if my 1099 Q form is a qualified withdrawl, do I not need to enter it anywhere?

• were do i enter 1099R
  • Where do I add it?
  • where do I enter the 1099-T
  • Do you mean 1099-Q? It's under Federal Taxes, Wages & Income, and then Miscellaneous Income topic way at the bottom of the Income Summary screen.
If the entire distribution was used for eligible education expenses, you can either:

Not enter the 1099-Q info under Income, AND also not enter the expenses that were paid with it in the educational expenses section.

OR

Enter both the 1099-Q info and the expenses. If the expenses were entered from a 1098-T already, you should enter the 1099-Q as well, to avoid accidentally claiming two tax benefits using the same expenses (a no-no).
  • Thanks for including both sides of the equation, linear. I cringe when people are told ONLY that they can ignore the 1099-q if used for qualified expenses.
  • I have the same question, and I DID include both the 1099-Q info AND the 1098-T income.  However, that caused a problem!  TT thinks that a portion of my distributions were not qualified and causes him to owe more taxes.    I guess this is because I withdrew money for my freshman's fall AND SPRING tuition in 2012.  The 1098-T only shows expenses from FALL semester (box 7 is blank).    Now what do I do?  Is this a TurboTax error?   I am inclined to eliminate all  college-related info.
  • Did you actually pay the college for spring 2013 in 2012? If the amount is not reflected on the 1098-T, don't use the 1098-T - answer that you did not receive one, and enter expenses based on your records.