This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.
TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

WMR is telling me to call the IRS and use Reference Number 9001? What does this mean?

Here's what I found on WMR a few minutes ago. Reference Number 9001 is a new one to me! Any ideas? I was accepted on 1/26.

Refund Status Results 
We cannot provide any information about your refund.

Please allow at least 4 weeks from the date you mailed your return to get information about your refund.

If you have questions or need additional information, please have the following on hand when you call:
  • A copy of this page.
  • A copy of your tax return.
  • The Social Security Number, Filing Status, and refund amount claimed on your return.
  • The date you mailed your return.
Please mention reference number 9001 to the IRS Customer Service Representative.
IRS Hours of Service:
Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Call:
1-800-829-0582, when asked for an extension, enter 362.
From outside the US call 267-941-1000.
TTY/TDD: 1-800-829-4059

I'd probably call the number and ask.  Your only going to know for sure what it means if you call and ask. Rather than everyone guessing what the reason is, facts would be better, and from the source. Just saying.. 
    • Everyone who is guessing will definitely be frustrated cuz there is no regulation of how they do your refunds and it should be. I got accepted on the 26th of Jan. and got a refund today which is the 6th. I only got like $375.00 out of $4500.00 that I am supposed to get pending them sending me some type of letter telling me what else is needed
    • Brenda, did u file education credits.
    • Brendabeyt is was the amount on wmr or is that something they said after you called?
    • No I didn't file education credits and I did get some loans darn I didn't think about that. Those grants would definitely put me up on the amounts for filing but not that much maybe about 4000.00 MORE BUT STILL i DIDN'T GET THAT MUCH ON MY NET AMOUNT OF EARNINGS ..this year..
    • That was the amount that IRS sent to my bank $400.00 but now that I am thinking I didn't file my education credit but they shouldn't be able to take $4100.00 USD away from me?
    • No the loan people cannot take your money. They can take u to court. Did u call?
    We are all adults and the name calling and cattiness is inappropriate and not necessary. We are here to help each other. My account was showing up that same reference 9001, until today. It changed back and gave me a disbursement date. The reference 9001 is an over load in the IRS system.. If you have any questions make sure you have time and call the 1 800 number! To make sure everything is ok. If you went through turbo tax, H&R block call them, you paid for their services get your money's worth.
      I'm willing to bet my tax return that the system is down from people that are checking it every 5min.!!!!!!!!!!! FYI the irs updates once a day and usually in the middle of the night, so if you check in the morning, it is pointless to check anymore that day, you are only making the system overload and then people who are smart enough to only check once a day no longer have that benefit because of the lovely people who filed 2days ago and are shocked they haven't received a DD lol
      • LMAO
      • collins22601 you are actually wrong.  I had the same message about reference code 9001 this morning and I called and they just said it was in the processing stage.  I just checked again on the wmr site and it had changed status.  So it doesn't only update once a day.  And for the people who are wondering (such as I) what the 9001 code means, the IRS agent told me it only means it is being processed.
      • Yea donna I did the same thing. The agent said the system is overloaded. Also a neat trick I learned is to clear  your cookies. That way u can check as many times as u like. Lol.

Signed,
        Filed 8 days ago. Lol
      • IF your checking more than 3x a day, there's something wrong. I mean if you think about it.. If you check around 9am the system would have already updated.. then check around 4pm the system may or may not have updated again and then again around 9-10pm. I mean in all reality that's pretty much covering any time during the day that the system could have potentially updated.. then again I read on the irs website that the system updates overnight.
      • You are right tadams but some people just need to see that first screen that u and I probably have already seen that's all. It can be frustrating. But some people really need their money. Like me. Lmao I need a vacation! Lmdao
      under review had this happen to me last year
      • LLL15 do you remember how long after you received your refund?
      • about a month n half to two months after it got accepted
      • and do you know the purpose of it being under review? what do they check for? was it a error on my end?
      • the wages
      • I got it too.. they said they system are messing up and its going to take time to fix them
      • This is incorrect information from LLL15 is providing and shouldn't be listened to. That is a general message everyone is receiving because the system is down(probably from overload). If you were under review you would receive a letter or phone call explaining what the reason for that is and what documents need to be sent in. Triple L 15, did you just pull that answer out your ass or do you really believe thats what that means?
      • that  isn't a nice reply to say to someone if you want to answer something u can reoly without cussing.  most people don't have time for that
      • Collins i said from last year it happened to me [edited for profanity]
      • [edited]" first of all, [profanity] is one word and I don't really understand that phrase. Wasn't being an [profanity]I just hate to see incorrect information posted for people looking for correct answers. This is the problem with the internet, 75% or more of the information you read on the internet is false. Sad but true...
      • Im sorry Mr./Ms. in search of an angel 72, I understand most people "don't have time for that", but most people also don't have the time for inaccurate information. When they are doing a search, they are looking for information they can rely on, not something that is going to give them an anxiety attack like telling them they are under review when in fact they are just receiving a generic message that could mean 1000 different things. A correct answer would have been to contact the number provided and find out what the issue is straight from the source(irs)...feel me sha nae nae??
      • We are all adults and the name calling and cattiness is inappropriate and not necessary. We are here to help each other. My account was showing up that same reference 9001, until today. It changed back and gave me a disbursement date. The reference 9001 is an over load in the IRS system.. If you have any questions make sure you have time and call the 1 800 number! To make sure everything is ok. If you went through turbo tax, H&R block call them, you paid for their services get your money's worth.
      I logged on 5mins ago and got the same mssg! GRR
      • @mlangi08 - I logged in again shortly after I got this message and it had changed again and issued me a dd date of 2/5! I'm still not quite sure what it meant though!
      • I tried right now and says its unavailable
      • had the same code here, did you get ur refund today?
      • nope=(
      • I got this message around 7 am this morning. I just checked WMR (9:40am) and now I have a DD date of 2/8 !! I would wait and then try to log in again.
      • I had that message and I called they said I had to redo the taxes.
      • are you serious?? did you do your taxes yourself or did you go thru turbo tax or ect??
      I just got it too !!! 
      • I logged back in and it was gone but I am on the phone with them I will let you know what they say
      • They told me that the systems are messing up and its going to take some time to fix them
      • So did they still give you a deposit date or a time when it may be fixed?
      • I also was accepted on the 26th and everyone who had been accepted that day seemed to have a dd date of 2/5 however I haven't received any funds! I haven't been able to use the website,phone hotline, or phone app for like 5 days!
      • No they said that they are working on fixing it and didn't give me a date
      • well thanks for calling them and getting the word, I tried yesterday but after 35min of holding i hung up
      • I got that message but a few minutes later it returned to the orange bar pending status. I filed and was accepted on 2/1 but still have no dd... so frustrating.
      • How is that frustrating if you only filed on 2/1? Thats only 5 days lol they dd 90% of returns in 21 days the rest longer,so don't get your panties in a knot!
      • Because this is not how things have gone for me in the past and I didn't do anything different this time around. I have never had to wait 21 days for a dd or 5 days for a date.
      • yeah they had me on hold for about 20 mins....I did mine on the 26th of jan
      • Well not every year is going to go the same. The irs website is where I am getting my info, so I would say it's pretty reliable.
      • Not sure why you care but thanks for the great advice.
      • I have historically gotten my refund date within days and a direct deposit in 10 days or less. MYOB. Not sure how tough you have to be to try and bully people on a friggin turbotax forum, kudos to you tough guy.
      • How am I bullying you? Lol I simply let you know why you haven't seen a tax return after filing 2 days ago! [edited by social moderator]
      • I see tax topic 152 what does that mean? however it still says processing but the topic 152 is new on there
      • Wow, using the R word really put me in my place. What an outstanding human being you must be irl. I filed almost a week ago but it's okay, you can continue to throw around offensive language and feel superior to my "slow" self over something that has nothing to do with you at all.
      • i believe topic 152 is a generic message about the ways of obtaining your refund after it has been approved but mine popped up also on WMR when I checked a while ago, so im not sure what it means now that it is showing but I read more into it and let you know :)
      • Topic 152 is just general info on how you can chose to receive your refund and generally how long to expect to wait. I see the same thing on mine, only mine doesn't show as processing the page appears the same as the person who posted this question. Do you actually see the orange bar on yours Erica?
      • Yea the orange bar thats says processing
      • I just got the message with a code 9001. i called the IRS and they told me that my name wasn't submitted on one of my forms that HR block sent. And he said it could take additional time to process.
      I got this same message this morning, I called the IRS and gave them my reference number and I let the lady know that my tax return has been accepted on the 24th and it's been "in process" for about 2 weeks still. The lady just told me they have received my return and it is still in process and to keep checking the "where's my refund?" website. The lady also told me it takes about 2 weeks to process.....not sure why.
      • natalia,  I had the same issue if you read my post right above yours and I just now checked on IRS2GO app and it now says it was direct deposited!  so if you have the ability to install the app on your phone, that is the most up to date.
      • I have it on my phone :) Thank you Donna!! Maybe there is hope for me :)
      • 6 days message reference code 9001
      • What do you mean 6 days?
      • message reference code 9001 (with the same message for 6 days)
      • I got the same message and was told I had an IRS debt.
      • It must be different for everyone because the representative just told me to keep checking wmr.
      • Refund Status Results

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
        Tax Topic 152, Refund Information
        A copy of this page.
        A copy of your tax return.
        The Social Security Number, Filing Status, and refund amount claimed on your return.
        The date you mailed your return.
        IRS Hours of Service:
        Call:
        From outside the US call 267-941-1000.
        FOR 6 DAYS
      • Clear your cookies. Then retype IRS.gov in your browser. Don't click on any saved searches.
      • natalia, what did the IRS2GO app say?
      • When I do the app on my phone it doesn't even show anything compared to checking it on my computer :/
      • Refund Status Results

Tax Topic 152, Refund Information
        A copy of this page.
        A copy of your tax return.
        The date you mailed your return.
        IRS Hours of Service:
        Call:
        From outside the US call 267-941-1000.
        FOR 6 DAYS
      • I just called the IRS number and spoke to a Ms. Kramer who informed me that the money that I( received today on 2/6/13 is only a portion of the money that is in debate evidently it is about my child credit and perhaps the paperwork was submitted incorrectly by Turbo Tax. My question was would I receive the rest of my money she said that I will receive a letter by 2/18/13 stating exactly what will be needed as far as submission. I truly believe this is a farce created by the IRS to get everyone to wait for their money this year cause she said that I will have to wait for IRS to decide.. decide what? when all my information is true!!@!!@ and the same info I have used for the last 5 years..
      • Oh wow that is so messed up, I don't know why they give people such a hard time.

Similar questions other people found helpful: