State return rejected because federal return rejected? But Turbotax says that my Federal return is still pending. What the?

Turbotax just notified me that my State return was rejected and I checked for the error. The error is that my federal return was rejected.  However, Turbotax shows my federal return as filed, but pending.  I don't think it's even been considered yet because of the forms I have to file with it.  How can my State return be rejected for an error that does not exist?  Any input?  Thanks!
  • I got the same message. I think it may be that it will not accept state till federal is accepted. im going to resubmit state once federal is accepted. Any one else have any other ideas?
  • same here
  • I wish I'd known that, or been alerted to it by TT or the State, I would have waited to file.
  • i was told it was because some of my personal information was incorrect and to call IRS. all i can think is that i used my married last name and i still have my maiden last name on my ss card
  • I got the exact same response....I qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit and now I hear you have to wait until mid Feb. to file for that credit because the IRS has to update their systems...Not sure what's going on.
  • Same here
  • @bryan.bylski, i have the same educational credit on my returns and my state was rejected but me federal is still pending.  did you call tt or irs to find out you have to wait until mid feb?
  • Same thing is happening to me
  • Same here. I just got the same message. Not sure what is going on and I hope someone is able to answer this question soon. It seems a great deal of people have this same issue and in many different states. I am in OK. I will keep checking back to see if there is an answer.  However I am not going to fix my state yet not until I know what the reason for the rejection the first.
  • I think I'm beginning to agree with those that believe this error is due to the IRS not accepting e-filed returns until Wednesday. TT should have "held" all the state filings until the IRS was accepting filings. This is annoying. I would like at least  a partial refund of the money I spent on TT.
  • @stephyarm, I found this link in another thread similar to this: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013 According to it education credits begin filing in mid Feb. I'm not sure though, waiting for TT support to respond. It makes sense though as to why many people are having this similar issue. Too bad no one knew of this before they filed...
  • I just received the same error.. Has anyone found out anything?

Kristina - Indiana
  • Same thing happend to me, i refiled just now so lets hope for the best. I hope its not due to qualifying for the american opportunity credit
  • @bryan.bylski, thanks a bunch for your response! i was just browsing through the irs.gov site to try to find out what is going on!  and i agree, we should have been made aware of this issue so it could have been avoided!
  • Everyone needs to read the publication that bryan.bylski just posted about efile rejections! It may have the answer you're looking for!
  • I dont think that is entirely the prob. I did not have any of those credits.
  • well i suppose everyone is going thru the same thing tonite. got text message and immediately jumped to fix the problem, resubmitted and there it was..my daughter didn't get a message like this but i did and we did ours the exact day within the hour..everyone's correct. TT should have a notification in regards to this mess..have a good nite everyone.
  • I am thinking that it is since the federal isn't starting their refunds until 1/30/13 may be the issue.  I am more than aggravated because I waited 45 minutes or so to do the online chat.  The person I got, I believe, doesn't know English and his answer to everything is to call the IRS.  I am posting our conversation here...it is almost funny, but it is scary that this is the people that have access to our personal information and social security numbers.  Check out his last response...it is in quotations and perfect English...huh?  I have used turbotax for years and thought it was very reputable, but I am wondering now...
            Welcome to Intuit!
            All agents are busy assisting other customers.
        Me
            I received an email saying that my Georgia state return was rejected because my federal had been rejected. Your site shows my federal as pending. What do I need to do?
            Interaction alerting 04_Omar S.
            04_Omar S has joined the conversation.
        04_Omar S
            Thank you for contacting Turbo Tax, my name is Omar. To give you the most exceptional support regarding your issue today, may I please take a brief minute or two to pull up your information and review your question?
            How is your day coming along?
            Are you there?
        Me
            Sure, I am here
            Are you still here?
        04_Omar S
            If i was you i will contact the IRS and ask them what is the problem because they may can explain it and go in dept with you on the reasons why it was rejected.
        Me
            My federal is still pending. The reasoning given by turbotax is that the state is rejected because the federal was rejected. From what I understand federal won't start with them until Jan 30th
        04_Omar S
            Ok i will still contact the IRS and see if they are going to re-look at your state return and also follow up with my federal return.
            Your federal return
        Me
            Ok
        04_Omar S
            Is there anything else i can assist you with?
        Me
            No I just don't understand...the feds haven't even looked at it, but turbotax is saying the state was rejected because the feds rejected theirs...it is still pending...feds won't even let me pull anything up on mine because they haven't started on them.
            I think it is a turbotax issue
        04_Omar S
            Would you like for me to look at your E-file?
        Me
            That's ok, I will give it a few days for the feds to accept or reject them resubmit...maybe it is that the state wants the feds to accept it first
        04_Omar S
            “I am sorry that we weren’t able to get this taken care of to your satisfaction. I hope that you agree that I did do everything I could for you today, even though we weren’t able to come to a resolution. Please keep in mind that you will be receiving a survey in the next 24 hours regarding my customer service and my ability to help you today. I would appreciate any feedback that you have to offer to help me better assist customers in the future”

Me
            Ok thanks
        04_Omar S
            have a great night?
        Me
            You too.
  • I got the same message hew, I thought something was wrong on my end.
  • It obviously doesn't answer or explain it for everyone's specific situation, but I believe some people on this post filed these credits too early. Like I did.
  • Same here
  • Me too!
  • agreed. i filed with the lifetime learning credit so this does apply to me but regardless of the issue, tt should be able to resolve them or at least give us some incite on what's going on since we are paying them for their service.
  • SO... I refilled my state because I didn't need to change anything. I called TT and talked to a person who wasn't a tax person he was technical support and then waited 30 minutes for him to try and "find" someone who was a tax specialist to connect me to...
  • This was actually my first time, I feel crazy though because I should have been claiming it, only that the school always says it not important.  So this time I did plug in that information.  But I think it is just because the Federal taxes wont process until Jan 30.
  • I'm glad I wasn't the only one, its kind of weird my state refund is getting rejected since this year they noticed they overpaid me so I'm actually getting back 0$ dollars from the state, anyone else getting back 0$ from the NJ STATE REFUND?
  • I just got rejected from my state because the federal was rejected but it still said pending so I had to go thru and delete the learning credit and resend it..its a pain..now my refund is much less
  • Man I just got the same text about my state being rejected because federal was rejected and it still shows my fed pending? what is really going on here with TT?
  • Same here, she just gave me a number to call the IRS.
  • This is weird because my friend got the learning credit and his was accepted last week?  Mines said rejected too and I don't know why because everything is correct
  • I have the same problem I own my own business and I spent the weekend calling schools and rooting around online to find the "digital" tax forms so I could file early! First step was wait thanks to our government not being able to make a decision on fiscal cliff... then it was you state was rejected because my fed was reject although I TT shows pending. I have two kids in college and applied for the learning credit but did not qualify so I am not sure why I was rejected ... YOu still need to fill out form even if you will not get the credit and now that credit may be causing me the pain of not being able to file!!!! This is very frustrating!
  • why would you do that? just wait don't screw yourself out of money.
  • I agree, how does my state return get rejected before the even start filing? Theu shouldve wait til wednesday to submitted all returns.
  • http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013. The link does not mention anything about the learning credit. I had the same issue, got a  text message and an email stating my state was rejected due to my fed being rejected. Long story short, log onto TT and fix the non existing (invisible) error and resubmitted. Now both state and fed are pending. Let's see what happens next.
  • Here is my online chat session with a TT rep about this issue.  I really can't make anything out of what he was telling me:

Welcome to Intuit!
    Sharon Williams
    Hello. Is anyone there?
    Interaction alerting 04_Guy M.
    04_Guy M has joined the conversation.
    04_Guy M
    Thank you for contacting TurboTax Technical Support. Please give me a moment to go over your question and I will be right with you.
    It seems you are have an issue with your state being rejected, Correct?
    Sharon Williams
    Yes. The reason is because my federal was rejected. However, my federal is still pending. I went ahead and refiled my state.
    My federal was never rejected. Has been in the pending status since I transmitted yesterday.
    04_Guy M
    Ok it seems that your State was reviewed before your federal causing this issue. You have re-submitted it, Correct?
    Sharon Williams
    Correct, I resubmitted.
    So will it keep being rejected until the 30th when IRS starts accepting them?
    04_Guy M
    Ok, so it is waiting to be received by the IRS and it should go through with no problem this time. They must have reviewed your state but not your state but not your federal causing this error. The IRS starts officially processing returns on the 30th you are correct.
    Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?
    Sharon Williams
    If my federal is delayed because of some of the forms how will that affect my state?
    04_Guy M
    What forms are delayed?
    Sharon Williams
    I believe it is 4562- (the one for property depriciation)Or is there a delay in that one?
    04_Guy M
    Ok let me check on that for you.
    That form is now available.
    Sharon Williams
    So IRS will be able to process returns that have that form?
    04_Guy M
    Yes
    Anything else I can help you with?
    Sharon Williams
    So if my state gets rejected again for the same reason do I resubmit it?
    04_Guy M
    It should not get rejected again but for some reason if it does, you can contact us again and we will be glad to help you from there.
    Sharon Williams
    Okay, thank you for your help.
    04_Guy M
    Your very welcome. You may be receiving an E-mail in the next 24 hours with a survey grading my performance. If you could give me a 9 or a 10 it would be very much appreciated.
  • The only thing I got  out of that was, "please give me a great review for my effort" for answering absolutely nothing concrete.
  • They are saying that the state was received before federal was accepted. TT should of held both state and federal like they stated till 1/30
  • Sry, therefore it was rejected
  • I totally agree with you. ^^  I'm still just as confused as ever.  All I could make of it was that they reviewed the state before federal and that's why it was rejected.
  • Yeah I know... they dont even realize how much frustration they have caused.. what am I saying they probably dont even understand u
  • same here.........will not use turbo tax next year because I didn't find any errors either.  I talked with someone from turbo tax today and she had no idea what she was doing, BIG WASTE OF TIME.
  • I clicked on your link and found that is does mention the Lifetime Learning Credit. Under the first paragraph it tells you the form that is being delayed, which is "form 8863", which is the Lifetime Learning Credit and American Opportunity Credit.
  • I have used TT for I don't know how many years and I have never had any problem with them.  Everything has always went so smooth.  I believe there was one year my state was even accepted before federal.  I don't know what's going on this year.  And then I have read posts about some already getting accepted by federal early(because of some test batch they ran) It's just so frustrating and all you can really do is wait and see.....
  • I just hope everything turns out ok.. im sure several are like me and depend on their refunds and they are not supposed to be delayed bc of something they did or didn't do.
  • My sister filed an hour after I did and hers has been accepted!?! This is absolutely absurd, not to mention, completely unprofessional.  Apparently hundreds or possibly thousands of TT customers get an urgent, action needed message, late at night and when we attempt to inquire on the rejected~action needed message, TT not only has no idea what the he*l we're talking about, the representative I got spoke broken English at best!!!  I think we all need to demand a refund for the overpriced, and very poor quality service we've been provided.  I will be filing a complaint tomorrow with my attorney general's office!!  I work out of state so I had to pay two state TT e-filing fees, only to get 2 separate emails that both states were rejected!
  • Same here....I re-submited it just now.
  • yeah. i just went thru and looked thru my fed return after getting this message as well. and i think i really just messed my return up. =\
  • I filed mine on January 4th and the irs accepted them on Thursday last week, and I had the educational credit on mine, so that can't be right
  • Me too. I'm in Idaho and just got the text saying Idaho state rejected because Federal did. Last year it did this also and the IRS said it was stalling tactic. It's a possibility. Who knows. I would attempt to fix it and keep an eye out to see if the problem resolves itself.
  • Wow same thing happen to me thought I was the only one
  • after 1/30 and my taxes are accepted how long before my money will be deposit to my bank account
  • Add me to the list as well there should have at least been some kind of message telling us to wait to submit them because all of the extra stress is so unneeded right now I am already paranoid enough about filing my taxes I personally don't enjoy getting scary messages in my inbox about my taxes being rejected thank you very much!! ;(
  • If the IRS is not starting ot check returns until January 30th, how is it that returns are already rejected on the 29th. That doesn't make any sense at all. I have to many issues going on to have to deal with this one too. This has never happened before, so I am hoping that it is just a mistake. I will wait to get my response from my Federal before I refile my state.
  • Thats not true i claim lifetime learning and my federal return has been accepted already.
  • Same issue, have American Opportunity Credit and had the State reject my return while Federal still says pending. Late night text message telling you that your State return was rejected does not bode well with me, especially now after seeing how many other people have the same issue. I would not refile until my Federal return has been accepted. I expect TT to issue some sort of resolve for this widespread problem because to pay for service and then have to fix errors when there are none is not up to quality standards of the only service TT provides for majority of us once a year.
  • i agree with you 100%, no one wants a rejected return. It kinda ruins your whole week until you figure out what is wrong. Im gonna try and get a hold of TT today to see what they say.
  • Same issue here...  I think it is the lifetime learner credit.
  • That would have been nice to know about the education credit before filing. I just started school last year, so I didn't even know about it. I hope that's all it is and the returns we have processed are going to be ok. Thanks for the info Bryan.
  • Same issue here in PA. Was just chatting with a TT "Expert" who said that since the IRS isn't accepting returns until the 30th, they may be being "auto"-rejected since they're early. Seems kinda dumb to me if that is the issue, why not just have them sit in Pending status in the queue?...
  • having the same issues in Ohio.. I resent it for my state .. only thing i could think was my married name was on my w2 and my single was is still on my ss.. i fixed it and resent it hopefully its fixed.. but my fed is still pending and my state had rejected .. i have education credit .. all i know is i spent almost 100 for TT to file and i freakin hope everything is correct..
  • I got this message yesterday around 5pm est....logged in, resubmitted. At 1am, I got another text, but no email. Checked my taxes, and it showed they had already been filed, could not resubmit. Woke up this morning, with the text AND email...OKay, now I have heart palpitations from the stress of trying to file a dang tax return! I went through all the process again, and now it says both are pending. I think it is really a glitch, or they are rejecting the early filed returns! I have read of many on here having the same issue!
  • Same with me. I clicked on fix it and it said state was rejected because federal was rejected. But I did not get anything from federal saying it was rejected. I just resubmitted and both returns show pending
  • I got the same message that my state got rejected and federal still pending. Hmmmmmm, fixed errors.  Resubmitted. We'll see what happens.
  • Same Issue. State of OK. Not much you can do at this point but wait on the Fed. I wouldn't try refiling your State just yet. I also when through TT chat, they seemed confused. My guess is like everyone else's, some State returns are just getting bounced, seems like a good number have the Educational or Lifetime learning credits, but this would not cause a rejection, even if the processing of these credits were delayed. I think that is just a coincidence.
  • I received the same text message, I don't understand why TT has not sent an additional message updating eveyone as to the problem and what to do next...they must know what is going on and the growing concern. I have used TT in the past, but I will NOT use it in the future!
  • another reason I think this is a Turbo Tax issue is that when you google *state tax return rejected*,no other tax sites have comments in their communities in regards to this issue!
  • I am having a very similar issue and I believe turbo tax says something to the effect of missing or incorrect information. It's been rejected 3 or five times. I'm about ready to strangle turbo tax.
  • i too qualify for that credit do u talk to someone from the irs because my state return was rejected however my federal still says pending
  • Yeah I dont even have the 8863 in my return! I do have the depreciation and ammortization form.
  • I just logged onto the IL State Revenue site. There is s a big announcement on the top that says they are following the Feds and not accepting returns until the 30th. That is probably what the error is.
  • They should be holding not rejecting these returns. That's ridiculous. It should not take weeks to fix an issue with a form. IRS FTW!
  • So sounds like people who's returns got accepted w/8863 are the ones that got screwed. They are going to be "held for processing". If you got rejected that is good. You can take it out and refile, then file an amendment down the road. If you got accepted..you have to wait.
  • i had a very simple return this year. i only had 1 W-2 and  the 1098-T form. im going to wait till my federal is accepted before i refile my state
    i hope everything works out good. this is the first year i have used turbo-tax and i was stressed about it in the first place then this happened. now i really just do not know what to do
  • For now just wait until your Fed gets processed. I am 33 and have been using TT since I first started doing my taxes in 1998. I assure you there is nothing to be stressed about. These things happen. If your Fed gets rejected it will tell you exactly why and then go from there.
  • ok thank you that makes me feel a little better to know this happens from time to time and turbo tax is a good service to go with
  • Okay, I just got off the phone with  a TT rep.  He said that there was error in the server and that's why these returns have been rejected.  I refiled my state yesterday and he said it shouldn't do it again because the error in the server has been corrected.  So, if you can believe that (and that's a big IF) than they should go through if you refile it. (According to him)
  • People that is filing the 8863 form has to wait til mid-February.IRS has to update computers because some folks was filing false info on form. Most taxes was rejected because IRS not accepting to JAN. 30 ,so wait til in the morning and resubmit. I hope this helped lol..(www.irs.gov)
  • i have the american opportunity credit my state was already accepted but my federal still pending so if they rejected your state it has to be for some other problem not the federal delays
  • Every state is different...
  • My federal was accepted on Saturday but my state was rejected yesterday.  And when I went to fix the problem TT said there wasn't any and had me resubmit it.  Not sure what the deal is!!
  • Did your state reject status give a reason?
  • They need to send out a statement to everyone experiencing this issue..... not how I planned to spend my Tuesday morning, wondering when they will get their shit together.
  • Agreed. A Mass email would be have been nice.
  • I have none of the issues or documents mentioned.  Being in an IT work environment, I know that servers going haywire can cause all kinds of issues!  If TT has a server or servers on the blink, then our rejection notices (mine was from GA) might be a technical glitch, rather than a real issue.  When I went into my return, there were no errors to be fixed, and both returns were pending.  I completed a return for a friend 3 days after I submitted mine, and her federal was accepted yesterday - got the email at the same time I got my GA rejection.  I'm leaving everything alone until  I see if any emails come in after the 1/30 date.  My GA return won't let me re-file, anyway!  So, I might as well be patient.
  • TT owes all of us some answers ASAP!!
  • i got the same message i just resent mine in
  • Thank you so much for the guidance!!
  • mine state rejected mine also, said federal was rejected, but it says "pending". I did the error check and it said "no errors". I am waiting for my federal to be rejected (instead of pending) I am going to send it again. I have checked everything and can't find an error.
  • Mine was rejected too but Federal still says pending....
  • I just got an email from tt stating the mesage i got about my stse refund beinging rejected was an error. There was some sort of emailing mistake or some glitch in the system. I was told to disregard the message and resubmit my state return if i havent already done so....
  • no my state was accepted but my federal was rejected
  • Has anyone got their Fed back yet? Still pending here.
  • Why do I NOT see anyone from TurboTax on this forum answering all of these concerns? Getting more and more irritated
  • I filed on the 17th and my state was accepted and I get it 2/6 but my federal is processing
  • Go on Michigan.gov/taxes
  • I just got my federal in my bank today but they rejected my state. my email states it might be because the software was updated since I filed. Anyone have any ideas? I refiled mystate... so Im back at submitted
I had the exact same thing, just got off the phone with TT, rep had me refile while on phone, nothing was changed.  She said it "may" be a TT problem.
  • I was told the only form that was holding up returns was the home energy credit, everything else was already in place. IRS will not start processing returns until 01/30/2013, that is why the state couldn't process theirs so they just rejected them. Little stupid but the state isn't going to do any extra work to do them their self.
  • "May"? I think it's definitely TT's fault for not "holding" state e-files until they were able to transmit federal ones.
  • I did not have the education credits or the home energy credits. I just think TT f'd up and sent the state filings too early, causing everyone to refile. Bottom line is that TT should never  have accepted filings before the 30th.
  • this is ridiculous, I just tried to talk to someone and they had NO idea about the American opportunity or if that was why my state return was rejected.... I am NOT satisfied with TT.
  • Me either jenniferkerfoot1, and look above to read my conversation.  They outsource their customer service to another country.  He can't even write correct English!  I have used TT for years, but this may be my last!  I will just paper file so I know the IRS gets my social security number and personal information instead of some other country or someone that is not professional at all!
  • i feel the same way about outsourcing my friend............no place for it in our situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm disgusted... That was a scary text to get in the middle of the night too!! ACTION REQUIRED lol!
  • I definitely agree didn't like that text msg at all
  • Turbo Tax wouldn't even talk to me... My state was rejected, TT said I had no errors when I revisited and now I have to mail my state taxes, because the state won't except e-file unless e-file with federal at same time... THEN WHY USE TURBOTAX ???
  • This is absolutely absurd, not to mention, completely unprofessional.  Apparently hundreds or possibly thousands of TT customers get an urgent, action needed message, late at night and when we attempt to inquire on the rejected~action needed message, TT not only has no idea what the he*l we're talking about, the representative I got spoke broken English at best!!!  I think we all need to demand a refund for the overpriced, and very poor quality service we've been provided.  I will be filing a complaint tomorrow with my attorney general's office!!  I work out of state so I had to pay two state TT e-filing fees, only to get 2 separate emails that both states were rejected!
  • Yep, I received the exact same message.  I filed for Ohio.  TT should have known about this and should not be offering to file both state and federal at the same time if the reason our state is getting rejected is because the federal has not been accepted.  UGH!!! I want a state filing refund from TT!!! And why isn't anyone from TT addressing this issue yet?  At the very least they should already be on here explaining what is going on.  FRUSTRATING!!!!!
  • I thought I had done something wrong!! I got an email jsut as I was going to bed last night that my state was rejected. But when I went back on to correct it, there was nothing to correct, it just said it would refile for free. There was something in there that said the Federal was rejected and thefore, so was the state. If it was too early to file, I would have preferred to be notified before I filed, not after. I could have spent more time looking for credits for my so in college. Not using Turbo Tax next year.
Take a chill pill everyone! If your Fed is pending and your State is rejected due to your Fed. The logical thing to do is wait, they don't process until tomorrow. But shame on you TT for allowing such stressful text messages and emails to go out in the middle of the night. Not cool! 

• Same situation here, however, Virginia is making me file by mail now....it won't let me resubit electronically.....um I think some of our "filing fee" should be returned........feels like TT is screwing the backbone of this country -- enjoy your nice leather chairs and big offices owners of TT......This is one customer who is NOT happy....and will NOT be using your services again!....Heres hoping the federal goes through.....
  • Same thing here. I refilled. If u fill twice(first time then came back rejected then i filled just not to "fix" changes) will the IRS flag my return?

Rae- ALABAMA
  • now* to fix*
I'm so glad everybody else is having the same problem as I am. I'm in IN...I started to freak out. Images of Wesley Snipes went through my head. I saw that they don't start un the 30th; I'm assuming that's the problem.
This is absolutely absurd, not to mention, completely unprofessional.  Apparently hundreds or possibly thousands of TT customers get an urgent, action needed message, late at night and when we attempt to inquire on the rejected~action needed message, TT not only has no idea what the he*l we're talking about, the representative I got spoke broken English at best!!!  I think we all need to demand a refund for the overpriced, and very poor quality service we've been provided.  I will be filing a complaint tomorrow with my attorney general's office!!  I work out of state so I had to pay two state TT e-filing fees, only to get 2 separate emails that both states were rejected!
  • I echo all that you have said... and I'm sure someone could boil an egg on my head right about now this is so amazingly ridiculous.  I try not to get mad at companies for bad customer service when the root cause is government though...  I'm not going to blame United for the TSA either... this inefficiency and confusion originates with our lovely masters at the IRS.
I'm glad (but not happy for anyone) that I'm not the only one experiencing this.  I thought I'd messed up the return.  But I agree with OPs that TT should have held the State until the fed was ready to review.  Now, we kind of look like fools submitting and re-submitting and not knowing what to do with our returns there are too many unknowns this year.  And I've never had a problem with a return and using TT.  I'm going to punish them by not filing at all next year! :)  Just kidding.  I'm claiming several of the credits listed on the "processing delay" list as I can imagine LOTS of people are--mine are mortgage interest and depreciation--how many thousands of Americans have at least the mortgage interest credit they're claiming on the return and who will now be waiting for who knows how long before their return will be processed and get a refund if their entitled to one.  I was depending on my refund to make much needed repairs to my car, but instead I've had to resort to borrowing money from my parents (very grateful for that).  I'm not someone who necessarily depends on my refund every year, but it shouldn't matter if I do or not, it's MY money that the fed/state says that I'm entitled to, why make me look like a desperate sick French prostitute selling my hair and teeth and begging for change on the street before you'll give it to me.  I want to be one of those happy, dancing people in the Jackson/Hewitt commercial.  I wanna dance on a table!  Wait, what was I talking about?
  • Love it!!!  Your post has me laughing out loud in a room by myself at 12:40am.  I appreciate your sense of humor through some very aggravating circumstances. I agree with you, I'm punishing them next year and not filing at all.  ;-)
  • Your killing me!! In all seriousness, I filed the educational opportunity credit, and my taxes were accepted by the irs last Thursday, so It has to be something else
  • Someone posted that the IRS has stopped accepting State returns with educational credits until mid February....that is not right. If we all knew that this would have happen, we would have just waited until mid Feb to file. This is ridiculous and should not be allowed!!!!
I also received this notification. I had a fairly simple return; consisted of (2) W2's, a 1099-G (UE), and a 1098-T (Tuition Statement).

I'm thinking (hoping!) it is just a gliche in the system since the acceptance date was pushed back. I also just resubmitted mine.. However, TurboTax showed no errors on my return.

Normally, State returns are accepted/processed fairly quickly. I usually have mine back within a week from my filing date. Federal normally takes two weeks to the day I filed.

