what is form 8891

You have to fill it out if you received distributions (maybe even if you did not and have not yet made an election to defer US taxes on the accumulation  in the plan until you start taking distributions). If you were issued NR4 - See http://smallbusiness.chron.com/include-nr4-form-turbotax-32003.html

But this year (for 2012 taxes) there is a problem:

I believe this year the TT (for 2012) has a logical bug in the software that drives the Form 8891. I have tried to alert Intuit to it, but I don't know if anyone else but users read these forums. I think the form incorrectly assumes that if you check the YES box on line 6a (you have previously chosen to defer US taxes on the undistributed income from the plan (and yet have distributions this year), the calculation erroneously stops after line 7 and does not transfer anything (even the actual distributions received). If I don't get any answers from Intuit on this by the end of this month I am just overriding the calculations manually on both 8891 (and 1040 lines 16 a/b where this should flow). By the way, if you tried to claim a credit for the tax the Canadian government withheld from your pension, you probably noticed the form 1116 also does not calculate correctly as a consequence.