This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.
TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

I have an education credit on my return. I submitted my return on Jan 29th, but it is still pending? Why is that?

• I Obtained this message from the IRS. GOV website regarding the 8863 Form...Taxpayers using this form can begin filing their tax returns in mid-February after the IRS updates its processing systems.

Form 8863 Education Credits
  • self empolyed have to wait too
  • Me also I filed on jan 29th and mine are also pending and processing
  • shay1572003    Thank you for the information you would think that they have 7 months out of the year to have this up and running before tax season hots. I ma sure if you have a student education credit as I do that you are financially struggling too.
  • I too had the 8883 form and I filed the 14th of Jan and was rejected the 26th for an incorrect pin #....I resubmitted it on the same day and I am still pending......I am thinking just maybe if I had put in the correct pin # in then just maybe I would have gotten accepted then I could be one of the ones to get it on Feb 11.........awwwwwwww am just frustrated!!!!!!
  • I agree
  • efile with another company while its pending, then file for it later
  • To Trstarkville, what pin are you talking about? I am still pending because of education credits and I dont remember putting in a pin number?
  • I DID MY ON THE 29TH I AM STILL PENDING I HAVE EDUCATION CREDITS AS WELL. THIS IS  MESS...... BUT THEY EXCEPTED  MY STATE TAXES WOW...
  • This is crazy, what could be the reason as to why they have a delay on the education credits?
  • THIS IS AN ARTICLE DIRECTLY OFF THE IRS' WEBSITE; PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE LAST PARAGRAPH. PASS THIS ALONG TO ANYONE ELSE WHO MAY ALSO BE IN YOUR SITUATION...
    IR-2013-14, Jan. 30, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today opened the 2013 filing season by announcing a variety of enhanced products and services to help taxpayers prepare and file their tax returns by the April 15 deadline.

New and expanded services for taxpayers this year include a redesigned IRS.gov web site that’s easier to navigate and improved service options, including more video-conferencing assistance sites and additional social media tools. In addition, the IRS has stepped up its enforcement efforts to protect taxpayers from refund fraud and identity theft.

The IRS began accepting and processing most individual tax returns today after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems to reflect the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA) that Congress enacted on Jan. 2. The vast majority of taxpayers can file now, but the IRS is continuing to update its systems for some tax filers. The IRS will begin accepting tax returns from people claiming education credits in mid-February while taxpayers claiming depreciation deductions, energy credits and many business credits will be able to file in late February or early March. A full list of the affected forms is available on IRS.gov.
  • I just went to IRS website and it gives list of forms available and it shows education credit is available. don't understand that????
     My state has been excepted, go figure.
  • I filed back on January 8 and since I have education credits mine is pending and my state is pending also.  So those of you filing Jan 29 are still behind people like me.  I am sure you can understand the frustration since I filed my taxes almost a MONTH ago and mine are still pending.  Shoot I was planning on taking a vacation in March and using some of the funds from my taxes and now I cannot even schedule that out since they are saying MAYBE mid-February!
  • Zoelina the pin I am referring to....you have to put in a 4 digit # or your adjusted gross income(AGI) off your W2 form this is info that only you would know....to show IRS that indeed it is you that is filing.........you put these # in after you have completed your e-filing and is then ready to submit to IRS from TT.....I hope this explains what I am referring too :)
  • Wow....that's a smack!!! You would think the irs would update their systems in the off seasons....what do they do from april 16th to jan 30th???
  • They were waiting for congress to get their crap together. The reason why IRS couldn't process any returns until the 30th is because they had to wait for congress to decide on certain tax issues before they could pass them onto us. We are continuing to wait because the IRS is still try to string together the pile that the government has left for all of us.
  • I filed on the 30th and mine is still in pending status, I do have education expenses but only have the 1098. I am not clear why it is taking so long... Can someone help? I have never had this problem before, and usually have my return within 7-14 days after I file. This is very frustrating!
  • So while its pending you can file with another company...
  • Yes refile with another and leave off the education credit. You can amend the education credits after you get your refund check.
  • I was thinking about doing the same thing. Just filing with someone else, but what will happen to turbotax afterwards. Will they see that I filed already and then still charge me??
  • Yeah, there's a reason. Thanks much, popular voters.
  • Turbo will be rejected once you're approved somewhere else. I know several people went to other online places like Tax act, H&R block online and has gotten accepted within minutes after efiled and has gotten refund dd dates..... Turbo can't charge because they haven't submitted those with education credits to IRS that's why the efile history says successful and not accepted
  • The reason for the delays is because the tax laws were signed on the 2nd of January. After the new tax laws were put in place the IRS had to create software to accept or reject your taxes that follow the tax law. They then have to test that software. This is not TurboTax's or the IRS's fault. If you want to complain to someone about not getting your return, write your representative.
  • @karensgifts... where on irs site do you see that.. i still see 8863 delayed til mid feb in their list of delayed forms
  • Yes!! I filed with another company and I was accepted immediately while Turbo Tax still have my status pending.
  • It's they're way to keep you with them until the IRS began accepting the ones with education credits... Hope this helps.... If it's showing pending over 48 hours then it's not sent over...... Once it's sent you will either get accepted or rejected if somethings wrong like a missing birth date or something.......
  • If TT still try and charge - dispute the payment because they haven't successfully completed the efile.. Hope this helps somebody........
  • And at TT it's difficult to speak to customer service. You be placed in hold so lonnnng
  • i waited 14 minutes on hold. spoke to rep.. looked up my file, went through her documentation, etc. was not able to find any info leading to believe 8863 is being accepted
  • So mine came back the first time rejected for the earned income form i sent that back. Know its pending for the education credit does this mean the already looked at the kids i'm claiming
  • authorshaquenna - Can I go efile somewhere else even if my state has been accepted through TT? Mine were both in pending, since Jan. 10th, then they were rejectedthe message said because they had been pending too long. The message instructed me to re-efile themJan. 28th. My state showed accepted as of 2/1 but my federal is still pending. What could happen if I try to file fed. elsewhere in this case?
  • I know several people who had the same issue and since they were still pending over 48 hours they refiled somewhere else like h&r block online or tax act and has been accepted immediately from the IRS. So once TT sends over their efile from previous it will reject. It's okay to refile because no tax place will send in the ones with certain credits including the education credits until mid Feb or March I was told...
  • Don't refile the State since it has already been accepted. Federal and State is not the same source... Hope this helps
  • Maybe they got accepted, but have they actually gotten a refund?
  • My concern is that last year with TT I had waited for 2 months after filing that I needed to send a copy of my 1098-T to irs. This delayed my refund that I  filed in January of 2011 and did not get my refund until early May. I was told that their systems have improved but I do not feel to comfortable with their answer. TT says my documents are pending. Irs says that they have not received anything. So which one is ?
  • Who did file with?
  • Well, you surely got a letter from the IRS asking for this information?  I certainly would not have waited two months.   If the IRS is saying they dont have it, then I would in this one scenario truly consider refiling.
  • I just did a live chat with TT here is a copy of the chat. I hope it helps.
    viki nicholas: I have a #### in my tax return my status is still pending. I have read many people who have the same form and have been accecpted already. Do you have any new updates on when IRS will be taking these forms?
    10_Eddierick C: Ok, you may or may not get accepted. The irs is saying mid-feb before they process any of these returns. So if you're accepted it will most likely sit until the irs starts processing it sometime in a couple weeks.
    viki nicholas: what do you mean I may or may not get accepted?
    10_Eddierick C: It may stay in pending untill mid February or it could get accepted and then still sit and wait for further processing in mid-feb. In either case the refund most likely won't be issued until toward the end of the month.
    10_Eddierick C: There's no determination at the moment as to why some returns with 8836's are getting accepted and why others are still pending.
    viki nicholas: So is it still possible to get the refund by the end of the month or should I look into march for it.
    10_Eddierick C: Yes, this year returns are coming back in 7-10 days in most cases.
    viki nicholas: when you say mid feb.is there an exact date?
    10_Eddierick C: No, the irs has only said mid-feb.
    viki nicholas: thank you for your help
  • I also did a live chat with TT and I am copy/pasting it. I seriously felt like a dog chasing my tale, once I waited in a long line to even chat with a TT rep.
    I wanted to try to remove form 8863 because of the issues with the education credit and then amend them later. I also asked about the option of going elsewhere to do my Federal Return and as you can read below, the TT Rep. I spoke with attempted to convince me that if I took this route then BOTH federal returns would be rejected and inevidably I would get stuck waiting even longer than I would if I just sit, wait, and do nothing. This is how I spent almost 3 hours of my day today.......
    Thanks for contacting TurboTax. Currently wait times are longer than we’d like. We might answer your question faster at turbotax.com/support where you’ll find helpful articles and answers to common questions. We look forward to chatting with you and will connect you with the next available agent.
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    You are currently at position number 214 in the queue.
    An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
    The next available Agent will be with you in a moment.
    You are currently at position number 185 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 173 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 165 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 148 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 137 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 125 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 110 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 100 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 87 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 72 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 50 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 35 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 23 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 11 in the queue.
    You have been connected to 10_Jameel P.
    10_Jameel P: Hi Heath, I’m here to help you today. Just give me a moment to read your question.
    10_Jameel P: Thank you for holding Heath. I understand that you need to know how to remove a form correct
    Heath Holland: yes please
    10_Jameel P: I will definitely do my best to help you with that. Before we get started, can you please confirm your email address for me?
    Heath Holland: ###########@yahoo.com
    10_Jameel P: Thank you. We will use your email address to document this conversation, as well as to send out a survey in about 24 hours to ensure that I have done everything in my power to resolve your issue today.
    10_Jameel P: Did you already file your return
    Heath Holland: I submitted but the federal shows pending and the state shows accepted. In the Turbo Tax community people are advising people whose taxes still show pending to go to another online tax sourse and file elsewhere, they say their taxes are getting accepted elsewhere.
    10_Jameel P: Unfortunately, you will have to wait until you return has been accepted or rejected in order to submit changes
    Heath Holland: ok well, I will follow the advice from the Turbo Tax community then and take my chances to see how this all works out. My state and federal were pending for awhile because I filed so early, then they were rejected because they were pending to long? Then turbo tax gave me a message to re-efile them on Jan. 29th and so I did. The state changed to accepted on 2/1/13 but the federal is still pending. Why is this happening?
    10_Jameel P: Please understand that the TurboTax Community is a forum of different people who are not necessarrily turbotax experts and if you should choose to file again it highly likely that both returns might get rejected and this will delay the process
    Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
    Network connection re-established.
    Heath Holland: Well there are people that were complaining about turbo tax showing their taxes as "pending" and then those people are re-posting comments to let your other customers know that they tried it and it worked, they were accepted within minutes is what I am reading all over your community page. They are making it seem that the problem is Turbo Tax and not IRS.
    Heath Holland: So is it an IRS issue or a Turbo Tax issue?
    10_Jameel P: Once your return has been E-filed TurboTax has no control over the E-file process and how long it takes to get accepted. This process is strictly through the IRS.
    10_Jameel P: Returns are processed in the order they are received
    Heath Holland: ok well it is my understanding that there are certain forms that the IRS is not currently accepting and they won't be accepting returns with those forms until mid Feb-beginning of Mar. Is that correct?
    10_Jameel P: Yes there are some forms they won't be ready, it varies depending on the forms that you need. Form availability also has something to do with the IRS
    Heath Holland: Why is it that I had to get that information from H&R Block? Why didn't (isn't) Turbo Tax informing their customers of this Much Needed Information???
    10_Jameel P: Can you tell me how long have you been a turbotax customer
    Heath Holland: Just out of curiosity, what would that have to do with my current issues?
    10_Jameel P: The reason I asked this question was mainly due to the trouble you have experience and If there was any charges associated with your return through turbo I wanted to see if we could possibly get you a refund
    Heath Holland: I see. I have filed through Turbo Tax before, I know I did last year and before that but to be honest I am not sure how many times I have used Turbo Tax services.
    10_Jameel P: Well I am very sorry for the inconvenience, I was looking into your account and I believe that you prepared with the free version correct
    Heath Holland: No, there was a fee accociated with this return! I have the confirmation, where it states that they will be taking the fees out of my federal tax return.
    10_Jameel P: One moment
    10_Jameel P: please
    10_Jameel P: can i please have your zipcode
    Heath Holland: ####4
    10_Jameel P: ok thank you
    Heath Holland: ####4
    Heath Holland: $96.97 is the total amount of fees being deducted from my current return by Turbo Tax
    10_Jameel P: how did you choose to pay for this cost
    Heath Holland: directly out of my federal tax return
    10_Jameel P: I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I had not realized that you chose this option which prevents me from giving you the refund at this time, but since I offered you the refund and want to make good on my promise. What I can do is give you your case number and once your return has been processed and the fees have been collected. Call back with the case number and they should be able to issue the refund 24-48 hours after the fees have been collected.
    10_Jameel P: Would that be ok
    Heath Holland: yes. But let me ask one more question please. If my return shows "pending" does that mean that the IRS has not even looked at my return yet and they won't actual being reviewing my return until it shows "accepted?"
    10_Jameel P: Correct
    Heath Holland: I just wanted to be sure that I was understanding all of this correctly!
    10_Jameel P: yes when it has been accepted you can begin to check on your refund 24-48 hours after that
    10_Jameel P: I'm going to give you the case number one moment please
    10_Jameel P: ########6
    10_Jameel P: Keep this case number for your records and when the fees have been colllected call back and give them the case number and you should have no problem with the refund.
    Heath Holland: Ok well I appreciate your efforts. Just so that I am sure and so that I feel ok with everything, after our chat ends, I am going to call and speak to a preparer from another tax office and explain everything to them and get their opinion. I want to be sure that all avenues have been taken and all of the action that has been taken is correct and to set my mind at ease, I need to be sure that I am getting the best refund and in the shortest amount
    Network connection re-established.
    Network connection re-established.
    10_Jameel P: I completely understand and you have every right to do so, I wish you the best and would you say that I have resolved all your questions and concerns today?
    10_Jameel P: Heath, are you still there? I want to help you, but I haven’t heard back from you. I’ll stay on a couple more minutes before I end our chat to help other customers.
    Heath Holland: Alright, to put it as nicely as I can and to give credit where it's do. You did make an honest effort to resolve my issues today; however, I do not feel as if there is resolution at this point. I still do not understand fully why my taxes went from pending to rejected, then to pending for both, and now one is accepted and one is pending. I also have no clear idea of how long it might possibly take for my federal return to even show "accepted."
    10_Jameel P: so was the federal or the state rejected
    10_Jameel P: If you would like I can go in to see what the status is on our end as well
    Heath Holland: they were both filed in the beginning of Jan. and then I recieved an email and text, stating that the "state" return was rejected because the federal was rejected. When I got to Turbo Tax web site, it prompted me to re-efile
    10_Jameel P: Ok one moment please
    Heath Holland: which I did and then both returns were showing "pending" as of Jan. 29th. On Feb. 1st the state began showing "accepted" but the federal still showed (shows) "pending
    10_Jameel P: ok one moment pleaswe
    10_Jameel P: please
    10_Jameel P: Ok I see what the problem was, did you have to correct the errors on your federal return and resubmit
    10_Jameel P: ?
    Heath Holland: no, only re-submitt.
    10_Jameel P: Ok well usually when your federal is rejected it tells you why, and all you would need to do is correct the errors and resubmit, and when the state got rejeceted it was due to the federal being rejected
    Network connection re-established.
    Heath Holland: Federal showed that it had been in "pending" too long
    10_Jameel P: When I looked at why your federal was rejected it said that it was due to errors on your federal return, and advised to fix errors and resubmit.
    Heath Holland: Wow!! This is a crazy mess!!
    Heath Holland: I can send you copies of the messages that I recieved
    10_Jameel P: ok sure
    10_Jameel P: I'm just trying to make sure we have a solid answer to this issue
    Heath Holland: I think it would be in my best interest if I print off everything; State return, Federal return, each messages sent to me by Turbo Tax, everything, and take it to where my wife normally gets her taxes done and find out what their advise is as to how to resolve this and how to get my refunds owed to me. This is the first year that tax time has turned into a complete nightmare for me! :(
    10_Jameel P: usually when you log back into the software it usually lets you know where the errors occurred
    Heath Holland: I followed EVERY prompt!!!!!!! Turbo Tax message I recieved stated there were no errors!
    10_Jameel P: I'm very sorry that you have had to experience complications with your return, the best thinig to do regarding federal is to wait until your status changes and then see where to go from there everything might be ok if you followed the prompts, and corrected whatever errors you received. I don't want to worry you I was just more less saying that anytime your state is rejected it is because of the federal. So if you get a rejection on your return there are usually some errors on the return
    10_Jameel P: I'm hoping everything is ok at this point and that your federal return will be accepted with no propblems
    10_Jameel P: and remember to keep the case number I gave you just in case you have problems in the near future
    Heath Holland: I feel I have no choice now but to go to another tax preparer for answers, advise, and help. I think this will be the last year that I use Turbo Tax services and I intend to share my experience in the Turbo Tax community, on Facebook, and with all of my family and friends. This is usually my happiest time of the year and now I feel as if I am trapped in a nightmare that I can't wake up from.
    10_Jameel P: I am so sorry for the inconveneince and wish you the best, are there any other questions I can assist you with
    Heath Holland: Not unless you are hiding a magic wond and you can wave it around and fix this mess!!!
    Heath Holland: I am angry that you are telling me that there was an error on my federal return and yet Turbo Tax didnt inform me prior to now!!!!
    10_Jameel P: When you received the rejection on your federal the first time did go back through the software
    10_Jameel P: before you submitted your return, because usually the errors in the return will show up
    Heath Holland: I followed the prompts given on the Turbo Tax site
    10_Jameel P: TurboTax usually gives some sort of notice as to where the error happened, but I would just wait until you get notice on the status before deciding on what to do.
    10_Jameel P: It is possible that you may have correct the error, without me seeing the actual return it is hard to know if the return has been corrected and is free of errors.
    Heath Holland: so youtr adivsing me to just sit and wait longer, even though you have stated that the rejection was do to some error that I was NOT notified of so ultimately if what Your saying is correct then my federal will get rejected again and then once AGAIN I will have to start this whole aggrivating process all over again and then be stuck waiting even longer to recieve my refund??? Is that your advise??
    Heath Holland: Just wanting clarification as to what Turbo Tax is expecting from their customers.  
    10_Jameel P: No what I am saying is your entitled to seek other professional advise if you chose to do so. I'm saying that the status is still pending and in order to do anything as far as your federal return is concerned you will have to wait until it has been accepted or rejected.
    Heath Holland: That is not entirely correct. Many of your other customers are just moving their federal returns to other tax sourses and are being accepted in minutes, while Turbo Tax still shows their federal is "pending." I have given 2 different customers my contact information and they told me that by doing things in this mannor, the only refund that will get rejected because of these action will be the Federal Return through Turbo Tax because it will have
    Heath Holland: filed and accepted through another tax place  
    10_Jameel P: Did you have any other questions or concerns I can help you with today?
    Network connection re-established.
    Heath Holland: I suppose not but I want to advise you of something; I have copied every single word of this conversation into a word document because I intend to share with everyone and anyone, how long it takes to even be able to ask a question or get help and how Turbo Tax resolves issues/leaves customers with no real answers at all. I feel as if I have been chasing my tale this entire conversation and that I will be leaving the conversation without any
    Heath Holland: satisfaction...  
    Network connection re-established.
    10_Jameel P: I do apologize for the inconvenience, but once the return has been e-filed it is no longer in the hands of TurboTax and it is strictly up to the IRS after the E-file process on when on how they process the return.
    10_Jameel P: I wish there was more that I can do, but I do hope that everything works out for you. Did you have any other questions or concerns I can help you with today?
    Heath Holland: Turbo Tax isn't informing customers of certain things they should be, i.e. forms that are being held and they certainly didn't inform me of the "errors" you spoke about so to me this is a messed caused by lack of information from Turbo Tax to its customers. This should be checked into and corrected because I am not the only customer Turbo Tax stands to lose from all of this and if Turbo Tax "Cared" about their customers and their issues, your
    Heath Holland: company would have already realized this because it is all over Turbo Tax Community...
    Heath Holland: I realize this is not your fault directly, your meerly an employee who has no say in anything; which is why I am trying hard not to verbally take my frusteration out on you.  
    10_Jameel P: I understand completely but as long as you keep that case number I gave you; you should be able to get a refund and once again I'm sorry
    10_Jameel P: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    Heath Holland: ok have a pleasant day. Follow this entire conversation along with other proof on Turbo Tax community because I'll be heading there next, to share all of my experience.  
    10_Jameel P: Have a great day
  • Mine is the same way, what the heck. Us poor working people and students need our return
  • OMG...that whole conversation is funny....except maybe not.  I refiled with H & R Block and was accepted in und
    er 2 hrs.  I left off the education credit and will amend later.  At least I will get some of my return back sooner rather than later.  Extra work for them but if they would have had their sh*t together we wouldn't be here bitching about what morons we have elected to lead us.  GAWD!!!
  • did you have education credits?
  • Yes I do
  • I will not be using H&R Block for any reason. Last year to prove my mother in law wrong I took both programs and put all our information in them and Turbo Tax gave a greater refund than H&R block. So I think I will wait it out.
  • So has anyone who actually re-filed with taxact or h&r block have a deposit date yet???Mine still says I'm lined up for processing but my state was accepted.
  • Have not seen anyone actually get a refund from doing multiple filings, but have seen a few that got rejected for repeated filings with same SS#
  • When I refiled with H&R Block, my refund was $180 more than what TurboTax was getting me even AFTER I took off the education credit.  I've used TurboTax for 10 years...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
  • I just ran ours through the H/R program to see, and you must have entered something different than you did before, as ours came out the same for federal, but state shows us getting $220 more.  So we will be ammending the state.
  • IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING!  there are many of us in this situation
  • How is that, really?  This is the first year they did away with the old system entirely and now are processing faster. Truly with only 3 business days since actually opening to filing, I think many of us are being very impatient.
  • Can I go and remove the credit and resubmit
  • KarenElaine, I'm in almost the same situation as you.  I filed a month ago also, except my state has been excepted.  I'm not planning a vacation but I am in serious need of my refund.
  • The only problem with going somewhere else and filing then amending later is that it can take 8-10 weeks to get your money after they receive your form then process them.
  • This is ridiculous...not only all that time on the phone but posting the conversation.  This is not TT''s fault and it is not hard to understand why returns from the second filing get accepted and the one with the 8863 with TT remains pending. It is pending because outside the returns accepted early with the 8863 (which alerted there was an issue) no other returns with this form are being accepted just yet so they remain filed but pending acceptance.  The second return with another service gets accepted because it does not have the 8863 which is the cause for the long pending status awaiting IRS acceptance of additional return with this form.  I felt bad for the agent who is really not responsible for this issue and tried to offer assistance...including a refund. It's unfair to blame TT and I am sure no returns from any service are being accepted with this form at this time.  I was one who got accepted early and have yes it's frustrating but what can I do.
  • What if I receive my refund then amend? Wont it be like receiving extra money? And maybe I should enter the info in another website, and see if its that important to amend anyway...
  • Nothing unfair about it. TurboTax knew of the issue and failed to inform and is still not informing customers until after filing with them.   There were however several that filed earlier with TT and TT transmitted them on the 24-25th and they were received and are now processing. These were part of the test the IRS does and is when the error was found.    Filing again, will highly likely cause more grief and cause you to wait 8-12 weeks on a refund , whereas now you could wait 2 weeks and get you refund with the filing you already have in place
  • IRS to Start Processing Delayed Returns on Feb. 14; Most People Unaffected and Can File Now
    IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011
    WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service plans a Feb. 14 start date for processing tax returns delayed by last month’s tax law changes. The IRS reminded taxpayers affected by the delay they can begin preparing their tax returns immediately because many software providers are ready now to accept these returns.
    Beginning Feb. 14, the IRS will start processing both paper and e-filed returns claiming itemized deductions on Schedule A, the higher education tuition and fees deduction on Form 8917 and the educator expenses deduction. Based on filings last year, about nine million tax returns claimed any of these deductions on returns received by the IRS before Feb. 14.
    People using e-file for these delayed forms can get a head start because many major software providers have announced they will accept these impacted returns immediately. The software providers will hold onto the returns and then electronically submit them after the IRS systems open on Feb. 14 for the delayed forms.
    Taxpayers using commercial software can check with their providers for specific instructions. Those who use a paid tax preparer should check with their preparer, who also may be holding returns until the updates are complete.
    Most other returns, including those claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), education tax credits, child tax credit and other popular tax breaks, can be filed as normal, immediately.
    The IRS needed the extra time to update its systems to accommodate the tax law changes without disrupting other operations tied to the filing season. The delay followed the Dec. 17 enactment of the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, which extended a number of expiring provisions including the state and local sales tax deduction, higher education tuition and fees deduction and educator expenses deduction.
  • Umm that post had nothing to do with 8863???   The main complaint now with current filers
  • Here is the IRS Notice that includes form 8863...

IRS To Accept Returns Claiming Education Credits by Mid-February
    IR-2013-10, Jan. 28, 2013
    WASHINGTON — As preparations continue for the Jan. 30 opening of the 2013 filing season for most taxpayers, the Internal Revenue Service announced today that processing of tax returns claiming education credits will begin by the middle of February.
    Taxpayers using Form 8863, Education Credits, can begin filing their tax returns after the IRS updates its processing systems. Form 8863 is used to claim two higher education credits -- the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.
    The IRS emphasized that the delayed start will have no impact on taxpayers claiming other education-related tax benefits, such as the tuition and fees deduction and the student loan interest deduction. People otherwise able to file and claiming these benefits can start filing Jan. 30.
    As it does every year, the IRS reviews and tests its systems in advance of the opening of the tax season to protect taxpayers from processing errors and refund delays. The IRS discovered during testing that programming modifications are needed to accurately process Form 8863.  Filers who are otherwise able to file but use the Form 8863 will be able to file by mid-February. No action needs to be taken by the taxpayer or their tax professional.  Typically through the mid-February period, about 3 million tax returns include Form 8863, less than a quarter of those filed during the year.
    The IRS remains on track to open the tax season on Jan. 30 for most taxpayers. The Jan. 30 opening includes people claiming the student loan interest deduction on the Form 1040 series or the higher education tuition or fees on Form 8917, Tuition and Fees Deduction. Forms that will be able to be filed later are listed on IRS.gov.
    Updated information will be posted on IRS.gov.
  • The first one was dated 2011
  • no not until its denied.
  • I don't recommend you do that. I guess we just need to be patient now :/
  • So I received a error message//text also, then was notified by TT that it was their mistake there was no errors and resubmit. My state was excepted in like 2 days on the 31st. My federal is still pendng the only form I have a 1098 form. I don't understand what the problem is. How does it work to go somewhere else an file without my education credit, and if I take it off and amend later do I get that credit after I amend it?
  • So you say this worked for you? And how do I amend it later, this meaning that I would get the money for the credit at a  later time
    ..
  • I was told that doing this could create more problems with your return. I wouldn't chance that..
  • i am in the same situation. I filed with turbo tax on jan 27th. I got the american opportunity credit on the education credits, the form i got from my college was a 1098-T. My federal is still pending, and state is rejected. Turbo tax said state was rejected because of the irs doing their test run. So my question is can i go file somewhere else? I am really needing my refund as soon as possible as our furnace is not working right. I filed my cousins return last week and she is getting hers back this thursday(she didnt have any educational credits). PLEASE HELP!! What should i do, i dont want to mess it up anymore than it already is!!
  • I do not beleive the TT rep.  I went Sat morning at 10:30 to another tax site, filed my Fed. without education credit and was accepted by the IRS in less that 45 min.  Already have a DD date this morning.
  • I filed my taxes with turbo tax on jan 17, 2013 my refund was pending for both state and federal because of the education credit so i refiled with tax act and removed the education credit now my federal was immediately accepted last night feb4 but my state refund was accepted through turbo tax this morning so now what do I do?
  • The answers to the educational credit is that the IRS does not have the software in place and will not until mid-February or March.This will cause a delay i receiving your ta returns. I have spoken to several different places such as HR Block and other tax agencies and they have told me the same thing. To confirm I spoke with IRS themselves and they concurred that this is the issue and there is nothing that we can do about it.
  • d
  • Wow! I know that is frustrating! I am frustrated! I'm having the same problem. My state and federal say pending! I've used TT for years and this is the first negative experience I've had with them.  If my information is still pending, why did they charge me the fee's?  It seems to me TT would charge fee's AFTER the returns have been accepted by the IRS! Something just doesn't sound right and I want a refund for my fee's of $68.96!
  • did you try this and did it work.  Were you given a date when you will recieve your return?
  • @karenelaine, I filled on Jan 10th so I'm in the same boat waiting for the whole system to get their heads out of the behinds. education is holding me back from getting mine. wow who would have thunk lol Good luck to all!
  • rochelletg.....Try what? No I was not given a date on when I will receive my taxes, but is says pending and mid February is when they will begin accepting taxes with education credit.
  • I am on the same boat. I received an email that my return is on hold because I have and education credit on my return.  once I filed my return it said the latest I would get my refund would be the beginning of march. If its on hold does it mean its going to take longer for them to process my return? this is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I helped my friend enter her information on turbo tax and she was to get a education credit at the end of entering all her information it poped up and said due to her having an education credit she couldnt file until feb.15 so i dont understand how it didnt pop up for anyone else. I have both my fed and state saying accepted on TT but on irs.gov it sayds pending so is it accepted and if not why does TT say its accepted but irs says its pending what does that mean?
  • Yes they can charge. They charged me when i filed my daughters return $27.99. I filed her return on Saturday and her returns both federal and state still say pending. The $27.99 has already cleared by bank account.
  • I went through the whole process the end of Janaury and when my taxes were transmitted, then a message popped up telling me about the delay.  The alert should have popped up before I transmitted, as I would have filed without the Education Credit and amended at a later date.  However, TT, didn't tell me until after I trasmitted and my debit card was already charged.  I have used TT for over 10 years and I still will use them, hopefully, the next time something like this occurs a pop up will happen prior to transmittal and payment.  I am also hoping that the IRS extends the last day to file date, as some people will be delayed a month or more and it is not fair to cut their filing time short due to a governemnt error.  As we all know when taxpayers owe the government they want their money yesterday, anxious to see how this will be rectified.
  • The IRS has only known what would happen with the education credit (and others) since Jan 1 when Congress signed off on the "fiscal cliff" bill.  The held up items were in negotiations until that bill was passed. IRS needs to set up forms and do testing. If someone needs to be blamed, blame Congress. I do.
  • my state was accepted this morning too, how long does it take?
  • turbo tax never told me anything I too  filed for the education credit but had I been told I would have just done an amend nut now I have to wait and I still don't know how long
  • Turbo tax already debited my credit card and my refund is still pending.
  • Gorman_st_girl27.... How did you get that? Turbo tax outsources funding to sbbt.
  • It's actually a 5 digit pin number. Maybe that's where your problem lies.
  • state was rejected
  • How they accept your state if the federal is pending?  My federal is pending and my state was rejected. I got a message from Turbo tax saying it was a mistake on there in. And when I called she said I was fine. They were accepting education credit in the middle of February. I just howpe I get mines before the first cause I'm trying right move.
  • Yes, your right the IRS said that the 8863/Education credit form is not out yet, so filing somewhere else and then amending would be the best bet, and NO Turbo can't get paid because it was not processed, it seems to me they should know this,  but my state was approved today!!, you need to call Turbo back because there complete idiots
    Good luck
  • I was notified the forms were ready now on the first at midnight. So I have been checking back but, I can't find a phone number.. Am I blind? What the heck? It says right in the second email I got "Your forms are ready". Whats going on geez.
  • So why was I notified the forms were ready?
  • Same here I am going on a cruise on March 17th and was counting on my refund for spending money. Government has no problem taking your money but you have to wait and wait for them to return it.
  • Same here. Leaving port 3/31.. Sure would be nice to have my money by then
  • This is the worst!!!!!! I have never had problems with TT, except this year. Just spoke with IRS who said she is concerned that I filed in Jan and mine still shows pending. This is ridiculous and we should be refunded. Im not happy about this and surely TT will blame it on the IRS.
  • I work for the IRS. DO NOT file again it will just get rejected. The IRS will begin processing returns with the education credit on it in mid February. Yes it sucks. I am also still in pending status since mid January because I claimed the education credit.
  • Mjamtam4, so can you tell us if the IRS asked Turbo Tax to not submit or transmit our returns or is this a decision Turbo Tax made?
  • Just syick a fork in me I AM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yes, irs would be on here calling people jackasses!! Get real
  • Wouldn't have done you any good - I sent mine in on Jan 10th and it's still pending not accepted.
  • what is TT?
  • Turbo Tax
  • They charged me....and I'm still pending
  • THAT'S BS.....those of us who need our return the most are having to wait!
  • I'm in this same situation
  • isnt that the truth!!!!!! the people that are on the verge of being evicted and no money for food to eat are the ones being screwed over!!!!! I filed on the 18th.... still pending hasnt even been sent!!!! i tried calling turbo tax and it was harder getting through to them than the IRS!!! and when i finally did.... Indian Man who talked like he had no tongue...... NO HELP!!!!! I WILL NEVER USE TURBO TAX AGAIN I HAVE BEEN USEING THEM FOR YEARS. WELL NO MORE !!!!!!!!
  • I'm one of those @health2heal.  My being ability to pay the bills I owe runs out after this month.  I have a small business, education credits, a full time job and a pile of medical debt after a tough year with my family.  Not sure how to pay rent now or even afford food.  I needed my refund bad, but because Congress takes their own sweet time getting ANYTHING done my already screwed family just got the last nail in our coffin.  And what can we do?  Nothing... nothing at all.  I don't blame TurboTax... I blame our lam@ss elected officials and their non stop party bickering.
  • TT states they do not hold returns and IRS states they have no record of returns. To be clear for my personal case TT stated efile was successful, and speaking with the irs they have no record of it and do not have ques for returns . They advise me to contact TT and they advise me its the irs. per TT website here is what they publish in regards to the form 8863

"Can I still File?
    Yes!!!  TurboTax is up to date with all the latest tax law changes, including changes to the American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit, so you can be confident that you are getting every deduction and credit you deserve on your tax return.  We recommend that you file now with TurboTax, so you will be at the front of the line for your refund when the IRS begins to process these returns. Returns will be submitted on a first in, first out basis.  For the fastest refund possible, make sure you e-file and select direct deposit."
  • ok thank you i been wonder what was problem
  • @marcy.murphy This isn't because of the IRS. This is thanks to our government playing chicken with the fiscal cliff. So everyone on here ranting and raving about the IRS need to double check the facts. Had our GOVERNMENT done their jobs NOBODY would be in this mess right now.
  • have a question. on my TT it saids accepted and i have the education credit too. so i can not file somewhere else ense tt said  accepted right..
  • Because the edu credits are a bit bigger lol. They are already in debt gazillions of $, I'm guessing
  • self employment is going through there's no wait for that
  • i filed my return on january 29 and my state got accepted on the Feb 4 before my federal when will i get my state back
  • They excepted my state as well but my federal is still pending does this mean we have to wait for the federal to get approved before we get the state even tho it was excepted?
  • i was wondering the same thing?????????????
  • My federal has been accepted, but still processing due to the education credit, My GA state was accepted last week and I got it in my bank account yesterday.
  • I filed on 1/31, my fed return w/ ed credit is still pending, my CA state return is due in my bank acct tomorrow...Wondering if anyone with a ed credit has received an "acceptance" status from the fed...
  • I was approved early by irs with edu credit form 8863.. No DD til form accepted though
  • I am having the same issue and I am not sure why. TT says that is should be rejected or accepted within 48 hours. I filed on the 25th. Some others who have education credits have already been accepted. What does this mean?
  • can I do that without getting in trouble
  • Means that you are in a queue until form accepted.. They are not accepting anymore until its fixed, they just sit there and wait
  • Word from someone that chatted with TT today said the fed is going to start accepting the returns with ed credit on 2/7
  • I filed my Fed and state taxes on 01/27/2013. Both are still pending. I just contacted the State of Mississippi, wondering if my Federal was pending if that affected my state refund. They said no, and to refile my state taxes since they have been pending for so long and it has nothing to do with my Federal Taxes being behind. Now, just wonder if Turbo Tax is still going to charge me for doing my State refund?
  • I really hope that date is correct!!!!!
  • Audit and take your money
  • i was planning to do the same thing this wait is awful
  • Your not supposed to say the "AUDIT" word
  • Thank YOU!
  • when i talk to someone  Tuesday from TT they said i should i get mine money the 11th of Febuary and i filed a school credit on mine.. I dont know how true it is or if they said that to shut me up lol.. but lets see what happens.  but on IRS site still  processing
  • The "pin number" they are referring to is the one you entered on the IRS website when filling out your FASFA for this past academic year. It links your last years tax information to your financial aid.
  • Well said!
  • srry
  • Article is from 2011
  • this is true. i did h&R and it gave me at least $1500 LESS than turbo tax. i'll stick with TT
  • Although many of you are correct that it isn't TT fault directly for these delays, it is an IRS issue. I do fault TT for the lack of shared information, as do many others, I'm sure. They had the information, unless they are willing to conceed that H&R Block is more informed than they are. H&R Block is and has been warning customers IN ADVANCE of filing taxes, what the problems are, where the delays are, and giving them their options as to how to proceed in order to either avoid the longer wait  do a possible "amend" later or to file and just wait it out. This is where I feel that TT FAILED on a huge scale!!!!I actually know someone who did this "re-filing" and they got their money deposited YESTERDAY!! The H&R Block rep. told them that the IRS would just reject TT tax forms when they FINALLY attempt to submit them. Good Luck to all! CRAZIEST TAX SEASON EVER!!
  • Shay1572003, so you filed with turbotax and are in "pending" and you filed with someone else, and got excepted right away? did you have to claim your education credit again? or are you not allowed to do that once you claimed it with turbo tax?
  • I fully agree, information is what we needed to make informed decisions.
  • The fiscal cliff deals are what is holding our taxes up.  They waited until the last possible minute and now we have to wait even longer.  I also have the education credit.
  • This is irs fault. They should have been prepared that edu credits would be extended, that is all congress did with it. No changes to it
  • No if you file with another company or let alone another return you will be flagged because of your ss#.. i do not suggest anyone do this
  • Thank you. Glad to know we are not the only one's wondering.

I just spoke with a friend. Her husband is a full time student, No income other than student loans, and she has her own photography business. They e filed on the 31st, and received their return on Feb. 5. I don't understand neither does she because they received the message that they wouldn't process till March because of the Education. They even used TT.
  • well I filed on the 24th and when I check "where's my refund?" it's saying "no info is available about your return"...yes I have education credits on mine..so mad I could scream right now!
  • I worked my ass off in school and now I'm paying back my student loans and now I'm being punished because The fucked up government doesn't have the money to pay out all the money at the same time, so they have to make up  excuse, like there processing system isn't  ready for education credits yet! Are you kidding me? Its more like the federal government has acquired such a deficient, they are all scattering around looking for money to pay us.     Its not fair and its totally fucked up!
  • get em alvindutruch , DAMN GOVERNMENT   !
  • Thank you for looking that up. I've been wondering what happened but now I know. :)
  • cocoacoca Thought I was the only one feeling like this....I heard that they will be accepting education credit on the 15th and I filed on the 26h. tt should have informed us of the changes. Every year its something different with these taxes.
  • I have never had a problem with the education credits until this tax season  they accepted my state tax and approved it they are supposed to be processing education credit returns on the 15th of February 2013.  Thats what the IRS told me when I called them and that is the date that Turbo Tax has in their records about the education credit we pay a lot of money to have our returns done electronically I hope maybe Turbo Tax will give some kind of discount to us for having to wait longer than usual.
  • What is the February 11 the date?
  • I never got a specific date from them it just said that it was going to be delayed. Explanation, the end as far as additional assistance would provide. Imean ,of course! The sale was over. Brava TT. Bra-va!
  • Thank you.  This is ridiculous.  I guess there is nothing we can do.
  • Like Share Print
    IRS To Accept Tax Returns with Education Credits, Depreciation Next Week

IR-2013-18, Feb. 8, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service announced today that taxpayers will be able to start filing two major tax forms next week covering education credits and depreciation.

Starting Sunday, Feb. 10, the IRS will start processing tax returns that contain Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization. And on Thursday, Feb. 14, the IRS plans to start processing Form 8863, Education Credits.

This step clears the way for almost all taxpayers to start filing their tax returns for 2012. These forms affected the largest groups of taxpayers who weren’t able to file following the Jan. 30 opening of the 2013 tax season.

The IRS will be able to accept the education credits and depreciation forms following the completion of reprogramming and testing of its systems.  Work continues on preparing IRS systems to accept the remaining tax forms affected by the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA) enacted by Congress on Jan. 2.

The IRS also announced today it will start accepting the remaining forms affected by the January legislation the first week of March.  A specific date will be announced later. Most of those in this group file more complex tax returns and typically file closer to the deadline or obtain an extension. A full list of the forms that will be accepted the first week of March is available on IRS.gov.

Next week’s opening covers two groups of taxpayers using:

Form 8863, Education Credits. Form 8863 is used to claim two higher education credits -- the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.
        Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization. Most of the people using the depreciation form tend to file later in the tax season or obtain a six-month extension. Non-1040 business filers using Form 4562 can also file starting Sunday.

For taxpayers using e-file, most software companies are now accepting tax returns with these two forms and will submit them after the IRS begins accepting them next week.

More information is available on this website.
  • If you did not have a pin you had to use, it is likely you used turbo tax last year and had it autofill your information. This means they already had your pin or AIG number and you did not have to put it in to efile. You do not have to worry that you have the wrong number since it is pulled from your last year's filing, at least you don't have to worry unless there was an issue with your last year's taxes that may have effected your AIG amount.
  • I agree with you, I have been using Turbo Tax for years and the last three years I have had problems.  I do understand that things happen, but two years in a row, not acceptable.  Turbo Tax does give me more money and that is wonderful, but when my friend filed on Saturday she already has her money and I filed on the 22nd of July, my State is accepted, but I have not received  my money and like most of these comments my federal has been in pending and I need my money.  I work hard all year long, I am a tax payer and when the government wants their money they sure can take it real quick, but we as citizen when we want our money we have to wait, I do not think it's fair.
  • Hey there.  I filed my federal on the 31st of January and my State on the 1st of February.  My state has been excepted, but my federal is still pending.  We received a message on today from turbo tax that they will forward my federal return on the 14th of February because of this 8863 or education credits we have.  This is one big mess that seems to get worse and worse each year.  I know people who filed with HR block and Liberty Tax and they have already received their money.  Like in last week.  I probably will go those routes next year
  • Not with 8863 they haven't. I've spoke to about 7-8 irs reps and supervisors.. None with education credits requiring that form have been processed
  • It is a pain I do agree. But the only thing I blame TT on is poor communication with customers. The rest is solely the fault of the irs. Hopefully we all get fast process from here though. GL
  • OMG!  That is crazy.  Did this really happen?
  • I was told my State was accepted.  After all of the conversation, when exactly should I hear anything about my Federal?  I was told by Turbo Tax that I would get my refund around March 1.  Shall I be concerned?
  • We should all know more info within 7 days or so.. Supposedly when this new system starts processing 8863 returns. It's extremely fast and can have money in hand within a few days. We'll see
  • That's what irs says at least
  • My state return got rejected because when I signed I put 2012 agi and not 2011 does this mean my federal return is going to be rejecte as we'll? I fixed the error and refilled my state and it was accepted
  • The IRS will accept  Federals with student credit on Feb 14..... >:( TT should have warned us about this and not waited until its been submitted to do so I been with TT for 10 years this is a big disappointment. I'm aware its not in their control but I should have been given the option to do education credit later. Has anyone received their refund in there account yet? For non education credits in it?
  • I have the same thing going on that you do. They accepted my state but my federal is still pending.
  • Brandon,
             I have the same issues that you have. Apparently the IRS was not set up to process education credits January 30th, so if you filled an education we have to wait. I do have some good news. I received an email. I copy and pasted it for you so you could read it. It pertains to all who filled education credits.
  • Your Tax Return Status: Returns Sent Important Update About Your Federal Tax Return Good news! The IRS will start to process returns like yours soon.
    We will send your return to the IRS on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013. This is the date they will begin processing returns like yours that contain Education Credits, Form 8863.

Next step:
    We'll send you a message as soon your return(s) are accepted or rejected by the IRS.

Read the IRS statement

We recommend keeping copies of all status emails for your records.

Thanks for using TurboTax!
  • Ldm213,
       I don't know of any body who has received there taxes yet, but my dad who filled on Turbo Tax and is scheduled to receive his on Feb 13. Per the IRS Where is my refund web site, But he did not have an education credit though.
    Alvin
  • Ldm213,
    Alvin
  • You have to have a pin to e-file. If you have e-filed in the past then their can be a pin generated for you.  You can nor e-file without it so if you are in pending status then you used a pin.  Also, it is not TT's fault. The government has been talking about the Education Tax Credit and that they will start processing those in mid Feb early March, the exact date is \Feb 14.  Some of you need to stay in tune. LOL No hard feelings. Stay up on current events!
  • its funny the gov. keeps us up on wen they gonna take our money but can are less bout puttin out the word ahead of time to warn us!  and when did the gov say this?
    its hard feelings cause im broke and u got ppl stealing other ppl info and students have to wait!?
  • The Govt stated this late last year. No it is not funny that they are going to take your money because they are not going to be taking mine. If  you are broke taxes is not something that you should be waiting on.  No offense, but something is better then nothing, maybe you should do something to have some type of income. I assume that you're a student, so you can right papers, tutor, sale your books...There are ways to make money honey.  As far as people stealing peoples info their is nothing you nor  I can do about that and regardless they can steal your identity with or without you having your refund.  But anyway they start processing on the 14th and you should be receiving an email to see if you have been accepted or rejected. Then it is approx. 21 days to go through.  If you go to Where's My Refund on irs.gov you can keep track of it once it has been processed.  I hope I have gave you some well needed info and knowledge.
  • the irs website said educational refunds will start processing on feb. 14
  • I have educational credits and files on the 20th, it states that my federal was excepted and shows pending with irs where's my refund page. But how could it show accepted when there not filing them until the 14th of feb. will mine end up rejected?
  • Accepted is different than processing.
  • I have education credits and I filed Jan. 18th and got accepted on Jan. 25th. It states that my refund is processing with the irs. I was told the its are not filing them until Feb. 14th. What gives?
  • I re filed and left my Educational credit off..
  • 1/24 accept and still processing as off 2/12 . because off the education credit..
  • same here been processing sense 2/1/12 because of the eduaction credit smh  mine is under 400 wth
  • I, as well have the education credit. The form i received was the 1098 T. I have one question, and one question only. I understand the IRS sent me an email stating they will not be accepting education credits until February 14th, does this mean after that date my pending status will change for my federal? My state was accepted the same day i filed and i already received my refund. Any answer would help, thank you
If your return is still in pending stage beacuse of the school credit simply go back into it take off the credit and file and just ad it later after you receive your return . Form 8863 will not be processed till mid febuary
  • that's stupid..... if I did that I would owe money and then have to amend the return to get the credit
  • Im glad I wasn't the only one to do so! My credit was a whopping $2. Thanks for your post, brandon1985
  • Turbo Tax and the IRS site say this form is available NOW...why aren't they processing our returns?  I can't even reach a real person to talk to.
  • is that true or accurate  if its showing as a pending status that I can go back and take it off?...
  • I don't know, but if it is, I want to try it!
  • If you sent your return then you must wait. Filling out another tax return will only send a red flag and you might get audited.
  • msdanelle did taking out the education credit and refiling change anything, did u than get accepted
  • I was told once you submit your return you can't go in and change it unless you receive a rejection.
  • Thanks just frustrated filed on 1/24 and still pending
  • I think I will not use Turbo next year, just for not making this clear. If I had known I could have waited on the ED form. Anyone going to school depends on thier refund and this is a shocker to find out it wont be excepted until mid Feb when Turbo said it would be on the 30th.
  • If you filed the educational credit it will still be pending until mid February...
  • I have used TURBO TAX for 8 years...and I WILL NOT USE THEM AGAIN for this same reason!!!
  • so after your return was in pending status for 72 hours you just went back and it took the educational credit off and sent it with no problem?
  • I am really upset that the IRS didnt tell us about the delay until opening day too.... HOWEVER this delay is affecting everyone with this credit no matter if you choosed Turbo Tax or some other company.... They are ALL saying pending. :(
  • Are you all checking the IRS website as well??
  • I don't think I will use turbo tax again.  I called to try and speak to someone abut changing my taxes since it is only pending. I was on hold for over 30 min and then got disconnected. Then, I did the chat.The lady that I chatted with was telling me two different things. She said that the ones that have the educational credit is being held until mid Feb. I asked if I could change my taxes and she said no because it is peding with the irs. How is it pending with them if turb tax isn't filing it until mid Feb?  I will not use turbo tax next year! (sorry for all of the venting, Iam just very frustrated!)
  • This is the information I obtained from the IRS. GOV website..Taxpayers using this form can begin filing their tax returns in mid-February after the IRS updates its processing systems.

Form 8863 Education Credits
  • I did one better. I went to H&R Block, used their online service and left off the education credit, Their service costed the exact same as TurboTax and my refund is $180 bigger than what TurboTax was giving me! I asked a tax advisor what will happen to my TurboTax "Pending" forms and he said it will just be rejected due to duplicate SS #'s. TurboTax just lost a loyal customer!!!
  • I use turbo tax for my federal but not state.  Last year was the 1st time I filed my state with TT and they didn't even turn it in!  Or if they did it went to someone else, because my state site said they never received it.  Paying for the state filing and not getting it is a rip off too.
  • I hope this clarify and help  somebody who may need their tax back quick like I do. I re-filed with H&R online and got accepted by the IRS within 30 minutes.... So the tax that was e-filed with TT will automatically reject once they actually submit it since they're holding all those with education credits until mid Feb. as stated in my email. They're telling people they sent those in to IRS when actually they haven't. When you call IRS they have nothing on file to accept or reject since they're not looking to start those returns until mid Feb or early March
  • TT JUST LOSS ANOTHER LOYAL CUSTOMER
  • i filed mynes and it was ecepeted so will it still be delayed cause i didnt wait on  the form??
  • Are you positive that it's been accepted? TT is sending messages saying its successful when really they're holding the efiles until mid Feb or March for the ones with credits like the education credits. The way to know if its really accepted by the IRS is to go to wheres my refund or call 18007291954
  • 18008291954
  • @authorshaquenna, I have education credits and was accepted by irs 01/24, mine is still showing processing and has been for since 01/30. I wish I was able to get it back and file my education credits later. I need my money.
  • Mine federal was efiled on the 10th and accepted on the 24th. When I go to WMR it shows that it's being processed. I'm so confused.
  • it takes up to 21 days to process.
  • Does anyone know if I go ahead and file my Federal with another company will anything happen to my State? I have the education credti....
  • They no longer use the verbage "accepted"  It is received and processing.    OR pending.
  • The IRS didn't announce until the 28 they wouldn't be accepting the 8863 from, if you go tot file the 8863 now on turbo tax it tells you about the delay. I filed on the 25 and They had no idea the form could not be filed yet!
  • straight up needing this money to help pay for school, LOL!
  • Mine is still stating pending aswell, and has been that way for 5 days. and I knew I had to wait little longer because of eduaction but dam this is little crazy. Good luck everyone in getting your return back quickly
  • I went back in and took it off of mine and it changed everything, i am still waiting on a response to see if they accept it but it doesnt say the things about waiting to be processed because of the IRS
  • I did same still no update
  • I would try hr block but already paid turbo tax
  • RS to Start Processing Delayed Returns on Feb. 14; Most People Unaffected and Can File Now

IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011

Related Items:

IR-2011-1, IRS Kicks Off 2011 Tax Season with Deadline Extended to April 18; Taxpayers Impacted by Recent Tax Breaks Can File Starting in Mid- to Late February
        IR-2011-4, IRS e-file Launches Today; Most Taxpayers Can File Immediately
  • This is from 2011.
  • I requested and received a refund for the $32.51 I paid TurboTax because my status is still pending. Refiled with H&R Block for $29 and the irs accepted and is processing my returns.
  • FINALLY AN ANSWER I CAN LIVE WITH
  • I concur.  That is really stupid
I JUST SPOKE WITH A TT REP AND WAS TOLD THE IRS ARE SUPPOSE  TO START EXCEPTING THE 8863 FORM ON TOMMOROW 2/7

crystal dailey: last i chatted with someone i was told my federal had been sent to the irs...which i knew wasnt true because of the 8863 form...i called irs and they confirmed that they had no record of my return. Now are you guys holding my federal or has it been sent to the IRS..and is it true that the IRS will start excepting the 8863 form on 2/7???? 
07_S. Freeman, EA: That is what the IRS has told us, February 7th. Except they have told us dates that have changed at the last minute so please be patient. There is nothing TurboTax can do until the IRS is ready to accept them.

• Thanks Crystal, I tried to chat yesterday but couldn't wait that long, 2/7 is better than 2/15, I do believe that TT's hands are tied and this delay has been caused by congress.
  • 10_Jennifer S: Hi Tiffany, thank you for your patience. I’m here to help you today. Give me just a few seconds to read your question.
    Tiffany Hoff: okay
    10_Jennifer S: Thank you
    Tiffany Hoff: no problem
    10_Jennifer S: ok
    Tiffany Hoff: so i just had a couple of questions that are unclear to me
    10_Jennifer S: Ok
    Tiffany Hoff: is their a date the irs has given to start processing for education credits other than mid- february
    10_Jennifer S: No,there isn't.I'm sorry
    10_Jennifer S: This is the only date they have given everyone.
    Tiffany Hoff: if my return alreayd says it was accepted your site says i should recieve my return by the 19th is this still accurate due to education delays
    Tiffany Hoff: and on your forums there is several postings where ppl have tlaked to tt professionals and gotten a date of between the 7 and 9th
    10_Jennifer S: It depends on where the IRS is with your taxes. WE can not give you a date because they have your taxes now. Only they can provide you with that update where they are at with your taxes now.
    Tiffany Hoff: so they are holding my taxes not turbo tax until the processing for education credits is approved
    Tiffany Hoff: they as in the irs
    10_Jennifer S: Yes,the IRS has your taxes
    Tiffany Hoff: so i can call them and they should be able to tell me what i am needing to know about my return
    10_Jennifer S: Everyone that has the educational credit is being delayed until Mid- February there is not much there are going to do but to tell you ,you have to wait for them to process them.
    Tiffany Hoff: well my husband called and was told they did not have his taxes and he got the same e-mail as me that said his had been accepted how is this possible
    Tiffany Hoff: they will be able to verify they have my taxes and are just holding them until time to process?
    10_Jennifer S: One moment please
    Tiffany Hoff: okay
    Tiffany Hoff: are you still there?
    10_Jennifer S: Yes,I'm loooking uo your account for the transmission on your taxes
    Tiffany Hoff: okay thanks sorry
    10_Jennifer S: No, problem
    10_Jennifer S: Your taxes does show a delay in an education credit. Here is what I'm seeing: 1/23/13 7:48:17 PM RECEIVED
    Your return has been received and will be forwarded to the taxing agency at the appropriate time.
    Yes (Resend)
    1/26/13 7:35:22 AM IN_AGENCY
    Filing changed state to IN_AGENCY

1/26/13 8:43:02 AM SUCCEEDED_AGENCY
    Filing changed state to SUCCEEDED_AGENCY
    Yes (
    2013-01-23 19:48:18.951 Early Filer
    Early Filer
    The IRS begins processing returns on Jan. 30, 2013. Wait at least 48 hours after this date, then check your status again.
    Tiffany Hoff: okay. where would i look to find that information on my tax forms or am i able to do so
    Tiffany Hoff: also, if the turbo tax site says processing does that mean they have recieved your taxes or that they have not been sent yet?
    Tiffany Hoff: well thank you for your help jennifer s have a blessed day!!
For those referring to the 1098 as the only form you had - that is the form you received from your school - that is the form that means that you actually have schedule form 8863 credit and THAT is what is holding up your return.  I am in the same boat and asked a tax attorney friend about what everyone is saying about filing with another source - he advised highly against this as it could potentially kick out your return and you will still be waiting if you file for the same credit and if you leave it off and amend later it could get messy as well (that dreaded A word popped up) - so just wait until next week for them to fix the glitch and get your refund in a few weeks.  I am frustrated as well but I actually sought legit advice!
  • I was told that anyone who has filed taxes that include the 8863 form will not be processed untill mid Feb. (2/15ish) that is if the IRS does not extend the date further out (stated the rep.). Sooooooo for those of us who filed with the form we shouldnt count on anything until sometime around March.
  • I was told different dates, but the  latest date was Feb 15, and once you are processed you recieve your refund in 5-9 days if efiled, the new system processes much faster than last year.
I just refiled with TaxAct and was accepted. As long as your return still says pending, you can do this. Just leave the education credit out and file an amendment later!
  • Wow I been filed my return for four years with Turbo Tax and this is the first time this happen to me "status pending" because school credit what that means? the only different that i did was the 1098T for my son college. Can some one help me
  • I had form 8863 I was accepted on the 29th. and today I got a dd date of feb 11th. Hope this helps!!
  • @ashleyyann0726 did you call or did you see that on wmr?
  • Update: Just got an email saying the IRS has accepted  my return from H&R Block and I should have my refund within 21 days!
  • ashleyann-Thats wonderful! Maybe they are in the process of updating their system to take this form, I have form 8863 and am still processing.hopefull i will get a DD dat eover the weekend.
  • @ momx6 have you got a dd date yet??
As of 6 February 2013:

Ms. Duranko at the IRS (badge 1306150) states:
    "We are not actually accepting these returns YET." 
   What is now happening is that there are "transmitters" attached to all returns containing the 8863 form - this means that if your return is stuck in pending or is denied it is really still waiting in line to be filed - this is for anyone who filed 27 January or LATER. The 8863s are still waiting to be processed and that is not expected to begin until Mid-February with an anticipated date of 15 - 18 February. All up-to-date information can be found by going to the IRS website and looking on the Main Page under 2013 Filing Season. It WILL be updated as soon as 8863s are ready for processing.

Also, for those of you cancelling "refiling" your returns, be careful. I was also advised that there are new Fraud Measures under way and they WILL be cracking down on those who filed multiple returns under the same SSN. So just be aware. 
  • So if i go file with another program and leave off the education credit, how will TT get their money since i chose to pay for my taxes with my federal return.
  • I suppose they wouldn't; however, I would be worried that the new programming at the IRS would flag me for fraud after refiling under the same SSN, and that my return, once accepted, would be held up longer to a fraud investigation.
  • i spoke with an irs agent about an hour ago, and was told i would be fine to resubmit without the credit, and file an ammend later to pick up the rest. She said TT (and others) are holding the returns until the IRS is ready to receive them. the TT return will be rejected when they submit because they have already received my return from hrblock. (which i submitted less than an hour ago)
  • @Brad.jaggard: I spoke to another IRS agent, a Mrs. Benson (badge 1468803), and posted it to my school "Taxes forum" for someone who said the same thing, who stated "those who filed BEFORE January 27 and returns were rejected are OKAY to resubmit." Those who have filed AFTER January 27 should beware of filing while their status says "Pending" as the system CAN receive both returns which will flag them both as fraud and can result in longer wait times.
     I can only post the information as I receive it. I try to call once a day and make notes of what has been said.
  • what bout those of us that was accepted before Jan 27?
  • Efiled thru TT 1/17/2013 - accepted 1/24/1013 and still today ( 2/7/2013 ) when I check the www.wheresmyrefund.com website still shows recieved/processing now tell me that isn"t a crock of shit people .
UPDATE: February 8, 2013

Today the IRS announced they will start processing returns that include Form 8863 on Thursday, February 14.

If your return contains Form 8863, don't let this stop you from e-filing your return today. We'll securely hold your return and send it to the IRS on February 14.

Please be aware that your return will remain in "Pending" status for another 24-72 hours after February 14, as the IRS works through the backlog of stockpiled returns. Also, if your federal return is being held, your state return may also be delayed. Some state tax authorities require that the federal return is accepted before they can start processing.

Note: Don't worry if your tax return includes these education credits and has already been accepted by the IRS. You don't need to do anything on your end. We will communicate with you directly to let you know when we are transmitting your return to the IRS. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, you can expect to receive your refund in 21 days or less.

Because of the fiscal cliff crap in DC this year that is why their are delays.  I did not know about the Education Credit though until today I to filed on the 28th and both of mine are pending.  I too need this money ASAP!  I think everyone does.  It will come when it comes but I agree if people already have their refunds then the IRS did not give out true information unless these people filed with places that give loans on their refund.  Because they said they would not accept any returns until the 30th of January.  I too agree this is sad and that the government needs to get it together.  People need this money and for bills and other important reasons medical expenses or education etc.  Sad we need to voice our disgust at the polls next election.  We need to stand up and say we are not going to take this crap anymore.
  • Mine is pending too; from 27th.  What I hate about TT is we don't know what to do?  May call IRS and ask today....refile?  I don't think leaving off and doing amended later is good if your getting the education refund that could cause the IRS to look at it twice and some.  I did that one year and they allowed it but the following year sent me an audit and took it away and alerted the State that I owed $300 more dollars ...I did TT but paid the state as I didn't know what to do.  It is hard to read the instructions and when you call the IRS "specialists" they give different answers and obviously don't know many yet they can audit and change our returns....Awful!  Called on this credit to make sure right and the girl had me on hold almost 30 minutes while she kept "checking"  her info.....real direction....
I received am email message that said; hope this helps because i also filled an education credit and still pending.
Dear Alvin S Dutruch,

Important Update About Your Federal Tax Return Good news! The IRS will start to process returns like yours soon.

Next step:

Read the IRS statement

Thanks for using TurboTax!

I phoned the IRS and spoke to Turbo Tax, if the IRS has already received your return and it states "it is being processed" than you cannot amend your return unless it is rejected. If it is rejected than you can go ahead and remove the education credits refile and then amend the return later.  The IRS hopes to have the software problem corrected by mid February so those returns reflecting the credit can be processed.
    • Has anyone that filed removed there education credits and re filed?
    • Update: Just got an email saying my H&R Block return was accepted by the IRS and I should have my return within 21 days!
    • Great news momx6!!
    • momx6, had you previously filed with TT or another service?  As there are others that "got accepted" when filing a second time, only to get notified later that their return was now flagged for multiple uses of the SS#

And then neither filing will get you a refund anytime soon.
    • TaxPro, I spoke with a tax advisor. He said the irs system is completely automated. When they receive a second return with the same ss#'s, it is simply rejected and sent back to TT since the returns filed with H&R Block were already accepted.
    • @momx6: While it is true that the IRS systems are automated they are programmed to search for things like multiple returns under the same SSN. However, that being said, not all of the returns simply get returned - some of them are flagged - per TaxPro - and followed up as fraudulent cases. A call to the IRS will give you more information but essentially this can ultimately be trouble in the long run.
    • Called the irs. They have no returns submitted under me or my husbands ss# from TT because TT hasn't submitted them yet. I requested a refund of my fees from TT and it was credited to my account yesterday.
    • @momx6 do you have a did yet
    • I mean dd yet
    I was told once you submit your return you can't go in and change it unless you receive a rejection.
    • I think you can doit if you refund hadn't been released yet
    • Is it ok to fo back in and file again without the education credit?
    • I wish I had knew about the education credit delay. I would have filed if after I got my refund. I did my aunts and she is getting the american opportunity credit and a dd is scheduled for 2/20 for her.
    • @ brattychick999 when did you file your aunt's taxes? I am getting the same credit..
    • I removed my educational credits but I'm afraid to re-submit because of a delay or being rejected. Has anyone submitted their taxes, than removed their educational credits and then re-submit their taxes again and got an approval?
    • you cant re submit your taxes that are already filed without a rejection first as far as I know
    • My return has been pending since 01/29. I think it's something wrong with TT software that's keeping the 8863 filers in pending status, because I called the IRS about 30 minutes ago and the rep told me that even though I filed with the 8863 form that I should have been accepted or rejected after 72 hours, but the return would not be processed until mid-feb. She told me to call back next week on Wednesday, to check the status and if my return still shows pending and not received by the IRS that I should refile my return.
    • Maybe the education form 8863 was a ruse to trap people. The government knows most people stay in school when the economy goes sour. So policymakers purposefully stalled balancing the budget and the IRS delayed opening tax season.
    • Turbo tax is holding your return until the IRS is ready to take returns with form 8863. Your return has not been submitted  yet if it is still showing pending with Turbo Tax. As a remedy you can efile again with another tax software(without the education credits)...get your return accepted and when your return is sent to the IRS by Turbo Tax it will be sent back as rejected. My return was accepted on the 30th. You can amend the return with the education credits at a later date.
    • @adori1025 I don't think it's necessary for TT to hold the return. I would feel comfortable if they would just send it through and the IRS accept it and I don't mind it pending in the IRS system. I just want them to have it received. I probably will go ahead a refile with another tax software and amend my return later. This is whole tax thing is crazy.
    • THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I FILED USING TURBO TAX LAST YR AND I HAD AN EDUCATION CREDIT AND I DIDNT HAVE TO GO THRU THIS CRAP...WHAT IS GOING ON. I FILED ON THE 29TH AND MINE IS STILL PENDING. I NEED MY MONEY..
      #SIGNED A FUSTRATED TURBO TAX CUSTOMER.
      WILL NOT USE TURBO TAX NEXT YR. THEY WILL LOSE ALOT OF CUSTOMER B/C OF THIS
    • It's not TT, its the IRS!
    • Im goin to chat with a turbotax rep....im goin to take off my education credit and resend....i will let everyone know how it went!
    • please do, very interested in knowing.
    • OK so i TRIED to modify my federal taxes and it said it was already filed on 1/26??? so im not pending??? WTH
    • That is true once you submit your returns you can not change anything until you get a rejection it is just like putting them in mail you cant get them back until you get a rejection.. If you redo your taxes you could get a red flag by the IRS so I guess we all just have to wait until Turbo Tax or the IRS figure out what they are about to do...SMH!!
    • I plan on doing the same thing. TurboTax does not want anyone to do this - warns that once it's sent through there is nothing that you can do. Has anyone gone through with this yet?
    • I did change mine.....Still Pending
    • Please let me know if yours gets accepted. I e-file on Jan.25 and I did take off education credits on Jan 30 off too and resubmitted on Jan 30 through turb tax and it's showing still pending
    • So going to H&R block will not slow down you getting your return? If it has already been accepted, will you get your return faster even though the IRS has the delay with education credits? So do you get flagged for having to tax returns filed with two companies?
    • No.I spoke with a tax advisor before I re-filed with H&R Block. They told me that the "Pending" forms that TurboTax is holding will simply be rejected because the IRS can't accept duplicate tax forms. I filed with H&R Block on Saturday, and the IRS accepted my returns 20 minutes later. When I checked my status on the IRS website, it shows that they have accepted and are processing my returns and I should have my refund within 21 days. On a side not, my refund from H&R Block is $180 MORE than my refund with TurboTax. I will NEVER use Turbotax again!!!
    • i have used HRB in past, like their service, but for almost $200.00 more for it, not worth it.
    • @  momx6.. Have you got a Direct Deposit date yet? I did the same thing you did and my taxes are being processed by the IRS. I can check my status but I don't have a direct deposit date yet..
    • No DD date yet, just accepted and being processed by the IRS. H&R Block said I should have an exact DD date within 48 hours of being accepted by the IRS. Hope this helps!
    • UPDATE: You will be able to amend your 2012 return around February 7. Although Form 1040X has been finalized in TurboTax, the in-product amendment experience is not yet complete. Be sure to come back to this article on or after February 7 for 2012 amending instructions. Thank you for your patience!

When you amend, you're changing or correcting an electronic return that's been accepted or a paper return that's already been mailed. If you have received a notice from the IRS that you need to amend a return, don't panic. This is a straight forward process, and TurboTax will walk you through it step-by-step.
    • not sure if it will help out but it might be worth looking into on the 7th, i am going to go to HR Block and see if they can take the education credit off of mine but their website says 21 days so Im debating if I will be getting it around the same time that they start accepting the education credit and if it will throw my credit way back? Idk if I should wait and see if I get all of it by the 1st of March or file and take my chances?
    • Received by TurboTax | 01/28/13 04:36:13 PM
      Your return has been received. You can expect to receive an email acknowledgment within 24-48 hours, indicating whether or not your e-file was accepted.
      Sent to Tax Authority | 02/01/13 04:05:41 AM
      The filing has been transmitted to the agency and the agency has accepted (but not acknowledged) the filing. The system is now waiting for an acknowledgment message from the agency regarding the filing. (Tax authority meaning IRS)

AND heres what another person told me:
      Received by TurboTax | 01/12/13 08:05:28 PM
      Sent to Tax Authority | 01/24/13 08:29:12 AM
      The filing has been transmitted to the agency and the agency has accepted (but not acknowledged) the filing. The system is now waiting for an acknowledgment message from the agency regarding the filing.
      Accepted | 01/24/13 10:06:22 PM
      The filing has been successfully acknowledged by the agency.

So, maybe its just right around the corner?
    • Where did you get this at  JachsChic08?
    • Beginning Feb. 14, the IRS will start processing both paper and e-filed returns claiming itemized deductions on Schedule A, the higher education tuition and fees deduction on Form 8917 and the educator expenses deduction.
    • based on chatting with someone, they told me that even though your federal is held up like mine you will still get your state before the mid feb range
    • JachsChic08, where did you get that information?   I find nothing where the IRS has put a date on the processing of 8863, other than "mid February"
    • it was on turbo tax blog
    • I misread your post, you actually didnt say anything of the 8863 form. (education credits that we are all talking about)
    • sorry, im waiting on my 1098-T to go through also = /
    • I filed with tt with the education credit on Jan. 26 and it was accepted and it shows received on wmr
    • Impossible!   They only will show received and processing, then refund approved, then refund sent.  

:)
    • I know 3 people who did their taxes at both H&R block and Turbo tax but did not submit them, and they were exactly the same to the penny!
    • i was able to go into mine and change mine after i filed and it is showing pending still but that was 2 hours ago. we will see.
    • That is absolutely correct.  Once you hit the send button, that is it.  You can only make changes if it has been rejected.
    irs is incompetent.  should've had this taken care of already before the opening of the filing season.
    • This is crazy the government is sooo quick to get are money but there is a hold up in regurads to getting are monies back OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!! HOPEFULLY THEY APPLY IT EARLIER THEN THE MID OF FEB. SAY PRAYERS U ALL!!!!!
    • just spoke to TT via online chat.. here is my result.. having NYS problems as well so that is included as well, sry

