delayed due to Education Credit

i am wondering why my refund was delayed due to Education Credit when i didn't use Form 8863.All i claimed was a tuition & fee deduction. On IRS.gov is says "The IRS emphasized that the delayed start will have no impact on taxpayers claiming other education-related tax benefits, such as the tuition and fees deduction and the student loan interest deduction."
  • how did you claim the tuition and fee deduction.  I meet all of the requirements and qualify but I am not able to get it for some reason... is this due to the delay? ( i have not submitted yet)
Im in the same Situation so im really curious myself. Think im gonna contact them now. Ill let you know what i find out
  • im in the same boat and they are delaying the refund due to the education credit. they will start processing our taxes on  FEb 15th. Thats, what the IRS CSR told me on yesterday.
  • man :(
    even the 1098-t too?
  • If you claimed educational credits from a 1098-T or 1098-E or similiar, then when your taxes is prepared a form 8863 is used. There is a nationwide delay on processing educational credits. The IRS will not accept returns with educational credits until mid-February. Go to irs.gov to see the posting about the nationwide delay. Your status will remain pending on TT or non-existant on irs.gov until the IRS is ready to receive the form. The IRS is having program errors with relations to the 8863 forms. They will be fixed, updated, and ready by mid-February.
Just like when you have a W-2 from your employer, you have to use a 1040-ez or 1040 form to file. The 1098-T and 1098-E requires use of the form 8863 to claim the credit.
  • if we submitted forms 1098*T/E....are we gong to have to resubmit using form 8863
  • If you used TT to file and you submitted your 1098 T/E, then TT will automatically use the 8863 form for your credit. Its the same with any tax preparer. You do not have to resubmit if you already filed. View your full complete return and you'll see that the 8863 form is used with your 1098 information inputted.
  • Wow, I would like to thank you for clarifying the form 8863. I have been asking about this since I filed on 1/31. None has been able to answer my questions. That would explain why mine is still pending as of today!
  • jldeforest - with the use of the 8863 form for filing, your taxes should have been sent to the irs for review on Feb 14th. I also filed on 1/31 and my taxes was accepted by the irs on Feb 14th. Although it is still in the review process at the irs, it is no longer pending. You can also go to irs.gov and check with the "where's my refund" for more information. After the acceptance process, the irs can take up to 21 days to give you your refund. The going over the fiscal cliff is what really messed everything up this year with the irs. Congress would not pass or even agree on the new tax laws and therefore it put the irs behind schedule. Although everyone is blaming the irs, its not their fault, its congress for taking their sweet time and not allowing the irs to be ready for us.

Just note, there are other forms that are not commonly used by the everyday 'joe' for credits that cannot be filed until mid-March; for example - energy efficient credits. If you just had a simple income from W-2's and college credits, your acceptance date is Feb 14th. If you claimed energy credits like for a electric or hybrid car or energy efficient improvements to a home, etc, then your acceptance date will be mid-March. All this information is available to the public at irs.gov.
  • Well I just called the IRS and the forms I used were not the reason my return was delayed. But what I did find out was that the form Passive Activity Loss Limitations was the reason. Would you happen to know what this form is?
  • I have no clue what that form is. I have never heard of it. Maybe look on irs.gov with the forms that are delayed and you might find the reasoning as to why. They have a list of about 30 forms that are delayed with reasons as to why.
  • See this link to explain what the Passive Active Loss Limitations is.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8582.pdf
    or
    http://taxguide.completetax.com/text/c60s10d399.asp