can 2 people claim head of household?

My boyfriend and I share a home together for over 4 years. We both have a dependent that lives with us so we will claim our own child on our own taxes. We share a joint checking account that ALL our money goes into to pay for all living expenses no matter what the expense is. How would we do this?
  • if each of them have a dependent to claim, then they both are able to file head oh household, even though they use the same address?
  • i am married but my spouse doesn't live with me can i claim head of household
  • Just to be sure... my fiance & I own a home together, each have dependent children living with us, all money for household comes out of a joint account so essentially we each are paying 50% of expenses towards house.  Since we each pay 50% (not 51% to 49%) does that mean neither one of us can claim HOH?
You would have to each have a dependent, then you both could file as single marital status and get head of household. If there is only one dependent in question, only one of you can claim the dependent and receive HoH status. 
  • So...... if each of them have a dependent to claim, then they both are able to file head oh household, even though they use the same address?
  • Same question as miss cari
  • Same question please help!
  • You'd have to determine if you each paid over half of the upkeep of the "home."
  • Aren't my college student daughter's rent and utilities that I pay a part of MY household expenses? Even though the person i live with pays slightly more than half for the house we share.
  • i think a Turbo Tax Rep needs to explain this answer in better detail. We're all still very confused!!
  • Does claimin HOH have any negative impact on the partner's taxes other than that they cannot also claim HOH? My partner (unmarried) and I have 2 children, we each claim one child on our taxes.  We split the rent 50/50 but I pay all the utilities and more than half the food expenses.
Only one person can provide more than 50% of the support for a household.