17_Cody D: Thanks for contacting TurboTax! My name is Cody. I apologize for the wait time but I'm here now and happy to help! Please give me a moment to read your question. How is your day going so far?
      Curtis : could be better thank you
      Curtis : I have a few questions regarding my taxes regarding both federal and state returns. I was advised via Turbotax emails that both were accepted. First, I know i have form #### on my return and is or was delayed. I have spoke to several others with this form and they have been told that they are now processing them. Is this true or know when they are being processed? second, my state was accepted per turbotax email as well and i go to check status
      Curtis : on state return website and was told it needs further reviewing. am i approved or not?
      17_Cody D: First let me look up your e-file record to see if I can get some details on the state return, then I'll look into 8863 and see if they are being processed and if not when that will be.
      Curtis : thanks
      17_Cody D: Your e-file record shows the state return as accepted and gives not other information regarding something wrong with it. If NY is saying it needs further review then I would contact the NY department of revenue and ask them what is going on with it. It shows as an accepted return.
      Curtis : ok. i will call them after this, thank you.
      17_Cody D: Returns with form 8863 will not be processed until mid-
      17_Cody D: february
      17_Cody D: The IRS dd not give a firm date on that
      17_Cody D: I understand your frustration with that, I am waiting on mine too.
      Curtis: some people have been told that as of late last week into the weekend via TT rep, that the irs advised the form is now being transitioned into being accepted in computers. you havent heard that at all?
      17_Cody D: No, but let me check with someone to see if that is something that changed.
      Curtis : ok
      17_Cody D: There hasn't been any change in that status reported to us. Here is the IRS announcement of it whcih came out last week: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-To-Accept-Returns-Claiming-Education-Credits-by-Mid-February
      17_Cody D: I apologize if there is some bad information out there put out by one of our agents.
      Curtis:  thank you very much. i'll keep waiting and in meantime call NYS to see whats going on with that.
      17_Cody D: Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
      Curtis:  that will be all today. thank you
      17_Cody D: I will be emailing you a survey to rate my performance on our interaction today. This is not to rate the product directly but for me personally as a representative of the product. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this.
      Curtis: i will, thank you
    • These people had all year to update and test the system, it's alway the little guy who has wait.  So sick of this.  JUST SHAKING MY HEAD. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • I have been pending since the 29th. My aunt got the education credit and she has been accepted.  Im super pissed !!!! I want my money!!
    • I was accepted on the 27th but, thats not approved, according to irs they will begin processing returns with educational credit anywhere being on the 9- 19 th of February
    • this is so annoying
    • I'm not a tax professional, but I think a lot of people are misunderstanding.  If you do not have any education credits, and some other mentioned credits, and you are only filing the 1040EZ form, your return is likely going to be accepted quickly and you will get your refund faster no matter who you are filing with.  
      If you have an education credit, which is shown as the 8863 form within your filed documents that print off, this is what is holding up your return because the IRS is not accepting that form yet...hence the pending status with TT.  TT has your file, it's ready to go, but they can't submit to the IRS until the IRS starts accepting the forms.  People that still have pending status with TT, that have the credits, and have said they refiled with another company are saying they filed without the ed. credits and the returns are being accepted.  This makes perfect sense because they are leaving off the 8863 form.  
      I personally don't think it's worth refiling without the credits because we are only a week away from the IRS starting to accept the forms anyway.  When I submitted with TT, I immediately received a message saying that the IRS was not ready to accept my return because of certain credits included in my return.  After a few seconds of reading on the IRS website, I understood.  I don't like the delay anymore than anyone else, but it's the way it is.
    • amen sister.
    • Thank you..I too received a notice by email because of the education credit. It is what it is! Rather be delayed and done in one shot than to file an amendment which I have had to do once and it was a headache.. Patience is a virtue :) Have a good day
    • It is so funny when uninformed people start up with bashing of the IRS. The IRS is NOT incompetent - the bickering of 40-70 year old men was the cause of this whole mess. Because a deal was struck to avoid the fiscal cliff AFTER January 01, 2013 it delayed everything. Many of the deductions and credits that people are currently claiming EXPIRED and had to be REWRITTEN into the programming. So, if you would like to blame someone send a letter to the President, Congress, and Senate. But at the very least, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, please. And blame the people who deserve to be blamed and NOT the people busting their butts to get you a freaking refund.
    • Agreed Jenna, my only issue is that TT should notify us that our returns are being delayed due to the ed credit instead of telling us to expect an acceptance within 48 hours..
    • @TJGiantsFan: I think they should ALL be required to keep updates of "Opening Dates" for acceptance. None of these companies are doing. So I agree with you there. However, in all fairness to TT, I filed my taxes with the 8863 - within 48 hours I did receive an email from the IRS telling me that my refund was "in line and waiting to be processed" and that there were "credits that were not yet being accepted" on my return. So, I can't be mad - I did get word within 48 hours - that coupled with self-informing by way of the IRS website I wasn't surprised and I am just going to wait. But, I can understand the irritation and the annoyance of this situation - I am just annoyed, and surprised, by how many people are acting crazy with no understanding of the ACTUAL situation.
    I filed with TT on jan 28, then found out i'd have e to wait till mid feb for the irs to accept and process. so I called the irs and asked if I could refile without the education credit and amend later. I was told YES. so I filed through hrblock and the irs accepted my return in 10 min. so today I received an email saying that the irs would begin processing form 8863 feb 14. so I called the irs again to make sure that the return they accepted from hrblock would still go through and the tt would be rejected. the agent said yes, put me on hold to verify, then came back and said yes the info he provided me was correct. I assured him I was not trying to defraud the system, and he assured me I would not be flagged for fraud. my hr block return I filed after my tt return would go through regardless because it is already in the system. the irs does not have returns with 8863 from TT. so everyone who refilled through another service without the edu credit, and were accepted by the irs  after you already filed through tt, your return will be FINE.
    I filed my taxes on the 30th of January  and it is pending, if I go to another tax site and leave off the education credti what will happen when my taxes from turbo is accepted?
    • I did one better. I went to H&R Block, used their online service and left off the education credit, Their service costed the exact same as TurboTax and my refund is $180 bigger than what TurboTax was giving me! I asked a tax advisor what will happen to my TurboTax "Pending" forms and he said it will just be rejected due to duplicate SS #'s. 20 minutes after I filed with H7R block, I got an email that said the IRS accepted my return and I should have my refund within 21 days! TurboTax just lost a loyal customer!!!
    • Thank You for posting this info because I went back and took off the education credits with Turb Tax and I dont think they re-sent my papers off and I need my refund back sooner. Turbo just loss another loyal customer if this is accurate.......
    • did you have education credit?
    even though some of u filed on certain days before the 29th does not matter cause it did not become valid until the 30th whoever u filed with held it until then offices and online
    • Mine was held with TT though filed on Jan 25  and it was still pending in Feb 2 with education credits.
    • NO one has been processed yet with education credits.
    • @dell.t.shannon, that's not true. I have started seeing people post dd with the education credits.
    • Said they are going to start processing education credits mid February :/
    • i heard the expected day was february 7th... fingers crossed! and i have also heard of people having a dd of the 6th with education credits, not sure how it happened but i know a couple personally whose refund was accepted on the 26th of january and has a dd of tomorrow.
    • @drobinson0907, if you truly believe everything you read in forums, then well....

Anyways.. they have not processed any of the education credits, as they cant yet. The system isnt set up for it yet.   Do you think I or anyone else that has their money is going to come back to these or any of the other forums?
    no one was accepted before jan 30th.  It also makes me very upset.  our children go back to school in Jan and most of us that get to take the credit ,,,Need the money.  It was to help pay for his room.. THis is crazy.  Has anyone heard when they are going to start 

• There were some returns accepted before the 30th, mine included was accepted on Jan 25th. Part of any early "test run" Mine is still processing with education credit.
    • I was told today by the IRS agent that they are going to start processing them on Feb 7th and accept more returns with edication credit on Feb 15th.
      Hope its true- everytime I call the IRS, I get a different answer.
    • so after careful consideration and a call to the IRS, i resubmitted my return without the edu credit through hrblock, and the irs received it immediately. just waiting for the accept (24-48 hours).
    • So the people who have already been excepted but just waiting to be processed will be processed and a DD date then
    • Like Share Print

IR-2013-18, Feb. 8, 2013

The IRS is not excepting the tax credit until February 8th.
    • Hi Elizabeth! May I ask your source? My federal return has been pending since Jan 24th. I hope its accepted asap.
    • Like Share Print

IR-2013-18, Feb. 8, 2013

The IRS is delaying returns with the education credit. I filed my taxes with Turbotax on Jan. 17. Found out about the delay on the 30th. They are STILL pending. I got frustrated, went to HR Block.com, filed my return minus the education credit, it has been 3 hours.... My return is accepted already!! Still don't have a refund date, but at least we are making progress!! I have been using TT for 10 years, always pay at least $80 to file plus they use an outside bank to handle your money who also charges another fee on top of TT. This year my total was around $96... HR Block Free addition is.. get this.... FREE!! And no outside bank... TT just lost a 10 year loyal customer. 
    • I'm with you on that one and I did the same exact thing. Mine was accepted on the 31st minus the education credit. Let us know any updates on your refund. Mine is still pending.
    • Well my friend File with H&R block the same day as I did with Turbo tax. She pay the same amount as you $96 and I pay $0. And both of our returned are still pending...
    • I'm confused, wouldn't you rather wait a few weeks and get the education credit?
    I heard from the last update I received, the delay in refunds is  due to the educational tax credit. Part of the charges being made was with the educational credit, in particular the American Opportunity credit.  With the delay in decision  making with he fiscal cliffs, the government was making some changes to this credit.   I'm assuming hasn't come to a complete conclusion yet. I lot of my friend has already received refunds that didn't have these types of credits.   I pray whatever  decision has to be made is done quickly and respectfully to my advantage.   I need my return ASAP!   : )
    I filed with tax act and did not input the education credit, was accepted in 10 minutes
    • Well then your impatience cost you some money.

• The government is lying, tho!  They don't want to give out that credit...  They are delaying it hoping people would give up trying to claim that credit.  I read alot of the comments where some say they want to remove the request for education tax credit and re-file the regular way.  That's what the government is hoping for.  For those who wait, they are going to delay you as long as they can so they can sit on the money and build interest and hold off on refunds as long as possible.  It's a tactic.
    • ^^I agree^^
    • @ shonuffda1 The government is the one who decided to give you this money to begin with. They don't have to give you anything. It just amazes me that people complain about the government when they are doing something to help you out. Yes it is taking awhile but they could have decided to just cancel the credit and saved a lot of money and aggravation.
    • i filled my taxes on 1/24/13! im still in pending so i call the IRS this morning to find out they were  rejected on the 1/27/13!! the rejection code was 419 which is a foregin address!! how the hell is that when i live in california!!! im so mad!! i still havent received anything form turbo tax so i can refile!!!! is there anything i can do? or do i have to wait till i get a notification for trubo tax?? IM ON HOLD WITH LIVE CHAT THERE IS 163 POEPLE AHEAD OF ME!!!
    • i was also told i got a random rejection code cuz i filled early! im still pending on trubo tax too!!!
    Form 8863, Education CreditsDate for PrintAvailable Available Available Date for EfileAvailable Available Available 
    • I just checked the IRS website and it says this form is available so i dont know what is going on...
    • Where did you guys find that?
    • Please read the news release on the IRS website. There is an error in IRSs sytem in processing the EC 8863. Turbo Tax doesn't control IRSs system so they had no knowledge of the problem. It clearly states on the IRS website that the test run of the IRS sytem on the 28th showed the problem. The form being available is not the issue but processing it is. Once the software problem is fixed then returns with the EC 8863 will be processed. So returns sent after the 28th will not be accepted until its fixed and all the ones filed early and already accepted will stay as "being processed" until the problem is resolved. Please read, folks it will set you free from guesses and hopes!
    • @ LREMBERT23.. maybe Turbo Tax haven't updated their system to tell their customs that the forms are ready to be process.
    • @ fallonsmom.. That could be one of the reasons why Turbo Tax still have pending on people status that filed on or after the 30th.
    • @fallonsmom... My sister was warned by H&R block Rep. when she went in to file taxes on Jan. 30th that the education credit, form 8863, was slowing down refunds and they gave her the option to file everything now and wait until mid. Feb to get accepted or she could file now without the education credit, get most of her refund now and then later amend them. If H&R Block had this knowledge early, how is it that the Turbo Tax "Experts" didn't have this information and if they did have it, they certainly didn't care enough about their customers to pass the info along the way H&R block did. I believe that had they shared this much needed information Many people would have filed differently to avoid all the delays and hassels.
    • Exactly!  We filed early, and did not get notified from TT until the 30th by email that "on 1-28-13 the IRS discovered their systems are not yet ready to process forms 8863".    I was a bit pissed, as I believe TT knew of this issue when we filed.  It has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I will not be back to TT again.  Guess I will just go back to taking them to the local CPA.

We are still at "your return has been received and is being processed, to expect a refund within 21 days"
    • This is correct! I filed before the 28th and it was accepted and it shows received on the irs wmr
    • TT alerted me of the issue.  It was then that  started to hear it on the news and read it on the web.  I think this has gone too far with blaming TT.
    • TT knew of it on the 28th, but we and others were not informed for 2 days.  It was only then two days later after the fact, that we were made aware of the issue.  By then, the IRS had already received and started processing our return.   So yes, TT is to blame.   I will not be back to them next year. Just done my taxes in a mock up with another site, and found an error TT made on our already transmitted state taxes.  So now we get to amend them.
    • TT should keep ALL of us informed.  I want to try H and R for the first time in years with TT...never have my returns sat pended for a week (my kids with education credits too).  SHAME on the IRS and government; there is NO reason even with the fiscal cliff that they should be behind again;  check previous years before the cliff this isn't new.  They sure collect when needed or audit returns  more than ever and the middle and lower class seem to be hit a lot lately.  Not the Caymen Island crooks though....
    • @Megmaya2 :This really is NOT the fault of the IRS or TT. When the fiscal cliff hit on January 01,2013 at midnight there was no deal in place. Therefore all of the deductions and credits that were supposed to expire did - the IRS did what they were required to do which was remove all of the programming for those programs. When the GOVERNMENT finally decided to do their jobs then the IRS had to go back in and manually recode/reprogram ALL of those deductions and credits. Had the GOVERNMENT done their jobs in the first place, the IRS would not have had to scramble around and try and rewrite the codes and reprogram everything They have done their best and have not gotten "behind again" - the IRS simply never caught up. They had less than one month to do the  programming that normally have taken 7 months. I also have an education credit and am waiting for my refund, but I understand that it is MY job to keep myself informed.
    • S to Start Processing Delayed Returns on Feb. 14; Most People Unaffected and Can File Now

IR-2011-7, Jan. 20, 2011

Related Items:

