My Federal Return Was Accepted early!

I got confirmation tonight via email from the IRS and TurboTax that our return was accepted early and to expect an email following with further direct deposit information.

Who else here has gotten this? Any other information on this?
  • Got my email overnight too and it said the processing still starts on the 30th and on my phone app it says estimated refund date before Feb 15...
  • Me too
  • Lol exciting to see progress even though we still have to wait for the 30th isn't it? Sure will be glad to get mine this year...
  • I got my confirmation also but cant find when the first deposits will be going in anyone heard anything on that part yet?
  • No they still won't start processing till the 30th BUT...my phone app says expect my DD BEFORE Feb.15...I'm hoping for the first week of Feb. Someone on another comment said theirs said they'd have it Feb 5! Yay for them!
  • Accepted!!!! yay!!!!
  • They aren't going to give a refund cycle chart this year. You can call the where's my refund # to get an estimate. But you need to wait 72 hours or they won't have your info yet.
  • I think they were saying the 30th as the latest date to be safe. Can you imagine the rewrites on a software system for the federal government?
  • I got an email tonight too!
  • Rsprak   When did you file? And you just got notified tonight (Saturday?) that they accepted your taxes ?
  • I filed the 24th (Thurs,) I would of filed earlier if I knew this would happen. I also read that a few people that filed on Tues. the 22nd already received their refunds yesterday.
  • @rsprak I filed on Thursday (est), in New York. I was accepted late last nite maybe early this morning. So I guess I will see how long for them to deposit my money into my account. Also did check SBBT website and it already says  just waiting for the IRS to make the deposit.
  • Mickey, can you give me the info for SBBT, I had it last year but I don't remember it. BTW, I have read a few have got their refunds, they were accepted Tuesday the 22nd and received on friday the 25th…if that helps anyone, maybe the will be processed in a few days.
  • I was accepted yesterday during the day but my turbotax app says feb 20th... and i filed on the 22nd.
  • what phone app are you using.  My text said it was accepted early, but didn't give me an estimation date.
  • Mytaxreturn its a TT app!
  • thank you, mine just says before Feb. 20
  • Got my money this morning. It was scheduled for tom but my bank deposits a day early.
  • @gremlin1 , When did you file? Did you pay the fees upfront or did it come out of your refund?
  • I filled Jan 10th accepted Jan 25th. I did pay the fees up front.
  • I filed Jan. 11 and was accepted on the 25, but I had the fees come out of my refund.  But I am getting very excited now.
  • I checked WMR this am, says accepted being sent feb 5th, should be to my bank by the 9th. I filed the 24th accepted the 26th
  • Oh, and btw TT site still says pending and they sent me an email the 26th. Yesterday WMR & the phone # said it was still pending…then later on it said they had no info…just so everyone knows things can be delayed in the systems and flat out wrong, and it is still processing. I will post again when I get the DD.
  • mine says accepted but doesn't give a date unless I am missing it somewhere
  • Mine is the same. I received a text from TaxAct that said "Great news, (my name)! Your federal return was accepted by the IRS. Check your email for a confirmation message." Well, that was yesterday at 4:58pm EST and it is now 9AM the next morning and I still have not received the email. When I sign in to TaxAct it says Accepted with a little message underneath that I was chosen by the IRS to be accepted early. I am not sure what this means because when I go onto "Where's My Refund" all it says is that my return was accepted but it does not say that my refund was accepted or processed. So, being accepted early really doesn't mean anything? I'm confused. P.S. I know this is a year after your comment but apparently this happened to people in many years prior along with this year as well....
Also....
Saw this on Y! answers thought it looked legit. I think I may be able to shed some light on this matter for everyone. This only applies to the few filers that have already been acknowledged as "Accepted" from the IRS. A friend of mine actually works for the developer of the new Efile system, and has been working with the IRS as an independent contractor for each of the past 4 tax seasons as they h...ave increased the usage of the MeF system. Every year, they have pulled a few hundred tax returns earlier than the initial processing start date to test the system. This gives them a chance to ensure that the system works correctly and can correct any software issues prior to the mass influx of returns on the real processing date. The reason they do this is because the system can become overloaded and crash, similar to a website server crash, and it did in fact crash last year the first day the IRS officially opened processing- delaying some returns by a week. The fixed the system within a day, and everything went smoothly from then on for the most part. So there's a brief history of what they do and why. Now, this year, like previous, they have pulled a couple hundred returns a day beginning this week (a week early) to get a run through, because the MeF will be used exclusively for the first time.

