for state.
  • Agrees also i said okay to 27.99 for state federal is suppose to be free.now its 57.00 tax act next year.plus i filed on the 4th.my friends files on a thursday got it monday..what the hold up tt like this is bs for not telling us of the 30.00 charge last time i use u all,
  • TurboTax State: Indiana** $27.99
    Refund Processing Service Fee** $29.99                         is added n0 matter what
  • The Extra 29.99 Refund Processing Service fee is a charge to have the fees deducted from your federal refund.  You can pay up front with a credit card and avoid the extra charge.
  • They have always charged $30 extra if you have them deduct the fee from the refund rather than pay it with your ccard when you file.
  • I agree, plus my state was rejected and the fee was already added in along with this "processing fee". If i had known I would have just filed on irs.gov for free. Not happy!
  • I can't believe they are charging to get my refund after paying them to do my taxes already. I will not turbotax to anyone.
  • They don't charge to get your refund.  Efiling is free.  The fee is to prepare your return whether you efile or print and mail.  And the extra 29.99 service charge is to have the fees deducted from your federal refund or you can pay up front with a credit card to avoid the extra charge.
  • someone responded and said that the extra 29.99 is for fees being deducted from your federal return.  well all I can say is that they have never charged me that until this year.  I don't understand why they have charged so much to do my taxes this year.  I will have to think about who I use next year, and I will not recommend turbo tax to anyone.;
  • Has anyone used the netspend card for their refund? If so, how do you know your taxes go to it? And is it a rip off?
  • I would not use one. I'd go purchase and register a different prepaid card if a bank account is not an option for you.
  • Well actually if you people pay attention, ya'll would see that is not a processing fee for sending your taxes, that is fee for using your federal to pay to use turbox tax and that fee has always been there. If you pay turbo tax without using your federal then you will not be charged a processing fee.
  • That fee has been charged for quite a long time.  Turbotax offers the service, but they do not get the money for it.  The service is through a Tax Group who charge the handling fee to facilitate your fees being paid out of your federal refund rather than paying your Turbotax fees upfront and out of pocket.  So basically you are paying $29.99 to them for borrowing the amount of your fees.  The IRS sends them your refund, they remove your Turbotax fee, their handling fee, and deposit the balance to you.  It's a good service for anyone who just doesn't have the money to pay out of pocket at the time, but is due a refund.
  • Is there a number to call to c y my card hasn't came in the mail.
  • Not only the  fee from turbo tax you will also get a fee from the bank that your refund is sent to! This is for state taxes for payment  if you want it taken from your refund and don't pay up front with say a debit or credit card BEWARE!!
  • Yes I got taken too...Very Very deceiving, how they don't state this..I wish I had read this comments before...Live and Learn I guess...never again
  • totally agree!  I would not recommend this product to anyone & am telling my credit union who advertises them on their website.  I guess that's how they pay for their marketing - by ripping off the customer!!
  • Nice to know, but I didn't see that in print anywhere in the forms!
  • Nice to see I wasn't the only one that feels duped - I never ever would have selected that option if the $30 fee was disclosed - hope someone sues their pants off and gets us our money back.
  • You had to agree to it on at least 2 screens before your paid it and filed.
  • Your screen may have had the amount listed - I went back and looked at my receipts and everywhere I could. Looking through these post it is obvious that other people did not see the amount listed either.  Maybe it was a glitch, what ever it is - Turbo Tax needs to address it as $30 x thousands of people that selected that option without feeling like they where disclosed must be addressed.  Feeling like you have been taken advantage will either result in a class action suit or decrease future sales.  Posts like theses are all over the internet - people having severe problems with the "bank" that got the $30 per transaction.   The whole picture is very ugly and reflects very very poorly on Turbo Tax. I hope they at least have the decency to research it further to see which combination of circumstances made it so the fee was not disclosed.
