how do i use my ip pin on e file

Where do I enter my 6-Digit Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN)?

Updated: 1/16/2013

Article ID: HOW13747

If you provided documentation to the IRS within the past 3 years that you were a victim of identity theft, the IRS will send you letter LTR4869CS sometime in November of 2012. 

Around mid-December, you'll get a second IRS letter – CP01F – which includes your unique 6-digit Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN). Safeguard your IP PIN and only use it to file your 2012 return.

Tip: Don't confuse the 6-digit IP PIN with the similar-sounding but unrelated 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN which is used to verify your identity for e-filing.

To enter your 6-digit IP PIN:
1.Sign in to TurboTax Online or open your return in the software version.
2.Click the Federal Taxes tab (or Personal in the Home & Business version) and then choose Other Tax Situations.
3.In the Other Return Info section, click the Start or Update button to the right of Identity Protection PIN.
4.On the next screen, select Yes and follow the on-screen instructions.
im sorry i need my pin number too did you  find out how to get it

Turbo tax is easy to use but for first time tax payers it sometimes rejects the taxes because of the pin no one who is a first time tax refundee. it was confusing at first but turbo tax walks you through the rejection. Make sure to get your pin from the IRS website before hand so you have it readily available to use. 

How do I finalize and get my PIN
        gina,dd.cooper25
        may be this will help.

Electronic Filing PIN Request

The quickest and easiest fix is to enter your IRS e-filing PIN:
         1.Go to the IRS PIN request website or call the automated IRS number 1-866-704-7388 to obtain a new e-filing PIN

• The IRS states if you are a victim of identify theft, you enter only the special PIN number which was sent for identification purposes.  I have been told I do not need to enter a PIN number for e-file purpose nor will my AGI work.  I have been told many people are having problems with TurboTax and other tax programs.
        • I am also having the same problem.  I am a victim of identity theft for 2011 and have an IP PIN this year.  I am unable to obtain an e-filing PIN or use my previous year AIG.  I called the IRS and they told me to use 0 for 2011 AIG.  This was also rejected.
        • They told me the same thing.  Then I called another number and they told me we don't need an electronic filing pin nor the AGI with Turbotax of any tax program, which is not true.  As you know, Turbotax will not work without this information as far as I know.  I've tried and can't get it to work.  E-mailed them and am waiting for an answer on what to do about this.  The only alternative is to mail it which I don't want to have to wait 6-8 weeks for a check.  Who's to say we won't have more problems.  As far as I'm concerned, why didn't the IRS correct our information in their computer systems.  Seems as though they have left the "crooks" information in our files and didn't correct them.  How great is that?
        • I'm having the same problem although I am not a victim of identity theft that I know of.  My filing has gotten rejected 4 times using my prepopulated AGI from the 2011 TT filed return - which is correct.  The Electronic filing PIN request is responding that a PIN number cannot be assigned and the automated service at 800-829-1040 is saying that 'you do not need an electronic filing pin for this years' return.  Enter zero for 2011 AGI.'  Which I don't want to do for obvious reasons - my AGI was not zero in 2011.  Shouldn't TT have this number stored somewhere??