I filed my taxes and it has already been accepted. A few days after I filed, I received a 1099-R that I forgot that I would be receiving. Do I have to amend my taxes that have already been filed and accepted??

Answer

20 people found this helpful

Once you e-file it is the same as if you had dropped a letter in a postal mailbox
--once it is sent you CANNOT simply get it back.

At this time, there is NOTHING you can do until the IRS processes your return.

IF it is accepted you will have to file an amended return.  An amended return MUST be PRINTED
and MAILED.

IF it is rejected you will have to make any corrections related to the rejections; AND at the
same time you can make the changes your refer to in your question.  After these
changes/corrections are made you can re- e-file.

IN NO CASE should you do anything at this time --especially if you used the on-line version of TTax.  
If you have already made any changes to your on-line return you MUST undo them and restore
your return to EXACTLY what it was when you initially e-filed.

CAUTION:  Making any changes before acceptance could result in major
corruption of your data.

BEWARE:
If you have received an acceptance, it would be best to wait until you actually receive your refund.  Then you can
prepare PRINT and MAIL an amended return.  The amended return usually takes 3-6 months for the IRS to process.
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community