The site CLEARLY states that your SIMPLE FEDERAL return will be free. If you opt to file your state return with them, there is a fee, and if you opt to have that fee deducted directly from your federal tax return instead of paying upfront then there is a fee for that as well. If you file your state return with them and just pay upfront with a credit/debit card then you don't get the $29 processing fee. The only reason it seems like it's something new (which it technically is) is because they have not always had the option to have the fee for filing the state refund come directly out of your federal return. It used to be that you HAD to pay that upfront or you couldn't file your state return with them. THAT'S where all the confusion is coming from and why we have all the hooplah. Bottom line, you can file any SIMPLE FEDERAL return free; complex returns will cost you; state will cost you; if you have state filing fee deducted from you federal return then you're hit with an additional fee. I've used TT for years and will continue to do so.
  • I have a simple return, I was unemployed for some months last year and I have four dependents. I do not own a home or anyother assets that would cause me to ave to itemise. I was charged 29for thier deluex serice 36 for ffiling state and no where was I ever given the option to not ffile state. and then the 29 for having the money come out of my return. Why was I chared 29 for a delux service for afaily easy return. Its not a 104ez file but I know itsnot hard either. Maybe in thier next advertisment they shoulfd clearify what simple is.
  • To not file your state return, you have to delete it before filing the federal.  I didn't want to file state because my refund was so little the fee to file was almost as much as the refund.  After you file federal, you can go back and do your state return and then you can print it and mail it (or I guess you can file electronically if you want...haven't tried yet).
  • If you don't want to file state, you skip it. or delete it at the end. I do it every year. I then go to  my states efile and file it free. I don't file deluxe either. I use the free file through the irs.gov website if I qualify. or i use the 19.99 basic.
  • I FILED FEDERAL TAXES ONLY, LIVE IN TEXAS SO NO STATE TO FILE AND WAS CHARGED 29.99 AND ANOTHER 29.99 FOR PROCESSING SO IM SURE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING MRANDMRS629...
The fee is a bank fee charged only if you have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund.  The fee shows right on the page where you chose that option.  It has been the same amount for many years.  If you don't want to pay it, go back and choose to have your fees paid with a credit or debit card.
  • If they do not refund our money after using deceptive practices we might be entitled to a class-action lawsuit. At no time was I human being made aware that it would be an additional $29.99 on top of the $19.99.
  • I agree
  • I agree
  • It states the cost as soon as you check have my fees taken out of my refund!!!!!
  • I would like to know what ever happened to the advrtised FREE filing. Honestly if i hadn't already started the process and put all of my personal information in thier system I would have done the free filing forms from the irs site. I have to saythough I am pleased to b getting back morethen what I ever did with H&R. Ijust wish I would get the money already it seems like everyone else I know has already gotten it.
  • If I was initially going to do this service than I hit back to pay with credit card... Will it still come out of my refund?  I'm just worried its going to charge my card plus take out of my refund.
  • Tink1975, doesn't turbotax have something else for you to do?
  • TT is only free when you use the EZ form, God I wish people would read, Everything is clearly stated if you take a min to read it all. And No I don't work for TT or the IRS.
  • No it's not just the EZ form.  It is the Turbo Tax vesion you use.  You can even do a full 1040 in the Free Edition.
  • I agree, same happened to me.
  • I Just think it's retarded that people dont read the print when first starting thier returns. It's not hiddenn if ONLY THEY READ. Use to be a time when common sense really had something going, but as with most things now a days~! I think it's safe to say that COMMON SENSE just isn't so COMMON ANY LONGER lmao. Dont want to pay the fees either  take up reading and comprehensive classes, or go to someone like H&R Block and pay even more. IT's a now brainer~~~! Let me revert back to my common sense theroy---NEVER MIND   LMAO ~~~!
  • I did a full 1040 with itemized deductions for free.  Just make sure you click no thanks every time it tries to get you to upgrade.  Then you don't have to decide whether to have the fees deducted from your refund or pay them upfront, because there are NO FEES.
  • THIS IS SUCH BS -  I GOT RIPPED OFF ANOTHER 29.99!!
    This is a VERY deceptive racket offer into FOOLING you into spending extra money out of your refund - unaware of truth of what they would do!
    I was CLEARLY under the the agreement that I only need to pay the 29.99 ONLY and the total ledger at the end ONLY said the one fee. There was ZERO disclosures that were conspiculously posted said that I'd get ripped off another $29.99 to do my taxes.

With MY refund, because I'm lowest income point in my life withint the last 14 years, after having one of the worst years in my life financially of getting laid off and not hired for any reasonable jobs, I specifically CHOSE the cheapest route possible and STILL managed to get  "taken" of $30 hard earn expected income by this companies.

They did NOT do this last year.  
    I would boycott and NEVER use this service again. UNLESS I GET that money back!
    and will advocate by all means for ANYONE to NOT use this service unless they're prepared to spend ATLEAST $60 on their returns.
  • Scroll down and see the 2 screen shots I posted.  You have to go though at least 2 screens and agree to it.
  • I hope enough people band together to a class action lawsuit  that pays us twice the amount of money that this company deceived us from getting.
    I DO NOT consider myself a naive consumer and am savvy on what I sign and read.  I have a background mortgage lending and insurance, needless to say am used to reading disclosures and fine print, and have not to this date seen the kind of trick that a company has played on scamming its customers as well as Intuit did.  

The fact that SO many people were fooled on this truly hidden fee indicates that turbotax spent time consciously devising a way to hide this and make it non-apparent.  So many people who are smart enough to do their taxes online, are NOT easily fooled.
    Turbotax uses  a tactic with switching between so many screens, bombarding you with a list of options for credits, and trying to overtly sell you extra services, that they rely on your level of mental exhaustion and fatigue so that you will overlook one last deceivingly  worded, counterintuitive option that tell you you're going to get charged.

Regardless, I'm still waiting on a screen shot to show me where I was indicated that I would have had to pay an extra 29.99 to do my federal taxes.
  • I guess you didn't the the screens I posted (I didn't see it either - they get buried in long threads).   just posted it again so scroll way down to the very bottom.
This is new this year. I have used TT for 2 years, this is my third time.  This will also be my last, simply because it used to be easy and cost effective....but now it costs more than going to HR Block.
  • DIDO TO THAT!!! It use to be so much less $$$ now they are trying to get over on people!!
  • Yeah what a rip off. I am so angry. This was never mentioned, only the 29.99 fee. They are charging twice for the same thing. Calling better business bureau to get to the bottom of this, and will not be using them again for sure. What was suppossed to cost 29.99 cost almost 60.
  • For som reason it's costing m $100. I will be going somewhere else next year
  • I agree.  I won't use them again...what a rip off!
  • I also agree way to expensive bringing them in is almost cheaper :(
  • Not true. I only paid $80 altogether for turbotax. Last year I went to h&r block and they charged me $300. Turbo tax is still way cheaper.
  • This is such crap! i have been using Turbo tax for many years and never seen this fee till this year! There was no mention of this so called new processing fee. I'd rather do them myself and will be going somewhere else next year. H and R is a little more but i know there are other places that are cheaper then both. I will not be using this next year!
  • That fee has been there for years. The easiest solution would be to pay your filing fees up front instead of out of your refund. The 29.99 is for that service. TT is trying to make filing easier for those that can't pay fees upfront. It's amazing to me how people can fault TT because they did read what they were checking off. The fee is listed on at least two different pages before filing.
  • The fee has not been there for years. I can pull all the past filings and I have never paid more then $60 on filing!  Now it's 100. Don't tell me it's been there for years cause I've never paid any extra. Sad to see that turbo tax will loose a lot of customers after this year.
  • So you've never paid a fee for having your fees taken out of your refund before this year??? That's odd...because as far back as 2009 they have been charging 29.95 for a refund processing fee.
  • I have used turbotax since 2005. I have almost always had them take my fees from my refund, and every year I choose that option I get charged the extra 29.95. I have also never not seen where it shows me a breakdown of all my fees before I hit continue. Just my experience.
  • yes, i agree i will not use them again,besides after their fees,i am 88.00 dollars short ,so i have to call the I.R.S. to find out what happened. They need to b invesitage. THIS IS  RIDICIOLUS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • it cost me almost ninety dollars and it never cost that much before. my situation has not changed in a couple years.
  • I am with Tink here, I have been using TT for the last six or seven years now and I have never had a problem with them. I think it is ridiculous that people who are in such a hurry to get their money back, are gonna through hissy fits cause they are being charged for something that they were told about, but were in to big of a hurry to stop and pay attention and read the small print. It's simple, if you dont want to pay the charge then pay for the service up front, its just like a credit card. And there might be cheaper places out there but dont be surprised if you get screwed by them, and I will continue to use turbo tax cause I'd rather pay the extra $30 then have to pay $300 to almost $500 like at H&R Block, or Jackson Hewitt.
  • Have been using TT for 6 years. The 30 dollar fee has always been there if you opt not to pay upfront. I used it the first time I filed with TT. I now pay upfront and it only costs 66 bux. People need to start reading what is right in front of them.
  • People really amaze me, complaining about a $29.95 fee for a processing fee which is the fee for them to deduct it from your federal return!!!! People are that tight they think they should be given something for free. Sorry but I for one get tired of people moaning and complaining about $29.95. It really is not the end of the world, I have used Turbo Tax for probably 8 or 9 years now and I would never use anyone else.
  • NO - you're clearly a plant. the extra 30 dollars is NOT CONSPICOUSLY ADVERTISED ANYWHERE, as I spent 5-10 extra minutes making sure I wasn't going to get ripped off any way,  but sure enough I find out that the total deposit of my little refund check was $30 dollars lighter. I still have the screen prints that indicate the total amount to be refund AFTER the 29.99 to be taken out - with NO other fees clearly listed.
    It may be worth hiring a lawyer at this point to make a clear point that this greedy company CANNOT lead and steer unsuspecting people into losing more money than they've already lost to the government.  
    I could have used ANY other online and just payed $30 total.
    SHAME ON YOU TURBO TAX for making hundreds of millions more this tax time becuase you cannot post and clearly mark the truth in refunding totals.  You rely on people clearly exhuasted after spending 2 hours crunching numbers and staring at your return screen, to blindly just keep clicking YES and not see the deceptive print or remember what they didn't see on the last 4 pages on a link that they didn't click to get the full explanation.
Not too bad. HR charges 150 to 350 depending on your needs
    I've been using TurboTax for over a decade and the only time I was every charged more than the advertised fees for filing was when I asked for my filing fees to be deducted from my refund rather than paying with a credit card or some other means.  Also, when we used to be able to do the refund anticipation loans, there was an extra fee for that as well.  I don't understand why everyone is so surprised by this processing fee for having the filing fees taken out of their refund.  It is not a new fee!  The "free" filing is only if you use the 1040ez form.  TT walks you through the process so carefully and gives you every opportunity to go back or log out and think about what you want to do. 
      with my state refund and federal it cost me $128. love the hidden fee and taxes. I will be looking else where next year.
        The fee is if you have the payment come out of your refund. Pay the $19.99 with your Credit Card and they will not charge the $29.99 fee.
        • i paid with credit card charged me like 40
        • yea we paid from out bank account, and got charged like 70 some bucks to file both the state and federal returns, even after it said the federal return was supposed to be done for free, then they say at the end that they wont send it unless you pay.  I would have had to print out my returns and mail them in if I didnt pay the fee (so was forced to pay as I dont have a printer that works atm).  So bogus, for what I paid I could have had H&R Block do my taxes.  Totally misleading advertisements, definately not free.  Will never use TT again.
        • NO IT's NOT!  Where did you see that? BS! I have screen shots on the total amount to be refunded and deposited into my account- with no caveats, not special footers on the page or explanations on what the fees woudl be.
          Such BS
        Wow - maybe you all should just do the taxes yourself with a pen and paper, instead of all this complaining.  There were plenty of "back" buttons to hit before you submitted your taxes vis e-file.  You surely had to understand the charges before you "continued". 
        Simple means just you with nothing else special. You and a w-2. No dependants, no credits, nothing else. The free one is ONLY for the simple filing. I cannot believe the amount of people that do not read before they click. I knew of all the charges before I was finished and had no problem. My taxes cost $300 to file elsewhere. $80 is a deal compared to some other tax preparers.
        • That is not true at all.   I did the free federal edition with 3 dependants, EIC, itemized deductions, charitable donations, and energy credits as well as the first time homebuyer credit.
        First and last time using TurboTax.
          I don't know I feel the site was extremely user friendly with clear step by step directions and help and my BF just filed his taxes thru HR and paid almost $300 to file. I used their free edition and was clearly made aware of the $29.99 fee to process refunf into my bank account via direct deposit before I accepted it. Also the $27.99 fee to include my state taxes with my federal deposit. So I paid a total of less then $58 dollars. I personally think you above complaining can't read. This was my 1st year using TT and I was very happy with the small fees compared to what a private accountant or big tax companies were gonna charge me. My refund was filed and accepted on the 6th of Feb 2013 and IRS and TT emailed me today and it will be in my account today the 15th and is the exact amount I was quoted after fees are deducted and IRS site confirms this. No matter how you file even if you do your own paper form of taxes at home there is always a processing fee of some sort. I think you guys complaining should look into how much you would have paid thru other sources and realize what an asset Turbo Tax is if used correctly and if you read all the info they very clearly provide as you go step by step. I will definately be using TT every year. Very satisfied customer!!!!!!!
          • this loser must work for turbo tax
          • if your referring to me no sorry i don't thanks.. I am a NC resident and my legal husband is a Fl resident and I was able to still file jointly with him no hiccups and be in different states which was ideal. Plus i could pay my state taxes which he don't have cause FL doesn't have them and then our federal together. I honestly read all the info provided page by page and found the site very easy. It clearly stated before you hit the last file button what fee's there are and even gives you a a break down itomized summary. IDK  if the paid editions are different but the free one was awesome. I just got taxes in bank today less then 7 business days later and only 9 days total from the time I filed. I also have many friends who use the site and have always been happy so given my location issue with my ex i tried it out this year and loved it.. I will never pay a CPA 150 or HR block 300 again.. And if i worked for turbotax id be liable for saying anything negative about other resources for taxes .. soooo duh im obviously a real individual who can just read and follow basic directions.. I mean what do ya'll want someone to hold ur hand thru it cause i believe their online support will.. But basically if ya can't read, follow directions, and are an idiot then yeah i guess a site where ya do your own taxes probably isn't the right idea.. So just go to HR Block let em hold your lil hand and charge ya a butt load more then the whooping 29.99 this site charges and then really have a fee to cry about. And it woulda only been the 29.99 but i opted again by choice to pay 27.99 also to have my state return included in same direct deposit as my federal which again step by step procedures and itomized charges we're always made very clear before i hit the final send button..Now off to spend my tax money on toys and fun stuff and ya'll enjoy your whinning over a tiny lil fee.. Thanks Turbo Tax I Loved Your Site and we'll see ya next year same time same place :)
          • I've been using TT for years and that's never happened to me before about the RPF, and now that it's happened, I refuse to use them again! They didn't even mention it, wasn't too happy. Maybe TT will see these comments and take the PF off! Rip off!
