why does it say i owe federal taxes on the summary screen?

• But I am getting a refund back, and it still says I owe?
  • READ THE ANSWER BELOW BEFORE ASKING THE SAME QUESTION OVER AND OVER AGAIN!
  • wanting to no what i owe $663 federal taxes what is this for
Turbotax has a poorly written summary page. The amount is actually the total tax on your income for the year. You do not "still" owe the amount shown.
  • it says im getting an amount back but then says i owe so much and then says how much im getting how do i know if that amount was deducted fromthe orignal amount im getting
  • ya same hear bud an i dont know why... federal taxes iv paid $428.. federal taxes i owe -$131.. an it says my refund is $297. i dont know why i owe that $131... anyone?
  • You do not owe "more". That amount is your total taxes on your income. Your covered by your withholding of $428. You are getting a refund of the difference. $297. I explained this in the answer above.
  • Well how come im only getting $9.00 back? $596.90 was my federal withholding & then it said i owe $588 so now im only getting $9.00!!!!!
  • Can't be answered without knowing how your taxable income was determined.
WHY IS IT TELLING ME I OWE FEDERAL TAXES BUT I  AM STILL GETTING A REFUND
  • Do you not see the answer above? I'm curious to know if for some reason answers are not on the screen. Lots of users are apparently missing them.
  • can you tell me how they calculated that I owed this Federal tax amount?
  • After you enter all our info, income, deductions, etc., your taxable income is used to find your total tax for the year...... The total tax you are required to pay is subtracted from the total amount you had paid during the year. If the result is plus, you get a refund of the extra amount you paid. If the result is negative, you must pay more.
  • mine says federal paid, plus credits is 2386 then below it it says federal taxes you owe -753 but its still gives me a federal refund of 2386. if i owe y not just deduct it?