We'll all just have to wait & see ~ Hoping for the best!
    Why is everyone blaming TT for this? This is an IRS issue. The IRS just released this info yesterday, no way for TT to know at the time some of us filed that his would happen. 
      I just want to jump on the bandwagon...i have school credits coming as well and was just rejected on my state return but my federal is still pending...I am hearing that those of us claiming education credit(s) it will be even longer before we get our returns. I would love a refund on my money to TT as this is not mentioned and now I am out the fees as well as the wait time when I could have used the money and time elsewhere or saved it. Took a big chunk out of my school time because I wanted to file early when I could have waited or completed a chunk at a time.... I will live and learn and I will know better next year.
      • I don't believe you're out the money. According to TT your filed info is saved so all you have to do is refile it when the appropriate time is (mid Feb. I believe). Refiling it at another time will not cost you anymore money if you paid to file it in the first place.
      • Hi, I filed my taxes through  turbo tax January 4 and I used the educational credit, and Thursday, I got an email saying my return was accepted by the IRS, so that can't be it, It might just be that the Federal wasn't excepted yet?
      • No longer accepting educational credits until mid February,.  Please see link. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1546464-people-claiming-form-8863
      • I had educational credits and I was accepted on the 26th. Nothing has changed with that for me as of now.
      • Your refund will be on hold until mid February.  Irs stop accepting for now babtgirl
      • Ok well I will keep you all updated.
      Hey I am in Indiana as well I thought I was the only one that was having this issue I feel a lot better knowing that it was not just something  did.

You can refile using another provider and then do amended return when irs starts processing.  You will have money now and then money again 6 to 8  weeks  later.
        I filed my return on the 4th of January, and it was approved by the irs Thursday and I have the educational credit on mine, so that can't be it
        The reason everyone was rejected was due to the fact that federal is not accepting returen until Jan 30.  If you submitted it early then federal rejected it then state will automatic rejected it. 
        • That isn't the issue here. Even if it is true, the concern is that our federal ones were either accepted or are still pending, but the state one came back as rejected based on the federal, which hasn't even processed yet.
        • Both my returns are accepted
        I had the problem with the State (WI), but my federal was accepted.
        • Same here my State return is still being rejected but I had to file by mail for my federal.
        • Everything went through Fed wise for me but state was rejected. I just tried to re-file, I hope that works.
        • my federal was accepted.. But after a week my state still shows pending.
        • State was rejected on 1/27/2013 fed was and still is pending. The thing is I am a Tax preparer the IRS never informed us that anything was wrong with the education credits so our refunds that was bounced back was confusing us at first.
        This happened to me as well! I have a NJ and a PA state return and only the PA got rejected. I don't want to resubmit until the 30th just to be safe.  I also did the american opportunity credit so I have no idea what is messing everything up, it seems like everyone commenting has the same problems. I'm kind of pissed that I didn't use taxact like I did in the prior years, turbotax is crazy expensive in comparison.

I have found another link that better explains what the deal is with form 8863! Maybe the IRS can get some of the money we are wasting in the middle east and allow them to implement coding changes more efficiently. I hope people having to pay get a two month extension! since people expecting a refund are forced to wait!

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/News/20137258.htm

• It also looks like the Mortgage Interest Form will be a problem so that would affect much of the population. Meaning many people will not be able to file until late march if they are claiming mortgage interest! What the heck is wrong with the IRS? They need better funding and privatization like they did with the DMV in my STATE!
        Same thing happened to me, and my return was very simple. 
          I just got a text stating my Ohio state return was rejected, login to Turbo Tax to fix, when I logged in it said my state return was rejected because my Federal was rejected but yet my Federal says pending. I do have school credits on mine, but I am hoping it was just rejected because of a stalling tactic. When I hit the fix it now button, it took me straight to "okay the errors have been fixed, please re-file state return," I shouldn't have any errors anyways. I was really hoping for a smooth year.......what now?!
          • Exact same thing happened to me. I think i might just file my state by mail.
          • Same thing happened to me. I looked at the release dates for the forms and they all say they should be released by 2/8/2013, lets hope thats the case and we get accepted and not have to wait til the end of the month. Im also in Ohio
          Im in the same boat here in Oregon. Gonna wait it out for a couple days and go from there! 
            Same thing here in NY. State rejected due to the rejection from federal. 
              I have received the same message!  State rejected because
              Of federal, but no errors!!!  What gives?!!
                OK so, this is the easiest answer. If you filed with any of the following IRS forms, you won't be able to file until late February or March. The more specific dates to be given later.

The following tax forms will be accepted by the IRS in late February or into March after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems. A specific date will be announced in the near future.

• Form 3800 General Business Credit
                • Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels
                • Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property)
                • Form 5074 Allocation of Individual Income Tax to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
                • Form 5471 Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations
                • Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
                • Form 5735 American Samoa Economic Development Credit
                • Form 5884 Work Opportunity Credit
                • Form 6478 Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel
                • Form 6765 Credit for Increasing Research Activities
                • Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit
                • Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations
                • Form 8820 Orphan Drug Credit
                • Form 8834 Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Credit
                • Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses
                • Form 8844 Empowerment Zone and Renewal Community Employment Credit
                • Form 8845 Indian Employment Credit
                • Form 8859 District of Columbia First-Time Homebuyer Credit
                • Form 8864 Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit
                • Form 8874 New Markets Credits
                • Form 8900 Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit
                • Form 8903 Domestic Production Activities Deduction
                • Form 8908 Energy Efficient Home Credit
                • Form 8909 Energy Efficient Appliance Credit
                • Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
                • Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
                • Form 8912 Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds
                • Form 8923 Mine Rescue Team Training Credit
                • Form 8932 Credit for Employer Differential Wage Payments
                • Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit
                So back paddle TT, back paddle away!!!!
                  • I have the same issue as well.
                  I got the same text message here in Virginia TY owe us.
                    I live in New York and the reason I had the rejection error message was because I deducted a technology expense.
                      My state refund got accept last Monday and federal yesterday
                      • And my federal got rejected last Friday I fix the problem and two days later accept so good luck all and hope we all get them back in the near future
                      It would cause state to reject.  Please see my link and then you will know why states will reject. http://mytaxwise.blogspot.com/2013/01/irs-efile-news-delayed-processing-of.html?m=1
                      • I received confirmation that my Fed return was accepted but my State return was rejected.  Reason: Singature name or Date is missing or invalid.  Turbo Tax apparently walked me through "fix my errors" however I didn't have to change anything and TT stated is was corrected and I resubmitted.  Still waiting to hear if they are accepted or not.
                      • I just spoke with a tax expert and was told that anyone claiming any Education Credits among other credits, can't file until mid-February if you want those credits. I faced the same issue with my State return being rejected and Federal still pending. Either way, the IRS won't accept either return if you have any of the credits on there that can't be processed yet.
                      • My Federal Return was accepted, it was my state that was returned for Signature or date missing or invalid
                      • It remains to be seen whether our state ones were rejected because of timing or because of the education credit not yet being accepted by the IRS. I'd say the best thing for everyone to do is to simply refile their state rejection tomorrow after the IRS starts accepting them and see what happens. If it gets kicked back again for the same issue, it narrows it down to a TT glitch with state filing or the education credit explanation which leads us to refile one or both in mid February when that form is accepted. The reason I believe everyone is confused is because if it truly was the 8863, most believe our federal one should have already been rejected as such BEFORE the state one, not vise versa.
                      yeah i got the same message. i think i am just going to wait for the federal to be accepted as well.
                      • I got the same message State Return Rejected , I refiled and now both are in pending
                      I actually had the same thing happen to me. I logged in and spoke to an agent on the chat and got my money back for the software. 
                        drrylballard
                        The same happened to me . My fed return was rejected due to my son's ss# being incorrect although it  was the same on last year's TT. I resubmitted on the 26th. now my state was rejected last night the 28th again, so i just resubmitted and i hoping for the best.
                        • Same here. I just came from the SS Office after I got the message from Turbo Tax to find out why the IRS said that my childs name and SS# do not match with theirs when it's the same that I've used for years.  SS told me that everything was fine.  I don't know what's going on.  I just want my money.
                        This doesn't make any sense at all!  So does this mean that tomorrow our federal taxes are inevitably going to be rejected as well?  I also don't understand why they would reject the returns instead of holding them until they are ready to process.  What happens if the federal returns get accepted and the state ones get rejected?
                        • My guess is anyone with form 8863 will be rejected by both the Fed and State. But as others have posted. We all should wait until our Fed's our processed before doing anything. It could just be a glitch, but based on info from the IRS. and other links posted in this thread, anyone with form 8863 will be rejected.
                        • That's what I'm thinking, too.  I do have the form 8863 in my return so it does make sense.  I just hate the not knowing part of it.  In the past, if the feds are waiting on a form and you file early, they just hold it in their queue instead of rejecting them.
                        • Yeah, one would think. But somewhere there was an article stating they were just going to reject any efiles with that form. There were some that were accepted in a test run, but those will be held for processing. So really if this lines up, all we need to do is wait for the Fed to bounce back and  remove the 8863 stuff from our returns and then refile. After that we can file amendment if we still want the credit. For me it didn't make a huge difference..in fact without it I get more back from the state which equals the exact amount i would have increased on my Fed..so it evens out. Go figure. Key for right now is to be patient. don't just keep hitting refile like some of the others. Wait for the fed, go from there.
                        • Why even go that far just to make an amendment? Just wait to refile WITH the 8863 in mid-February like so many articles have mentioned as the accepted date for that form in the tax return.
                        • Some people might need money ASAP? It really just depends on your situation. But either way.
                        • I filed on the 8th of January through TT and received an email on the 25th I believe stating that they got my return accepted early (federal) and I also claimed the American Opportunity Credit just as I received last year. I hope to everything that I am not going to have to wait extra long to get my refund because they accepted my return but it has the AOC on it.
                        Hi, I called Turbo tax and they said that State has been rejected due to Federal pending until January 30th, 2013. You will recieve an email of the status of your federal tommorow, then you will have to refile State, free of charge( of course) State was rejected due to federal still pending. We all early filed to get it out of the way and this is what happened. I hope I helped you guys!!
                        • I called, Chatted online (which I don't suggest because I am convinced its a computer talking to you) and I called the Fed IRS and my State IRS (State of Michigan) and they said that Turbo Tax filed the astate of michigan return with out an accepted fed retutrn (some states need an accepted fed return to file) and that once my fed is accepted I will ned to refile the state. Since I had already refiled, they said it may or may not reject again, it depends on fast the fed return is accepted since they start processing tomorrow. However I will admit the customer service dept at turbo tax is....not very helpful.It was really the fed IRS and the State Tresuryu dept that helped me out the most.....and they seem to be fielding alot of Turbo Tax Customer Questions about this and are irate that Turbo Tax is saying its a glitch on the feds system.
                        • I called the irs too and the irs rep. said the federal is still pending because it want be process till tomorrow. State was filed too early and can only wait so long for federal. Everyone who filed earlier and are still pending should recieve response tomorrow then if it is accepted  refile state. And I live WI. So Cristie was right!
                        • I got the same email this morning, I went ahead and re-sent my state (GA). The fed is still pending and my husband got the American Opportunity Credit.  Hope they don't send it back again.
                        • yeah me too I am going to wait till tomarrow to do it again and see what happens I may wait until feb 1 cause I am not liking this reject thing.
                        Just got an email from TT saying the State Rejections were an error on their part. I'm still concerned about the impact of the Education credits, so I will still wait until my fed is accepted before re-sending my State through. 
                        • I just got the same message.
                        • I haven't received that e-mail yet. This is all so frustrating!
                        • Resubmit your forms everybody! Ready 1-2-3! Olay!
                        • I just did and I guess other people were too because right after I got the msg that I had successfully e-file and to save my documents I was kicked off the site due to a TT error. lol  Those seem to be going around this season!
                        • I know, I was going back over everything today worried making sure everything was ok SMH on TurboTax
                        • The education credits are not included on the mid February list, you can file just as everyone else would. It is home energy credits, depreciation and business credits that have to wait.
                        • Yes it is, it the very first one, but its at the top seperate from the list, jsut look above the list.

I just received an email from TurboTax a few minutes ago stating:

Dear TurboTax Customer:

You recently received this rejection message from us: "This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority rejected the federal return."  This was a processing error on our part - no change to your state return is needed.  Please resubmit your state return for processing, if you have not done so already.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

The TurboTax Electronic Filing Center

So I refiled my state return so we shall see.

I also got my state rejected, with my federal pending, and also just recieved the email from turbo saying the rejections were an error on their part.... i think i will wait to see when/if the federal gets accepted, to resubmit my state ???

Its odd though that my federal has been pending since the 24th, but my boyfriend who also filed with TT (on the 24th) had his federal accepted yesterday, along with his state. So I dont know why everyone says they are waiting till the 30th? - His was already accepted.
                            I had the same thing and Turbo Tax just sent me a message that it was a technical error on their part and to refile. They accidentally sent that message out. Nothing is wrong with your return so just refile it... Hope this helps!
                              FYI...

IRS form that 1040 filers can begin filing in mid-February

Taxpayers using this form can begin filing their tax returns in mid-February after the IRS updates its processing systems.

• Form 8863 Education Credits
                              List of IRS forms that 1040 filers can begin filing in late February or into March 2013

• Form 3800 General Business Credit
                              • Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
                              • Form 5884 Work Opportunity Credit
                              • Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit
                              • Form 8820 Orphan Drug Credit
                              • Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses
                              • Form 8845 Indian Employment Credit
                              • Form 8874 New Markets Credits
                              • I an H & R Block employee, taking the season off.  I decided to try Turbo Tax, (convient in my home).  Anyway, yes I too received the rejection message which was very odd, I then re-checked my return to find no errors.  However, after putting it on hold, I then received another email from Turbo Tax stating original message was a system error on there part, and instructed that I re-submit my return.  I mean no rush anyway State always takes some weeks if you are getting a return and Feds are not touching returns until 1/30/13.  Happy Tax Season All!!!
                              • I didn't get the email but my state return went from rejected to pending ..Juts FYI
                              • I got the EXACT same message and guess what?! IT WAS TURBOTAX'S FAULT!!! They screwed up my filing and now I have to refile....sometimes its Turbotax's own dumb fault.
                              http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-To-Accept-Returns-Claiming-Education-Credits-by-Mid-February
                              This is a link for the IRS about the education credit. This may be our problem, but I don't like that they are sending them back as rejected, it should state on hold or pending until mid Feb, something so that we know wth is going on.
                                Umm....IRS isn't even accepting returns until tomorrow, how are people saying they were accepted last week?

Either way, Turbo tax isn't a taxing expert.  They are here to simply walk us through the process.  It's OUR job to get all the information we need.

I know taxes are stressful, but it's been a few hours since most people filed...relax.  It all works out in the end.
                                • they are accepting not processing
                                • I woke up to a text saying State rejected. Went on to TT to fix and basically hit one button and they said it is fixed. Maybe just a problem since we are all proactive trying to get what is owed us. WIll see how it plays out over next 2 days since no one processing til the 30th. FIrst time ever had this problem and been using TT for over 10 years.
                                • I'm having the same issue
                                • My fiance filed two Weeks ago and his return was accepted by the irs last thursday. It said it accepted his return early. Lucky him. I woke to my federal pending and my state rejected. Im guesing its because state cant accpt returns until federal accepts it first. I also have the lifetime education credit....so im j ust waiting it out until my federal is done pending
                                • If you have not been accepted yet. File with another provider without credit then do amended later.  Almost like getting two refunds.  Lol
                                • That's what I am wondering, I spoke with the federal IRS this morning and they said they haven't accepted or rejected anything yet
                                • Mr. Yvettenesmith, aren't you concerned that you could possibly be penalized for doing that? It seems like that could end up being more trouble than its worth in the late future.
                                • Turbo tax is really annoying this year.. It appears that they updated the soft wear and didn't fix the glitches... receiveing message that my federal was rejected due to my tax payer id being used more than once. I also had a friend with the same issue. BOO turbo tax BOO... have to fine a new site next year...