1098-T: Box 2 ("Let's Verify Amounts Paid to Your School")

Hi!

So I've read through the forums and I'm not actually sure if my question is the same as some of the others posted (I'm sorry!)
This is my first 1098-T.  Box 1 is empty, but I show $10,756 in box 2.  Under box 5 (scholarships and grants), I have $2,000.
However, TurboTax then asks me...

You told us that Box 2 (tuition/expenses billed) on Your 1098-T had an amount of $10,756. Sometimes this amount differs from what you may have actually paid.

Did you actually pay $10,756 for Your tuition/expenses (including scholarship, fellowships and grants) in 2012 to UNIVERSITY ?
Yes, this is the correct amount.
No, the amount paid is different.
The reason I am SO confused is because most of my tuition ($10,756) was "paid" through loans.  So did I actually *pay* this amount??
THANK YOU!!! 

• I agree this is a confusing question.  Our box 2 is 24,000 and box 5 is 32,000.  So, which number is ACTUALLY paid to the University????
  • Box 2 is the amount of tuition and fees paid to the university. Box 5 is the amount of scholarships/grants paid to you. How much of the scholarships/grants did you use to pay Tuition/Fees (Box 2)? Most likely, you used $24,000 of Box 5 to pay the university tuition/fees...leaving you with $8,000 of excess scholarship income.
  • this doesn't make sense because my daughter did not receive 22 thousand dollars. like it states on box 5
  • How can you file 1098-T on Turbo tax.
If you paid the amount in Box 2 with loans, then the answer to the Turbo Tax question is YES.
  • And what if most of mine were paid with scholarships (reflected in box 5) and the remainder with loans and cash. What should I put as to what actually was paid to school?
  • Me too!
  • I would also love an answer to this...
  • The total amount you paid to the school -- whether it was with scholarships, cash, or loans -- is the amount you would answer.
  • What if the amount in box 2 was paid with Florida Prepaid College Funds?  Is that considered tuition paid BY ME since I paid for that plan 20 years ago?
  • I would like to add to JJPalmer22.  I have the same situation except that my tuition was paid with the Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan.  My tuition for Spring 2012 was billed in 2011 & paid in January, 2012 and my tuition for Spring 2013 was billed in 2012 & paid in 2013.  When I'm calculating the amount paid, am I correct in using ONLY the amounts I paid in 2012?
  • dskrze:  I find the same thing on my son's 1098-T.  The university shows what was billed for both 2012 and 2013.  I believe we only report what we paid in 2012.