Are Social Security Disability Payments taxable?

  • How do I use the SSI Notice 703?
  • I don't know what a Notice 703 is.  But if it is ssi then ssi is not reported at all.   You only report SS & SSDI and get a SSA-1099 for those.
  • Is an SSA-1099-SM the same as a plain SSA-1099?  I'm permanently disabled.
  • Yes a SSA-1099-SM is the same as a SSA-1099.  I guess I need to include the SM in my answers.
  • I have Parkinson disease and have been receing ss benefits (about 20,000 more or less) since I was forced to retire due to my condition.  I also receive about $50,00 per year, from my pension.

    To what degree are my SS benefits taxable?

  • The past ( years I did not pay taxes on my ssdi.  Why is it that this year with 12,888 in benefits I'am being taxed by Federal on 15%  of that income when my agi is 24,000 ???
  • Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
    Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
    Single or head of household: $25,000
    Married Filing Separately: 0
  • I was just informed by the SS Administration that I was granted a disabled status for my Social Security benefits. They backdated this to Oct 2010. How do I handle the entry for SS benefits i received in 2012>
Do you get any other income? If you ONLY get SSI or  Social Security or Social Security Disability or a SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 for railroad retirement you do not have to file a return.  And there is no benefit to itemizing deductions.

Enter a SSA-1099 or RRB-1099  under
Federal Taxes tab
Wages and Income tab
Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Update button

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0
  • My husbands gross income was 47,500 and his disability was 10,300 and my Social Security was 9,300. we did not receive 1099`s for either of us so I am not sure how to claim this.  If I understand you correctly, We claim all of his and 1/2 of mine. Is that correct? Should we be filing separately?
  • No you enter in the full amounts and the taxable part will be automatically calculated.
  • My situation is a little different.  I actually became disabled in 2011, but didn't get the proceeds until 2012, 4000.00, but the 1099, of course, includes this.  I also got a small pension of about 3700, but the government already took the taxes out before i got it, about 786.  My husband is retired and get social security plus a pension.  I filed jointly, and it is actually showing that i have money coming back.  I do have deductions overriding the standard deductions, plus home interest.  When I did the 703 though, it is showing that I should probably pay some taxes.  So am I missing something here.  Our total comes out to be around 43000.00 after doing the 703.  Really confused now.  I always thought ss was not taxes no matter which one it is since we worked all of our life to get this anyway.  Sort of like a double taxation going on here.  What do you think?
  • I had the same situation but I started 2008 and didn't get money until 2009. Call the irs hotline just in case, but I believe you have to do a correction to your 2011 or  what was backdated for your SSD in 2011. I messed up and ended up owing almost 2k in taxes since I had also received some disability pay I claimed as wages for 2008 from work.
SSDI can be taxable if you have other income.  Up to 85% of SS benefits are taxable.  It is a sliding scale based on your other income and filing status.
  • i usually do not file my disability but this year i got a k1 for inheritance when my father passed away.  i had federal taxes taken out of the inheritance.  Do i have to include the information from my disbility 1099 when i file my return this year along with with the k1?
  • Yes.
Contribute an answer

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.