According to my friend, if you've been accepted you have an 80% chance of the return being processed and refund being issued by the system within 3-5 days. The other 20% that don't have typically been flagged by the system and the return needs to be manually gone over to check for fraud or typical errors. Those people can expect a 1 to 3 week delay in their processing. This is why the IRS has not released a refund cycle chart this year, and why they delayed the mass processing until Jan. 30, it gives them a buffer. Previously, people took the cycle chart as the be all, end all when the IRS clearly stated it was not a guarantee of deposit or check dates.

Anyway, with that said, If you've been accepted this week, there is a strong possibility that you will have your refund by next week, before the IRS has even officially opened tax season. I can tell you as well, that most of the returns that were accepted the first day of testing have already been processed and refunds were issued beginning today. Anyone who was accepted by today (Friday, 1/25), could expect to start seeing their refund issued by Wednesday (1/30) even earlier in some cases. Once again, this only applies to the few filers that have already been acknowledged as "Accepted" from the IRS. So, like the IRS I can't guarantee when you'll get your money, but I can tell you that you should feel pretty optimistic (about 80% optimistic) that you'll be seeing your refund quite earlier than you thought if you've already been accepted. The other thing to keep in mind to is that once the IRS has direct deposited your refund to your bank, it's up to your bank when they make that money available. For example, my bank no matter what, makes every direct deposit to my account paycheck, refund or otherwise available at 8 AM the next business day. They could have received the deposit at 8:01 AM on a Friday and it won't be available to me until 8:01 AM on Monday. so just make sure to check with your bank on their policies, which they don't always abide by. My bank claims to release the funds as soon as they receive them; which is a load of crap as I pointed out to you how they make the money available to me.

If you're getting a direct deposit from a 3rd party because you opted to take out the fee to have your returns done by a tax software or professional (i.e. using Turbo Tax and opting to pay via your refund) add another day or 2 to your wait because the irs will deposit the refund to SBTPG (the bank TT uses) and then SBTPG will deposit the refund minus their fees to your bank. And typically banks hold this money longer because it is not coming from a government agency.

Source(s):

Software Developer, Independent Contractor for IRS MeF systems
  • Thank you...mine was accepted on the 25th.  I opted to pay for mine out of my refund, so I guess I can expect a couple more days.  This was very helpful.  I am OCD and I can't take things like this very well.
  • Oh im right there with you!!! Im trying to mentally plan on having it by February 20th that way it will be supeerrrr exciting if it comes earlier but not being anxious about the $$ in beyond hard!! I think the IRS just put a wide date range in order to deter people from calling them which is understandable. Although its hard, people need to not rely on this $$... we are talking about the shady government here, which things can change at the drop of the dime- its unfortunate but thats just how it is. =/ Lets keep our fingers crossed for receiving our $$ early!! =)
  • I'll keep you posted.
  • Also Wheres My Refund officially "opens" tomorrow and supposedly its suppose to have more up to date 411 then previous years, which will make a lot more people feel at ease. =)
  • Yay........I will be so upset if it says something worse than I have already heard though....lol
I did receive one but it said irs will not process refunds until the 30th....
  • Mine states Feb 5 direct deposit.
  • I got one but it said irs will not process refund until the 30th
  • KrSrwrt, what state are you in?
  • I got it to... But it also just states that they will not be processing refunds until Jan 30
  • I received the same email and it also says it will not process until Jan 30th.  Is there a cycle chart out yet
  • I got the same email but no direct deposit day
  • Ruthiepa they aren't putting out a refund cycle chart the year. My phone app says estimated DD before Feb.15..Good luck all!
  • A few people stated that their state was accepted and have got it deposited. From Ohio
  • Where did you hear this
  • my ohio says pending until the 30 when the irs begins
Yes I also received the same message but in bold letters the email states they will not begin processing until the 30th.
    I filed 1/24
    Got email this morning
    Estimated refund date feb 20
      Check WMD www.irs.gov
      • it keeps telling me............ We are sorry Where's My Refund is currently unavailable. Please try again later or call the Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954.
      • hey yall! i filed on the 16th, accepted (federal) on the 24th. this morning i checked the wmr site and it said my direct deposit date was feb 1. just checked the bank turbo tax uses to take the fees out, they still havent received my refund yet. is the dd date for when i will have my money, or is it the date that the irs is gna send it to the santa barbra bank?
      • I'm pretty sure BBC its the datr it will go into the acct, so since you opted for fees to be paid out of eeturn it will go to sbbt first. The good news last year mine was at sbbt on a friday and funds were in my acct on sat morning.
      • yeah, im just confused on that. but i'll get it when it comes in. lol
      • finally got through with WMR it says processing even though i already got a email saying accepted but last year my money was on my card the same day it went to sbbt
      • how do you know it is at sbbt
      • https://cisc.sbtpg.com
      • thank you...it says mine will be deposited the 6th, but i guess that means to the other bank not mine.  The other bank says it isn't there yet.
      • my dd was 2/5 it got deposited to the sbbt today at like 10am it just went to  my netspend card 12pm =) good luck
      • Mine went to SBBT today and they show that they already sent it to my bank so I should have it tomorrow just as the WMR said. WOOT!
      • great....we need to all go spend some money
      • @BabyGirlShoup, I just checked SBBT and it still is not showing nothing for me, but IRS states my DD date being 2/6/13.  Also call the 800 number telling me the same thing too.  So I do not knw why SBBT is not giving me any information.  But glad for you.  Hopefully I see something tomorrow.
      • I checked sbbt and it shows nothing for me.  My deposit is supposed to be the 6th.  The wmr now says it has no informatioin but the phone does.  They must be really busy.
      • if you check wmr to much it locks you out
      • well there goes my ocd problem.  lol  I'll quit for today.  Tomorrow is a new day!!!!!!!!!!!
      This is pissing me off.  I filed on 1/22 and people who filed later are getting accepted?????  WTH!?!?!?!?!  IRS Site says they process them on a first come first serve basis.  BS Evidently.  Just another lie from the government.
      • I filed on the 4th,got accepted at 3 40 am on the 25th but no cash yet   :(  Hopefully soon cause lots of people have received their federal refunds already! Good luck to all of us!
      • Where's the proof that ppl have gotten their money already?
      • it doesnt matter when you filed the people that got accepted early is just a random test batch
      • Yeah...I filed for 4 people-2 of us have been accepted and 2 still pending...
      • Yeah, I filed on the 15th, and STILL no acceptance email..... :( What gives??? I filed a week before most of the ppl saying they got accepted!
      • Yeah it's crazy. I did mine and the first coworker one after the other and mine is accepted and hers isn't. Did the other coworkers about 2 weeks later and HERS is accepted too! Did my daughters a few days ago and hers is still pending lol...
      • @laurie you did not answer my question. You said people were receiving their federal already. I want proof.
      • Ok, I finally got notification today (I filed on 1/22) that they accepted mine early and I had a lot of itemized stuff from a side business soooooooooooo ............... (fingers crossed).  No news on a refund yet though except that I should receive it before 2/20.
      i got mine as well! although, they're not processing til the 30th, it still doesnt tell me an exact date. my turbotax app says before 14 feb though. works for me! :D
      • Jess…,  I got an email too, but the app still says pending. Was there a little time before the app gave you a date after you were accepted?
      I received the same message this is what the E-Mail read

What this means:
      Congratulations! TurboTax was able to have your return accepted early by the IRS. You're finished with your taxes.

Even though you've been accepted early, please note that the IRS does not begin processing refunds until January 30.

• I got my Email last night and all it said was:
        What this means:
        Congratulations! The IRS has accepted this return, and you're finished with your taxes

On the TT app it says:
        ERD before feb 14

IRS2go app:
        No info found yet

I filed 1/18 and accepted 1/24.
      • The irs app is still running last years they haven't updated their app :( I just noticed myself
      Not sure if anyone is interested but I found these websites to be informative.

This site talks about the IRS and different topics (WMR etc)
      http://igotmyrefund.com/hot/

And this is a FB page about refunds
      https://www.facebook.com/igotmyrefund
        Where's my refund says my money will be there Feb 1st!!!
        • when did you get accepted
        • Same here!! Yayyyy us!
        • Me too. Must be overloaded or something. The phone number says they received my return and my refund will be processed within 21 days- no date like other people have said.
        • the phone is telling my the same thing as the website just with out the phone number
        • Same here
        • As of today I am know officially accepted on WMR
        • WOO HOO!! YAY! :) Do you have a date for refund yet? Or just accepted?
        • received my federal today the 4th, WMR said it would be sent to me the 4th…was early just so everyone has an idea.

Is this count for this year as well? I was accepted early