I got accepted by the IRS. Does this mean that they have already chcked for errors?

To process my refund mean that it has been accepted, and now they are going to send me my check? Or do they have to check further more for errors??? I don't understand my "accepted" status.

• has the IRS already checked for errors
  • Well my status said that it was accepted,approved, and it will be in my account tomorrow...that info came from the irs website not turbo tax...now like I told someone else I filed 3 weeks ago and it was accepted on the 25th, everybody situation id different so if u did everything correct and everything is.legit then don't worry just be patient
Hopefully someone else can verify this, but 'accepted' usually means it passed the IRS check for errors.  When I have had IRS errors in the past, they have shown up before getting 'accepted' status.  Once fixed, it changed to 'accepted'.

From my experience, accepted means accepted and has gone to refund/payment processing.

When you file your tax return with Turbotax it is sent to the IRS e-file system.   That IRS system does some quick checks of the return to be sure that it is in the proper format, that all SSN's are valid, that the SSN matches the name that is in the SSA data base, that no one has already filed a return with the same SSN's, etc.   It does NOT check the validity of any tax INFORMATION that you put on the tax return.  If the e-file return passes all of the checks it is ACCEPTED  (for further processing).   -- If it is rejected you can correct the errors and re-file.

The main IRS processing system then gets the return for normal processing of both e-filed and paper filed tax returns.  The main processing system checks the DATA on your return, cross checks W-2 information, etc., and issues a refund.

Two different systems.

• Although this does seem like it would make sense, it doesn't either. In prior years once a return showed an "accepted" status it means that your taxes are complete and there are no errors to be corrected - whether identity wise or other. The next step would be to process the actual return which is the procedure and time it takes to complete the entire "cash" (refund) transaction. Once your return has been accepted the IRS does have up to three years to audit you and request changes in the future, but probably is not going to happen after being accepted for the year filed. This year is different however, and perhaps there is a chance that for some reason your status can be accepted and then returned, but I'm willing to say it's not likely. The Jan 30th date is set for the actually processing date to start sending out tax refunds to direct deposits (or mailing paper checks).

Again, this is what I got out of the discussion boards and IRS.gov website and I might be completely off. I am thinking "accepted" means that on Wed they will go through the list of efiles already in their system and start the refund transactions as quickly as possible (hopefully it will be quickly).
    • its hard to say wat accepted means. when its processing does it mean processsing for refund or processing s in making sure the numbers match up
    • Both - as pointed out above "accepted" only means that they HAVE it.  "Processing" is everything that they do after that, including issuing a refund within a few days, to doing a full audit that can last for months (fortunately only a very few returns are subjected to a full audit).
    • Well i was accepted on the 25th and i went to where is my refund on today and it stated that i was accepted, approved, and my refund should be in my account on friday the 1st. So if you have filed chech the irs website where is my refund
    • mine just says processing
    • It also depends when.u filed and if anything change from what you had last year...I filled mines.png the 17th and it was accepted early on the 25th
    • What Happens After the IRS Accepts My Return?

Print this article

How to Know that Your Tax Return Has Been Accepted
          If Your Tax Return Is Accepted Does That Mean the IRS Is Finished Processing It?

Confirmation

Before the confirmation can be sent, however, the IRS must verify all the information on the return. This does not include the monetary information, but rather identity information such as name, birth date, and Social Security number. Once these have been confirmed the IRS sends a response letting you know the return has been received. The IRS then examines the rest of the information and sends out a refund check for the correct amount, which can take much longer.

It is also in this time frame that the IRS may decide to conduct an audit. While some audits are random, most are done because the tax return has raised red flags in particular areas with incorrect or mismatched information. Audits may also be performed on large companies or individuals that the IRS suspects of some type of financial fraud.

I

Read more: What Happens After the IRS Accepts My Return? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5515799_happens-after-irs-accepts-return.html#ixzz2JWd8h8nb
    • Everybody situation is different.I would just chill and wait I mean if everything is correct and legit on Ur end then u don't have nothing to worry about
    • very true
    "Accepted" means that the IRS has received it in. All the error checking will be done on the 30th when "processing" starts.
    • First let me say thank you for responding.

Ok both answers were a little different. Accepted means that they will check further for errors, and if everything goes well it will go to refund/payment? Or has the error check been done by the IRS, and processing means that they are going to process the payment? Or is it both? lol I am so confursed.
    • well accepted means that everything is ok with the system you have used, but it also has to go through the processing system with the IRS to make sure everything is correct. The IRS doesn't start looking at them until the 30th of this month and i wouldn't except nothing until 14 to 21 days later but it could come sooner.
    • Accepted means that the IRS has electronically accepted your tax return.  Thus meaning so far, no errors were found such as wrong SS#.   On January 30, 2013, go to IRS.gov and click on "Where's My Refund" and fill in the few boxes such as your 1) adjusted gross income 2) filing status 3) your expected refund amount and then the system will tell you the status and when your check will be deposited.  If they say processing, just check once per day for a status.  As long as you have a date for your refund to be deposited, you are good to go :)    Check your bank account if you selected  to have your refund direct deposited  in to your bank account.  GOOD LUCK!!!!   Hope this helped.