if i am claiming my children on my taxes and my son and daughter are both filing taxes can they still claim an education credit

• Good question!  My daughter is attending college (out of state tuition, eek!) but had a job all summer... can i claim her and her education deductions on mine, while she still receives her refund?
  • did you ever find out what to do?? I am in a similar situation...
Since you are claiming your children as dependents, they cannot claim any education expenses or credits on their federal tax return.  Only you can claim the education expenses and credits on your return.
  • so when my son is doing his taxes and he says he is a dependent on someone elses taxes, why is TT still asking for his 1098T information? shouldn't it say he cant because he is a dependent on someone elses?
  • this is a good question.  I would like to know this answer as well.
  • I, also, have this question/issue, and I am still confused...so, do the students still need to file their own tax forms? I filed and claimed my two college-aged sons for the education expenses and credit.
  • Why TT is slow answering our questions now?
  • I don't know, but I have a lot of problems with getting my returns rejected from state..tried everything!  I called and they said just skip through it? that doesn't make sense..
  • Hello...turbo tax is not making sense! If my childs income is over a certain amount then it cannot be added to my 1040, and I can claim them as a dependent, but yet she MUST file her own taxes....plus she was lucky enough to have extra scholarship income over eligible tuition not included on any W2 and must be reported...where does this go??
  • I'm in the same boat. Why hasn't TT answered yet??????????????????? We would like an answer as paying customers.