          • OMGOSH!!! WHAT'S WITH THE NAME CALLING ON HERE? TROLLS, LOSERS? ARE THESE ADULTS SAYING THIS? GROW UP PEOPLE! SLOW DOWN AND READ WHAT YOU ARE AGREEING TO BEFORE YOU CLICK INTO THE NEXT SCREEN & GO BACK THRU THE RETURN AGAIN TO MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING. AND IF YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE YOUR FILING FEES DEDUCTED FROM YOUR RETURN EVEN AFTER IT CLEARLY STATES A FEE OF $27.99 TO DO SO, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT YOU READ IT, IT IS ON YOU. IT WAS YOUR CHOICE &/OR YOUR ERROR, THEREFORE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY... SO GROW UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS! WE NEED TO SET A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR THE NEXT GENERATION LOOKING UP TO US FOR GUIDANCE. LET'S SHOW OUR CHILDREN IT IS OK TO MAKE A MISTAKE SO LONG AS YOUR HONEST ABOUT IT & ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR ACTIONS WITHOUT BLAMING OTHERS OR CALLING NAMES!
          They have always charged an additional 29.99 if you don't pay the fee up front. If you chose to have the fee deducted from your refund or put on a card, the bank it is processed from , a Santa Monicca bank I think . Charges. 29.99. I only did it once about 4 years ago. Now , I just come up with the 19.99 and do the basic. That first year it cost me 68.00 to file my taxes. Now it's 19.99
          • I think you and the other trolls are missing the point, the fact that it is not stated clearly until its already processed that the 29.99 is in ADDITION to the 19.99 is what most people on here are upset about. Not to mention the fact that they (or you) have visibility to these very specific complaints and know about the confusion and dissatisfaction surrounding the hidden fee on this forum, chat and 1+ hour wait time phone line and choose to do nothing about it for future customers.
          • It is not a hidden fee. It clearly states that for an additonal charge they will take it out of your refund. Read the words. There are 2 boxes to check. Pay with credit card for free, or pay out of refund for a fee.
          • Why then do they wait til the end to ask you???

Even if its at the end.........~~~! You dont have to pay the fee if you just log out and forget it. NOT HARD~!~~!
          • edwardr223... IF YOU SCROLL DOWN THIS PAGE OF ANSWERS YOU WILL FIND THAT VolvoGirl HAS PASTED 2 DIFFERENT SCREEN SHOTS SHOWING WHERE/WHEN IN THE PROCESS YOU ARE INFORMED OF THE FEE BEFORE YOU COMPLETE THE RETURN AND FILE. YOU MIGHT WANT TO RESEARCH & BACK YOUR CLAIMS BEFORE YOU GO AROUND CALLING OTHERS TROLLS.
          • Fact of the matter is that TT has knowingly decieved MANY customers into thinking only 1 fee of 29.99 would come out of their deduction - for the state fee that is -instead of 2 feeds.
            Even if they made the filing fee 27.99, and indicated the state return would be the 29.99, there would have been much head scratching over the the two different amounts and would have caught a greater amount of attention. But the fact that the COSTS WERE THE SAME for both fees CLEARLY fooled hundreds of thousands of people, including myself, into assuming that they were only talking about the state fee. They did a horrible job at putting the 29.99 +29.99 together on the final ledger.
            BOTTOM LINE, Turbotax did an excellent job scamming hundreds of thousands of people out of 30 extra dollars and is getting away with it.  If they were a more forthwrite company, they would have made a better ledger in the end indicating the total amount money coming back to you WITH withholdings taken out of it.
            I spent conscious moments looking for the extra fees and I simply could not spot any where on the very last screens that I was going to get another 30 dollars taken from my refund.
            Thanks Intuit - way to blow those record profits this tax season!
          The Refund Processing fee has been there for years.  Last it was called the Refund Transfer Fee.  You have to agree to it.  Here's a couple screens I came across where it shows up.  Didn't anyone see these screens?  Maybe there is a problem in some versions.  They need to find out why people aren't seeing it.

• I had to dig and dig to figure out why my deposited amount was lower than expected - my refund summary did not show the charge. I have credit cards and never ever would have agreed to pay for this fee if I knew it was there.

I believe that is the fee if you have them take your filing fee (eg - the fee for using any TT service beyond the free edition) out of your refund.
          • Correct.
          • yep. turbo tax is a now a rip off. never using them again. nearly 100.00 in fees for an ez file. ridiculous
          • looks like you need some spelling classes..
          • Well give yourself a HUGE pat yourself on the back for being one of the very few who caught the deceptive bait and switching this company did. the fact that way more people got fool instead of not indicates that TurboTax has consciously made the decision to get these people on technicalities and relied deceptive wording and counterintuitive webpage programming to get people to not SEE or KNOW what they were getting into . Its obvious when the audit defense came up four times, that you could simply bipass that. But when the company made the 29.99 state And the 29.99 filing fee, they interchanged the sentences and words into what those fees were, KNOWING that the average person was going to skip on reading by the 29.99 part, because they'd read earlier that was for the state fee. This is exactly what fooled so many people.
          I have been using TT for years! Next year its on to better places. The economy is bad as it is....expecting people to give up more than before at a time like this is horrific and shows that your company doesnt care at all for its customers.
            Its been there for as long as I have been using this, since 2001. If you pay up front and want direct deposit, you wont get charged. You will only get charged if you have the fees taken from your return.
              You only have that fee, if you dont pay up front for the program.   You cant expect them to "take it from your refund" for free. They have to pay someone to handle that transaction. 
              You guys are really crazy. If you wanna complain about turbo tax DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST BEFORE YOU BLAME SOMEBODY. Not being mean but I'm 22 and tt so far is the best. This is the 3 rd place I've tried and they are better. If you go on down to liberty sure they won't tell you that they have a almost $500 fee to process so I would strongly advise you people to contact the IRS! Ok HAVE A NICE DAY
                Buy the deluxe version, 5 FREE e-file returns. Do as many returns you want to do. NO FEES. Don't select any other options. NO FEES.
                I have been using TT deluxe for many, mamy years and will do so next year. I have NEVER paid a penny more. As pointed out ahead of me. READ the OPTIONS please. Don't blame TT for YOUR mistakes.
                • That is only for the Desktop CD/Download Software.  In all Desktop versions you can do unlimited returns and efile 5 (IRS Limit).  

Online versions are only good for 1 return.
                this fee has been the same for the last 10 years I've used Turbo Tax. It's not hidden and clearly stated in payment options if you have the bank take out fees for Turbo Tax monies. The bank will charge a fee just like a expensive ATM, PayPal Etc.. people need to read disclaimers not just click through...
                  I have used this service for 2 years now, and was never charged a the extra fee at the end. I don't understand why it cost me 82.00 to do my own taxes. for 20.00 less I could have had someone do them for me. I will not be using this service next year. I am very disappointed in the hidden charge at the end.
                    Thanks  very much, we appreciate any and all compliments
                    • It's funny. People who can afford a computer and a printer can send in their taxes for the cost of an envelope and two stamps. People who are broke and don't have a printer have to pay $60.
                    • (profanity deleted)
                      Needless to say, I will NOT use TurboTax ever again.
                    I have a question... I first wanted to do this but then researched and found out it was extra. After the first initial form they get you to sign, I went back and paid with my credit card... Will this mess anything up?  Will i I pay twice?
                      .
                      • There was a fee last year.  You must not be remembering it right or didn't understand it was there.  Or you paid a different way.
                      • Paid the same way and still no fee. I even pulled up my info.I would have paid with my card this go around if I had known there was an additional fee
                      I'll confirm as a long time user of the program (since 2006) the 29.99 processing fee has been present at least since 2009. It's usually clearly noted in bold on the pay out of refund agreement. It's a shame more people aren't reading what they are signing. Or at the very least if they've chosen that option and want help switching back... call turbotax support. those folks always do a great job fixing this stuff.
                        I had this same exact problem, I mistakenly chose having my TT fees deducted from my Federal Tax Return and later realized that I was getting an additional 29.99 deducted from my federal tax return.

I spoke to a TT customer service rep via webchat, after waiting 30 or so minutes on the line (I just ran it in the background at work) and the customer service rep said that although she wasn't able to refund my processing fee she offered to refund my TT fees for state e-filing, which is 27.99. This was good enough for me, plus she was completely helpful.
                        • One further note, she said that the refund will come in the form of a check and gave me a reference number to boot!
                        Here's 2 screens someone posted showing the fees

How to find your fees…
                        Log in to your return
                        Click on Tools
                        Click on My Fees
                        A window will pop up that shows the fees

And to have the fees deducted from your federal refund is an EXTRA 29.99 Refund Processing Fee. Or you can pay with a credit card and avoid the extra charge.
                          This made me mad also .... It already charges $72 for them to do it now a processing fee smh
                          • It's not a processing fee for your return to be processed!!!! It's a fee if you opt to have your filing fee taken out of your refund. It pays the cost of turbo tax setting up a temporary account for your refund to be deposited to so that turbo tax can then deduct your filing fees. It clearly states it when you check the option to have your fees deducted from your return. The fee for a basic return is 19.99 and 29.99 to have your fees taken out of your refund. If you use free file there is NO fees. Check which turbo tax package you were using. It also clearly states that at the top.
                          • Look at all of Tink1975 comments, he works on behalf of or works for Turbotax. Why else would some idiot troll around these forums and try and justify all of turbotax's hidden fees?
                          • Anyone else agree?
                          • I'm a woman by the way. And I do have feelings. But thanks so much for singling me out.
                          • SHE ALREADY ADMIT THAT SHE WORKS FOR I.R.S. IN AN BEFORE STATEMENT. SHE NOT ON OUR SIDE. CAN'T BE TRUST.
                          • I'm sorry fluecake but I think you need some medication.
                          • I think if Turbotax makes a change to the delivery model of this fee next year we shouldn't see this many complaints dated next year.
                          • I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID EDWARDR223...
                          • I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID TINK1975... AND I APPRECIATE THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WILLING TO SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE THEY HAVE OBTAINED TO ASSIST THOSE OF US WHO HAVE QUESTIONS AND CAN'T GET THROUGH TO A TT REP FOR OVER 30MIN AT LEAST IT APPEARS... SO THANK YOU TINK, YOU ARE ONE OF THE FEW PEOPLE ON HERE WHO IS NOT AN IDIOT, IT APPEARS... SO TROLL-ON MY FRIEND! BTW, IF Y'ALL PAID ATTENTION, YOU'D NOTICE THAT FOR THE MOST PART SHE'S BEEN GIVING THE SAME ANSWER TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION RE: THE FEE & TO OTHERS WHO SHARE THE CONCERN OR HAVE A SIMILAR QUESTION... ONLY SHE'S HAD TO REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, BREAKING IT DOWN INTO MORE & MORE DETAIL, TAILORING IT TO EACH INDIVIDUALS RESPONSE,  IN THE HOPES OF HELPING US UNDERSTAND. AND SHE HASN'T BEEN JUSTIFYING ANYTHING THAT I CAN SEE THUS FAR. I'VE HEARD NO OPINION OR FEELING ABOUT THE SUBJECT, ONLY SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD FACTS WHICH SHE HAS BEEN KIND ENOUGH TO REPEAT SEVERAL TIMES, UNFORTUNATELY. SO AGAIN, THANKS, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DO SO!!!
                          I was not given an option to pay with my debit card, credit card nothing to avoid this fee
                          • Then you weren't paying attention
                          • Lal2, you have 0 questions and 1 answer on this forum and that 1 answer was "Then you weren't paying attention"? Why would you go out of your way to respond to a community of users reporting what they believe is a hidden fee? Seriously why would someone do that?