Why doesn't adding a property tax deduction reduce the taxes I owe?

I added a 1099-misc and watched the taxes due zoom up. Then I added a 4K property tax deduction, but the taxes due didn't budge. I looked at Schedule A and my itemized deductions did go up appropriately. Is there a deduction limit or why didn't it affect my taxes due?
    Is your standard deduction higher than your itemized deductions?

• No, we definitely have more deductions if we itemize.

I just tried entering 10K more property tax to see if it would affect my tax....nope. Strange. The deductions increase by 10K  on both Sched A and 1040 line 40.

I think it gets added back in via AMT maybe.
    • Good observation....AMT does not take into account those deductions so you may have answered your question.