Can I still claim myself if my parents declared me as an exemption through their work?

I don't know the specifics other than what I am stating, but my mother recently told me that I cannot claim myself this year even though I provided 100% of my living expenses (I'm away at college) for 2012, because any paperwork my dad filed with his employer declared me as an exemption (or a dependent) and that has to be followed through with the federal return. Is she assuming? Is any employer paperwork separate from federal? Can I still claim myself even if I've been presumed a dependent by my dads employer?
    Your mother is mistaken. If you have provided more than half of your own support you can not be claimed as anyones dependent on they're tax return. The paperwork your mom is referring to is a W-4 and all that does is tell the employer how much tax they should withhold from the check.
    • my moms provided more of my susport then me i live with her and she paid for my school and housing and food and transportation
    if my mom paid most my susport and paid my school n housing and food and transportation can she file me as a dependent and i still file taxes 
    • Yes you would be your mother's dependent. You then can file your own return but you must indicate that you are being claimed as a dependent on another return.