IRS rejected my tax return because of my dependent

Last year I used Turbo Tax to file my income tax return.  My mother lives with me and I've been supporting her since she has no income of her own.  I have listed her as a dependent for the last 3 years.  This year was no exception.  I selected import because nothing had changed, when I submitted my income tax return the IRS rejected it, said it didn't match what they had on file.  

My question is if nothing changed with her name or social security number, then why did they reject it?
    So I had the exact same thing happen with my daughter.  I simply just resubmitted them.  When I resubmitted them I had a pop-up that stated it would take a week longer because someone actually had to sit and go through it.  I don't seem to have that problem any more, however now I have to wait because of my educational credit.  My taxes are now pending and have been since the 28th of Jan.  Hopefully this gets figured out soon, otherwise I will no longer use TT.  I don't know if it is their fault or the IRS's fault, but I don't understand how information doesn't match when it was the same information that was accepted the year before.
    • The IRS is not accepting any tax returns with education credits until Feb 14th, 2013. This is because of all the laws that have changed. It is not TurboTaxes fault. They sent me an email to let me know this and that my taxes would be filed on the 14th. There are some returns that will not be accepted for review until the end of February or first week in March. This again is due to the changed tax laws and the way the IRS decided to do things this year.
    • My tax situation is not because of education credits but a problem with my dependent whom I've carried for the last three years.  Neither does my issue have to do anything with the updated tax laws.  

My situation is the IRS is saying the social security and name does not match what in their database for my dependent.  Which I have carried for the last three years.

This is not an issue with TurboTax, but with the IRS and Social Security.  I've already spoke with them, and they said it's going to take longer than usual because they have to verify my dependents social security number and name.

I was posting an update to the other person who is having the same problem as me.
    • I had the same problem this year. My return was rejected due to a dependent's number being wrong or someone else claiming her. Neither of these are true, same number and nobody else is claiming her. My wife thinks the IRS is trying to buy more time before they have to pay us. I called the IRS and they told me to send it in the mail, which is a hassle to print it all out and attach w2s, and also I'd have to wait 6-8 weeks to get my refund. Hmmm? Anyway, I resubmitted it electronically and we'll see what happens.
    • OK, it was rejected again. I'm going to wait a few days and see if they fix the problem before I mail in my return. I have a feeling that a lot of returns are being rejected because they don't have the money to pay us.
    I just checked the WMR on the IRS site, the update said that my refund was being processed.  The date would be updated once there was one available, so I guess there is hope. We'll see :)
    • I received a date for my income tax return for Thursday.