THE IRS ASSIGNED A IP PIN NUMBER WHERE DO I PUT THIS INFO ON THE TAX RETURN

I AM USING TURBO TAX  TO E- FILE
  • I have an IP Pin number but it is still asking for the 5 digit pin and I can't get one
  • If I file a paper return, where do I put the IP PIN ?
  • Check second answer below
Where do I enter my 6-Digit Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN)?
Updated: 1/16/2013
Article ID: HOW13747

If you provided documentation to the IRS within the past 3 years that you were a victim of identity theft, the IRS will send you letter LTR4869CS sometime in November of 2012. Click to see an example.

Around mid-December, you'll get a second IRS letter – CP01F – which includes your unique 6-digit Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN). Safeguard your IP PIN and only use it to file your 2012 return.

Tip: Don't confuse the 6-digit IP PIN with the similar-sounding but unrelated 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN which is used to verify your identity for e-filing.

To enter your 6-digit IP PIN:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online or open your return in the software version.
  2. Click the Federal Taxes tab (or Personal in the Home & Business version) and then choose Other Tax Situations.
  3. In the Other Return Info section, click the Start or Update button to the right of Identity Protection PIN.
  4. On the next screen, select Yes and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If filing a paper return, enter your IP PIN in the gray box marked “Identity Protection PIN” to the right of “Spouse’s signature and occupation.”