TRUCK DRIVER PER DIEM

WHAT DAILY STANDARD PER DIEM DO i USE AS AN OTR DRIVER OUT 288 DAYS A YEAR

• what form do we need to use
  • What if you are and owner/operator not an employee?  Do we still get 80% per diem deduction? where will that come in on the Turbo Tax Schedule C?
    [scroll down for answer]
  • I am a company driver.  My company does per-diem, but it doesn't come up to $59 per day; it is a lesser amount.  Do I deduct the difference?  Say, for example the company pays $39 per day (averaged out over all days worked).  Would that allow me to deduct the $20 difference?
    [scroll down for answer]
$59/day for all full-day overnights in USA is 2012 M&IE per diem for DOT workers (same as 2012).
Input as "Meals" - Form 2106 (Itemized Deductions) for Employees, Schedule C if Self-Employed.
Lodging expenses must be actual, and documented.
Q:  Do I deduct the difference [from $59/day DOT rate]?

A: Yes - The program first applies allowable deductions, then asks about any compensation for travel.
Answers in both areas will result in difference being applied.  

As a TT-using OTR trucker put it: "Under the employment Expenses tab there is a Job-Related Expenses screen. You need to enter yes to being a transportation worker. It will have a field having something to do with meals and transportation rules. in this field you enter your expense by doing the following---

You count your log book days out and multiply by $59 per day in the USA and enter this number. If your company pays Per Diem you then need to subtract what they paid from the rate you are entitled to for the year and enter this new number instead.

The software will do all the other math for you."
    It flags you in the system if you are a driver, you check the box and it will shoot you to that form you are looking for.
    • What box?  I never got one to check!
    • It is under Employment Expenses( in the personal section), under Job Related Expenses, you have to add your occupation and then it should guide you through the rest... : )
    • I did not find the box. Under occupation, it show he is a truck driver but it doesn't not have anything about per diem or days away
    • I must have something filled in wrong, when you look at the 2106 form, it is taking 50% no the 80% that is supposed to be for a truck driver??
    where do i go for this form "2106" on turbo?
    Q: What if you are and owner/operator not an employee? Do we still get 80% per diem deduction? where will that come in on the Turbo Tax Schedule C?

A: Yes, entered as 'Meals' in Schedule C deduction inputs ..
    • Do I enter the full 100% or the 80%?
    • Enter full amount, and identify yourself as DOT applicable when asked.
    • do you multiply the days gone by the per diem rate of $59.00 a day? I know we don't enter for days traveled home or half days home just away days.
    • Yes, full days away x $59 per. More than 12 hours away is 3/4 rate.