TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

i live in maryland and worked in pa

what state do i file in
    Looks like Maryland and Pennsylvania have a reciprocal work agreement which means you only pay tax in the state in which you live. Also - make sure on your W-2 that the state withholding is all from Maryland. It will have the Maryland state abbreviation. If it has PA then it may be incorrect or you will need to file in PA to get the withholding back, because it was paid to them and not to Maryland
    • I have more  then one w-2 from my company because of working in 3 states I did my delaware and maryland (home state) and tried to do Pa but am not getting refund or credit to md
    • Again Maryland and Pennsylvania have a reciprocal agreement so you shouldn't have to file in PA. The additional stuff I wrote was just wanting you make sure your W-2 was correct. You need to delete the PA return
    • will the taxes paid to pa show on md even if I do not do a return if you look at my md return it shows pay to de for a tax credit but not pa how do i correct so that i am not taxes twice
    • You shouldn't have paid taxes to PA. Check your W-2 and look down in the state section it should have the MA abbreviation - not the PA abbreviation. If so you paid taxes to MA only and you won't even file a PA return as you are not required to
    • it has pa / de / and md but the md and pa employer state id number are the same in box 15
    If you had withholdings for PA you will need to file a PA return to get a refund.  And you need to declare this PA income on your MD return.

    So you need to file a DE non resident return on your Delaware income
    File a MD resident return showing all your income.  You should be eligible for a tax credit on MD return for taxes paid to Delaware.
    File a PA nonresident return to obtain a refund of any taxes withheld, if any. Otherwise do not need to file a PA return.  See PA instructions, page 11, on how to do this, it may be easier to file on paper. 

    • Does this also coincide with WV and OH, I live in WV and work in OH, and Have no OH taxes taken out on my W2s only WV taxes.
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

    Similar questions other people found helpful: