Are Social Security Disability Payments taxable?

• How do I use the SSI Notice 703?
  • I don't know what a Notice 703 is.  But if it is ssi then ssi is not reported at all.   You only report SS & SSDI and get a SSA-1099 for those.
  • Is an SSA-1099-SM the same as a plain SSA-1099?  I'm permanently disabled.
  • Yes a SSA-1099-SM is the same as a SSA-1099.  I guess I need to include the SM in my answers.
  • I have Parkinson disease and have been receing ss benefits (about 20,000 more or less) since I was forced to retire due to my condition.  I also receive about $50,00 per year, from my pension.

To what degree are my SS benefits taxable?

Thanks
  • The past ( years I did not pay taxes on my ssdi.  Why is it that this year with 12,888 in benefits I'am being taxed by Federal on 15%  of that income when my agi is 24,000 ???
  • Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
    Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
    Single or head of household: $25,000
    Married Filing Separately: 0
  • I was just informed by the SS Administration that I was granted a disabled status for my Social Security benefits. They backdated this to Oct 2010. How do I handle the entry for SS benefits i received in 2012>
Do you get any other income? If you ONLY get SSI or  Social Security or Social Security Disability or a SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 for railroad retirement you do not have to file a return.  And there is no benefit to itemizing deductions.

Enter a SSA-1099 or RRB-1099  under
Federal Taxes tab
Wages and Income tab
Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Update button

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0
  • My husbands gross income was 47,500 and his disability was 10,300 and my Social Security was 9,300. we did not receive 1099`s for either of us so I am not sure how to claim this.  If I understand you correctly, We claim all of his and 1/2 of mine. Is that correct? Should we be filing separately?
  • No you enter in the full amounts and the taxable part will be automatically calculated.
  • My situation is a little different.  I actually became disabled in 2011, but didn't get the proceeds until 2012, 4000.00, but the 1099, of course, includes this.  I also got a small pension of about 3700, but the government already took the taxes out before i got it, about 786.  My husband is retired and get social security plus a pension.  I filed jointly, and it is actually showing that i have money coming back.  I do have deductions overriding the standard deductions, plus home interest.  When I did the 703 though, it is showing that I should probably pay some taxes.  So am I missing something here.  Our total comes out to be around 43000.00 after doing the 703.  Really confused now.  I always thought ss was not taxes no matter which one it is since we worked all of our life to get this anyway.  Sort of like a double taxation going on here.  What do you think?
  • I had the same situation but I started 2008 and didn't get money until 2009. Call the irs hotline just in case, but I believe you have to do a correction to your 2011 or  what was backdated for your SSD in 2011. I messed up and ended up owing almost 2k in taxes since I had also received some disability pay I claimed as wages for 2008 from work.
SSDI can be taxable if you have other income.  Up to 85% of SS benefits are taxable.  It is a sliding scale based on your other income and filing status.
  • i usually do not file my disability but this year i got a k1 for inheritance when my father passed away.  i had federal taxes taken out of the inheritance.  Do i have to include the information from my disbility 1099 when i file my return this year along with with the k1?
  • Yes.