IR-2011-4, IRS e-file Launches Today; Most Taxpayers C
    • Good Advice!
    • thank you
    I filed my taxes last year my job and school and i got more than $600. This year i did the same exact thing and i get $60?? WHY??
    • Well I feel a relief right about now......I just spoke with TT and they said IRS processing date for 8863 forms are Feb 7 and to keep check every couple days to see the outcome......he said it could be sooner but that is the date IRS gave them........and the only way you can take off the 8863 form is if you are rejected for some reason but if it is pending you can not....... some were wanting to get a tax return transcript go to irs.gov and type tax return transcript in the search bar and follow the directions from there and it is free....... I hope this is helpful for some good night folks :)
    • That is so helpful and eases up some of the frustration, thank you!!! :)
    • Thank you for this information , I was really thinking about never using TT. This is my second year giving them a try and each year I have had a problem with delay , that had nothing to do with my personal information. I still think I will use someone else next year.
    • This morning, i called TT and the rep i talked to told to disregard any misinformation by any representatives that are misleading people because the irs has made no such statements and apologized. Now I have seen several people say this same thing as you, so I wonder whom to believe.... Growing increasingly fed up.. I partially blame TT for not having everyone on the same page. But by no means is this delay their fault... The IRS dropped the ball again!!! No surprise, this would've happened regardless who you filed with..
    • To be honest all, I have two other friends that have field via another online tax service that has an education credit and they are also still in pending with their federal return; however their state has been accepted.  Although this may not be TT fault I blame them for not informing the customer before allowing them to press submit. The choice to have us file with them versus let us go elsewhere or wait on our own terms is a little dishonest. I figure if they stated it upfront they would lose money.  It really saddens me because I had recommended those same two people to TT and based on last year experience they went else and to their advantage it seem to work. The pending status on TT is not the same as other website. Pending on TT seems to mean no movement. I am too scared to file elsewhere and amend as this may hold it up longer. What I am doing now is checking the IRS website each day for my own updates (looking under news and pub) because TT is not in real time. I hope as a pervious person said the fixing of the system for education credits is 2-7 or 2/9, anything past that will cause a problem on this end. I think tomorrow I will call the IRS myself to get personalized information, as an effort to bust the myths.
    • @Lost customer1 - please share the information you receive when you call the IRS again. Thank you!
    • I voted for Obama twice...I think his staff could at least mention these delays going on and perhaps "apologize"  I'm ticked about this....Congress should get a big part of the blame but our president is not blameless either.  Shame on all and who does this hurt?  The rich?  No they pay cash for college....
    Im right there with you. I have education credits and the waiting is horrid. I need my tax return just to buy my books for my classes in march :/
    • Wow I just filed and this is what I have to look forward to?  UGH
    Read this article, it will explain. Turbotax has been no help to me at all in answering this question.    http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-To-Accept-Returns-Claiming-Education-Credits-by-Mid-February
    • I filed my taxes on the 30th after 11am so the irs accepted them on the 31st.  I also used form 8863 for education credits/deductions and I was given the same 21 days message.  But as of February 4, 2013 8am , I checked where's my refund and was told that my refund will be sent to my account on the 7th of February.  I hope this helps.

Curtis : could be better thank you
      Curtis : thanks
      17_Cody D: february
      Curtis : ok
      Curtis: i will, thank you
    • DID YOU RCV YOUR REFUND?
    does the delay have anything to do with the 1098 forms?
    • Yes because the 1098T is just the paper that the schools send to you that fills out the 8863.
    • thank you. hopefully they will accept them soon
    • I had no form , but did enter cost of education and supplies and mines say accepted and should get in 19 days fr. When I filed ...confussed
    • Update 2.5.13- called IRS
      Individual rep stated  they have no record of my return and TT should not hold the tax return they should submit it and it should be processed as normal return with the education credit and the IRS will work out the details in regards to your refund. She stated she has seen where the IRS is currently splitting the tax refund is half. Issuing refund for amount without education credit (form 8863) and later issuing the remaining refund in mid Feb. She also stated they have no date of when the education credit will start as of yet. Per the internal last alert it was said to start 2.15.13-2.18.13. In addition she stated it is best to contact TT with regards to not having them file it if they have not because a duplicate submission can cause further delay.  Although system is automated a duplicate causing a flag on the social and you are running the risk for someone to actually have to review your return and when that is done if you have not received your refund already you will not get it until the person review its ( the delay part). Too many issue with TT I am for sure leaving them, but will keep you posted on my return.
    Filed on 16 with education credit, w2, and self employment. Status is still pending! I so badly want to re file with another tax company. Are they holding up self employment too? Anyone refile without education credit, get a date AND get refund back already?
    • everyone, I recommend you call the irs, because currently TT is stating it is the IRS fault and they have assured me it is TT fault. They stated" the delay is with the refund , not the submission, and if you have pass the 48-72 hours since you filed you should not be in pending status. In addition you can file a formal complaint with the IRS about TT. To date my status is still pending and I have form 8863; however TT has not even submitted my return despite them stating efie submission was successful. The irs stated they would be able to see it if in fact that was true and although it would not be processed from their end they are able to track it from the time it is submitted to them. TT has lost a customer for sure , they did this last year and then this year I would be insane to allow them to do it again. By the way it is true if the irs has no return on file you can file with someone else ; however whichever refund gets there first is the one they use the other is rejected, keep in mind this is done at your own risk of further delay. Good luck
    • Wow that is crazy for it to be an issues on TT' s behalf. I sure need my refund so that I can continue taking classes. I have been pending since January 30th also. Had I known this I would have filed with another company.
    • Thank you very much for the information "Lost customer1".  TT can count me as "Lost Customer2" because I will never do business with TT again and I will share this terrible experience with my 1500+ Facebook and linked in connections so that I can prevent them from using TT this year.  I believe what TT has done is unethical and it should be brought to the attention of the FTC, your state atty general and all agencies that regulate consumer protection.  TT collected the fee without advising us up front about the education credit delay and has fraudulently advised us that the Federal return had been transmitted when in fact they are holding it.  I am so done with TT.
    • So are the education credit forms officially ready and being processed now does anyone know
    • in speaking with the irs today no, they have not started processing form 8863; however as they explained to me that has nothing to do  TT submitted our return. They stated TT should have submitted and the IRS will do the rest. Per TT they state they are not holding the return, but I am having a hard time believing them because of TT statement below which they published in public. Pay special attention to "We recommend that you file now with TurboTax, so you will be at the front of the line for your refund when the IRS begins to process these returns." Sounds like holding to me, does it to you?

"Can I still File?
    • I did my taxes on Jan. 14th and I am still pending with an Education Credit. Finacially you would think they would process students faster as someone else stated we struggle so taxes would help right now
    I filled on January 27th. I have had my state return accepted for a few days now. My federal is still pending. Is it likely that if my state was accepted I will not have problems with my federal as well?
      I posted earlier in this thread. Filed on 16th. Status still pending on TT. Called IRS yesterday and told they do not have my return. I had education credit. I asked about re file using another service without credit and she said I can try this. Used HR block last night and was accepted by IRS. Also shows up on WMR. No date yet, but i will follow up when i get one. Filing Federal only. I live in FL. Hope this helps.
      • Don't you lose a lot of refund by not claiming the ed credit?
      So what did the irs say?
      • Just got off the phone with another irs agent, she said that the turbo tax return will be rejected, buy the hrblock will be fine because they recieved it first...
      • According to IRS website student loan interest payed deductions are not part of the delays. I think only if your return includes form 8863 for tuition and fees.
      • Taxpayers using Form 8863, Education Credits, can begin filing their tax returns after the IRS updates its processing systems. Form 8863 is used to claim two higher education credits -- the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

The IRS emphasized that the delayed start will have no impact on taxpayers claiming other education-related tax benefits, such as the tuition and fees deduction and the student loan interest deduction. People otherwise able to file and claiming these benefits can start filing Jan. 30
      Filed my Fed and State on 01/27/2013. My state finally got accepted today. Yea! If Federal is going to accept the 2012 taxes with the education credit on it, around Fed. 15. Why not wait? I've already waited this long, and I don't want to do a amend to my taxes. I'm going to suck it up until about Fed. 20, if not accepted, I'll file elsewhere.
      Has anyone been told they are in error resolutions dept? I called to get fafsa info and they advised me they don't know why, it could be 8863 delay, mathematical error. Wtf
        I filed mine on 1/30/13 and the IRS responded with accepted, but due to the education credit it was placed in the stack of those waiting/pending.  Now just what does that mean?
        • Connie,
          They finally set a date for federal tax returns that have education credits. Its February 14. Which means that your tax return will be submitted on February 14 and then we have to wait 48 hours to see if they are going to accept or reject them.  hope this helps        Alvin
        ...............................
          Those of us waiting on Education Credits..... This is what I did to jump start the process....

I re-filed through TaxSlayer and omitted the Education portion. Then, whenever the IRS starts accepting the returns with Education Credits, I will ammend my return and submit it. The difference for me was about $1000. So I will get $5000 now and the rest when I ammend, even if it takes awhile longer.

The IRS will only accept 1 return from you so you do not have to worry about having submitted multiple returns from different tax prep websites.

The thing to be aware of is that you must submit your amended return BY MAIL. There is no E-File process for amendments. But like I said, for me it will be worth it to recieve 90% of my refund now and the rest later.

As far as dates go, I resubmitted on 1/31 and was accepted about 20 min later. WMR still says my refund is pending and I should recieve within 21 days. As of right now (2/3 @ 10am), I am not able to order a transcript (which apprently means my money is not en route yet) but based on what I've read of other peoples timelines, I fully expect to have my refund by next weekend.

Fingers crossed!

This might not work for everyone but so far it has for me. I will update this as I receive more information.

Good luck!

• It is highly inlikely that you will get a refund any time soon.  You have just done exactly one of the things the IRS is cracking down on, is filing multiple returns.  I have yet to see anyone that says they filed twice, have their money yet    I wish you well, but more likely you just caused yourself  a whole lot of grief and will wait even longer now.
          • Please keep me updated because I'm really considering doing this.
          • I filed with another company on the 25th and then read that the 8863 was the hold up so on the 30th I decided to file with another company and the return was accepted on Feb 1st. When I checked the WMR today it went from accepted to you have submitted the wrong information and the website now says that the form was rejected because the SS# had been used already from the first filing.The first company still says the forms qued to be submitted when the returns are ready to be accepted. @Marco, please keep me posted on your status.
          • ^^^^^ that is what is highly likely to happen to anyone trying to file multiple times.   I cannot figure out why everyone is so worked up over this. The IRS only started processing returns 5 days ago, and only 3 of those are business days.   On the old system, no one would have had a refund yet.
          • @schoolrn thanks for the update guess I won't be doing that................
          • even if you do file somewhere else, and use the education credit, it till will take until mid feb to do and you could lose your place in line.
          • From what I understand,most tax preparer software (Turbotax, TaxSlayer, ETC) is holding onto the returns until the Education Form is available and then they are submitting to the IRS. So in theory, my initial tax return is still with Turbotax and has not been submitted yet, and wont until Mid-Feb (According to the email they sent me) Now that I have gone through another provider and have submitted (and been accepted!) , once those forms are available or being accepted, the IRS will reject the one from   Turbo Tax. I had to do this last year for another reason (trying to avoid an amendment) and it worked fine, no issues. The IRS is not trying to "crack down" on folks submitting multiple returns, more like folks claiming 15 kids they dont have, Schedule C abuse, etc etc. That is exactly why they have that safety in place that will automatically reject any forms submitted using an already used SSN. But like I said, this was what I did, may not work for everyone, may not even work for me. But as of right now, things are going exactly like they did for another return I prepared and that one has a DD date for 2/6. I was willing to take the chance because I have about $700 worth of books I need to buy for school and I doubt my professors will understand me having to wait until "Mid-Feb" so here's hoping!!   I'll update tomorrow
          • Actually that is not totally correct. Some of the earlier filers were transmitted, and some were even received by the IRS before the 30th. However, as of the 29th the IRS said it would reject any filing with the 8863 form.    SO you could actually have your  return with the IRS.. why is it no one believe the WMR site or the phone line... if they say they have it, they have it.

And you might actually read their new fraud statement, one  of the items that is listed, is multiple filed returns using same SS#'s
          • The education form is available : form 8863
          • is it available now? i haven't heard anything yet.
          • @darlatafol9 The education credits on 8863 are still not being accepted. Sorry. The soonest we can expect to see them being worked on is February 15th. I hope this helps.

Similar questions other people found helpful: